CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #811
Stanley Walter

Profile:
Re: The Official Smolov Support Thread

Insane to me that the two hardest workouts of the week are on back to back days.

Either week 4 day 3.

7x5x255#. Felt pretty good. A bit sore, but being active during the workday with a lot of walking around is helping me a lot.

Day is day 4, so 10x3x270#. I'll report back. It is a weight I've hit before with those kinds of reps, but not after squatting the whole week, much less the day before.

Question for the guys who have been through this before. When it comes to week for and the testing of the new 1RM, how do you actually test it.

Say I go 5x135#, 3x185#, 3x250#, and then go 1x320#(old 1RM), and then my goal of 1x360#?
Old 03-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #812
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

I warm up, hit my old max and go up 10-5lb increments as I feel able.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #813
Evan Pennington

Profile:

Smolov week 3 day 4:

Squats:
340X3X10 sets

*pushups, chins, rear delt work

DONE with the base cycle. I will take the next 6 days off, with maybe a little bit of upper body work, and then test my max. If I can get anywhere from 390 to 410 I will be very happy. Not sure if I want to run the intense cycle yet, but I will make that decision after I complete my max day.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #814
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Do it!!!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #815
Evan Pennington

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Do it!!!
lulz... I'm considering doing the intense cycle WITH smolov jr for bench.... thats right
Old 03-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #816
Stanley Walter

Profile:

How is your form towards the end? Mine suffers quite a bit.

Either way, did the 10x3x270#. More or less killed it. Was hard as expected though.

So glad when it was over.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:55 AM   #817
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Walter View Post
How is your form towards the end? Mine suffers quite a bit.

Either way, did the 10x3x270#. More or less killed it. Was hard as expected though.

So glad when it was over.
You guys are kicking ***. Big weights flying all over the place.

I posted aaaages ago about a guy iv trained with in the past who ran a successful JNR cycle for bench and incline rows (during his rugby season - he wouldn't run a leg cycle mid season).

He is nearing the end of the season and ran another couple of cycles recently. One was close grip bench and shrugs. After each bench set he would perform a set of chins at about 40-50% of his chins rep max. He would also do some dynamic leg work each session. Either speed squats, or box jumps or sled pulls or lunges with rotations holding a medicine ball etc. You get the idea. Obviously not a tonne of leg work in season, but he did do a fair amount of hill bike work to.

That brought on some great gains in strength and size. He then ran a cycle focused on more bodyweight moves. He chose dips and chins. He knew his max weighted dip and chin so could use the same percentages. Said it worked almost as well as the previous one.

He said he tends to start by calculating 90% of his max, and then basing all the lift percentages off of 90% not his full max.

Interesting alternative, and one that worked really well. Thought you would like to know.

Richard
Old 04-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #818
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Pennington View Post
Smolov week 3 day 4:

Squats:
340X3X10 sets

*pushups, chins, rear delt work

DONE with the base cycle. I will take the next 6 days off, with maybe a little bit of upper body work, and then test my max. If I can get anywhere from 390 to 410 I will be very happy. Not sure if I want to run the intense cycle yet, but I will make that decision after I complete my max day.
Just a point of reference. I ended my Smolov Base with 345 for 10x3. My goal was 405x1, but that ended up being easy so I went for 415 and nailed it.

If you go for the intense, I'd suggest using 10 lbs less than you hit at your tested max at the end of base. I used 415 for mine, and ended up failing 2 of the 5x5 @ 385 workouts (but completing each of them upon repeating).

Also I ran Jr. Press along side of intense, totally doable. Not sure about bench though as I ran that along side the base cycle.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #819
Stanley Walter

Profile:

Week 2, Day 1 of the base cycle.

4x9x245#.

I was really worried about my form after reading all the stories in the 'injury' section about people with herniated or bulged disks. Took a couple videos and it seems fine. I MIGHT not go down as far as I should, but it is pretty close. Back is straight as an arrow. Only problem is on the hard sets sometimes I start leaning forward a bit.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #820
Adrian Cabrera

Profile:

Would it be too much to run smolov in the mornings with my crossfit strength + metcon's at night?