CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 04-20-2008, 05:46 AM   #1
Robert Pierce

Profile:
First Adventure Race

I think that this qualifies as a testimonial...

...my partner and I, both mid 40's, both solo CrossFitters, finished respectably in our first adventure race. It was the 1st Annual Capital City Adventure Race in Jefferson City, MO. About twenty-eight miles total, broken down as follows:

~19 miles road biking
4.65 miles of (very muddy) single track trail biking
1.7 miles of open water canoeing
2.8 miles of trail running
~1.5 miles of "mystery event" running

Now I had done a laughable amount of road bike preparation for this event...two 11 mile rides...and no single track trail biking. But we finished 20th out of 42 teams, despite one flat tire and one sprained ankle. The Crossfit prepared us fairly well, particularly for the stuff requiring more upper body strength, like the canoeing, where we gained considerable time. I was surprised at how much upper body and core strength was required for the single track trail biking...the course was nasty, with mud, downed trees, rocks, and roots...we really had to muscle the bikes around a lot...and in this portion we performed acceptable well, too. My ankle sprain crossing the muddy creek and lack of endurance on the road portions held us back a bit. But next year...