CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-18-2004, 04:06 PM   #1
Gary James Yetter, Jr.

Profile:  
Hello,
A couple of co-workers and myslef are planning on competing in one of the Balance Bar adventure races in late July. It's basically a 1-2 mile kayak course, a 10-15 bike ride, and a 5-8 mile trail run, along with 10 "special tests." I am wondering how we should prepare for this thing. Should I follow the CrossFit routines and mix in some specific race training regularly or what? Thanks for your help.
Gary
Old 05-19-2004, 04:20 PM   #2
Thomas Whitehead

Profile:
I don't know any truly sport-specific training for an adventure race. But, I do participate in endurance sports and I have been considering doing an adventure race. My training plan would be to wake-up and do my endurance training (running/biking/swimming/paddling) whatever it may be for the race. This part of my training would be specifically for the adventure race. Then, at some other juncture in the day, when I have time to do CrossFit (early evening for me), I would get to the gym and do the CrossFit routine. Just be mindful that with all this training, you will be very prone to injury/overtraining, especially early on. Ease into it. If it feels bad, it probably is.

This is just my $.02
Old 05-22-2004, 06:10 AM   #3
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
Oh say...I might be able to help here. two of my buddies and i competed in these for about 3 years, even placed 1st in the men's division in Phoenix Az race several years ago. Would recommend xfit instead of bodybuilding style weight training(wish i had known then). you should add, however, a distance run once a week and a longish bike(say 30-40 miles). weighted pack runs good here. you have to adapt your body to 3-7 hrs of constant high-level exertion. we completed them in 3 and a half to 4 and a half hrs most of the time. rest for at least one week prior to competing. i did absolutely nothing for two wks prior to our phoenix win due to a cold. you are required to wear pfd in the water and swims usually very short, as a transition from land to kayak for example. i am super crappy swimmer and managed. brush up on your orienteering. MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL:if you are friends you want to stay that way. each of you will have weakness. support each other. also, they have a way of equalizing; in one race at Lake Castaic, we had to each hold onto a rubber donut. One donut, 3 hands. letting go meant dq. this meant running the run was fairly awkward. starting the race with a 2x4 suspended from two guys shoulders and the third hanging from it while running a quarter to half a mile in the water, up to your knees/hips, is a brutal start to a race so long. just one example. mysteries? well, lets just say they come up with all kinds of crazy, cool stuff. these events are absolutely the most fun i have ever had. hint; starts in waves. if you guys are quick, start in front. there is often bottlenecking. BUT, do not go out with the rabbits. you may very well pass them later. we usually did. bottlenecking often prevented us from getting to some of the coed teams tho. they go first. tensions can mount in the mystery events. the only practice you can do is orienteering(all three, they can split you up)and working as a team. the kayak;flat water, inflatable kayaks x 2. 2 guys in one 1 in the other. some teams lash their kayaks. these have usually practiced frequently. good idea to get inflatable to practice strokes and figure out your skills. i usually went solo and was faster than my partners. did this matter? no. you have to stay together(unless as above). the wind loves those inflatables and they are really fun at night with a slow leak. ****e! stay away from crowds on the water. lots of inexperience in these races. same for the mountain bike. have foods and extra bladders in the transition area.
you lucky dog. i must put together some guys and start doing these again. you will be grubby, exhausted(unless uber athelete, i am not)and so freakin' self-satisfied when you are done. oh, wear lycra skins and coolmax tee, not baggy. you have to wear a bib over it. baggy shorts hold water, catch on the bike seat, and chafe. not bike shorts, the pad sucks when wet. sorry, you have gotten me all excited. i am going to have to take a cold shower. ENJOY, YOU WILL LOVE THIS @#$%^! dale.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:43 PM   #4
Gary James Yetter, Jr.

Profile:  
dale,
thanks so much for sharing your adventure racing experiences! i have been doing the WODs everyday and biking everywhere i go. i got a local outdoor store to help sponsor us so we'll be getting kayaks to practice with here soon. this is gonna rock! gary
Old 05-22-2004, 05:16 PM   #5
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
p.s. the donut was rubber, not a krispy kreme. if you continue doing these, in the future incorporate brick training. this is merely running/biking/swimming back to back for ex. run/bike/run or bike/run/bike or swim/run. gets your mind used to how your muscles will behave transitioning from one event to another. yes, it does rock! :smile: