CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
Spencer Pearlman

Profile:
Thinking About L1

Quick background - graduated from college back in May and will be going to law school in the fall of 2014. I started Crossfit over the summer when I started to get bored with regular bodybuilding mixed with power cleans (been doing them on and off for a few years to help with my vertical). Kept my bodybuilding split, kinda, but added in some WODs every day (sometimes did 2, depending on how I felt).

Since I came back home (I was in another state all summer), I've been doing Crossfit out of my garage every day (mixing in 5x5 to build strength and endurance work). I've been absolutely hooked since I started over the summer and I enjoy it even more now. I've been working out friends since the summer, so I have some "experience" when it comes to teaching.

Anyways, I am interested in getting my L1 to possibly teach part time (or full time, if there are positions available) -- at least until I move back out and head to law school (but, even then, I will still try to teach during the summer if I can). If I can't find a position right away, I think I would still like to have the certification in my back pocket, just in case.

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Thinking About L1

Not sure what feedback you are looking for.

Yes, if you plan to coach Crossfit and (more specifically) use the Crossfit name, you have to have your cert.

- Mark
Old 12-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
Spencer Pearlman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Not sure what feedback you are looking for.

Yes, if you plan to coach Crossfit and (more specifically) use the Crossfit name, you have to have your cert.

- Mark
I know you need your certification to coach. Just looking for some input on whether it's worth it.

I guess another question would be, how hard is it to find a coaching position?
Old 12-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Well, you could always start with the affiliate finder map on the main page and send out some feelers if anybody is interested and decide based on if you get a bite or not.

Otherwise, the cert is good for a few years. Probably wouldn't hurt anything to take it if you know you want to coach.

Here's what came up when I searched for Scarsdale, NY.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	13073  
Old 12-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Pearlman View Post
I know you need your certification to coach. Just looking for some input on whether it's worth it.
Not trying to be difficult, but honestly this would depend on where/how you find value. If you get your cert and then don't coach, or don't like coaching, then arguably it probably wasn't worth it. If you get your cert, get a position, and love it, then it was probably worth it.

Quote:
I guess another question would be, how hard is it to find a coaching position?
It's just like any other job; i.e. depends on market need in your area and how qualified the box owners perceive you to be. I have seen it be very easy for some folks to get a position quickly and very difficult for others.

- Mark
Old 12-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Spencer Pearlman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Well, you could always start with the affiliate finder map on the main page and send out some feelers if anybody is interested and decide based on if you get a bite or not.

Otherwise, the cert is good for a few years. Probably wouldn't hurt anything to take it if you know you want to coach.

Here's what came up when I searched for Scarsdale, NY.
Thanks for that. I should start sending out some emails then, I guess. Can't hurt. A position here would be until the summer -- at which point, I would move out and look for a new position wherever I go to law school. *Hopefully*
Old 12-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Spencer Pearlman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Not trying to be difficult, but honestly this would depend on where/how you find value. If you get your cert and then don't coach, or don't like coaching, then arguably it probably wasn't worth it. If you get your cert, get a position, and love it, then it was probably worth it.

It's just like any other job; i.e. depends on market need in your area and how qualified the box owners perceive you to be. I have seen it be very easy for some folks to get a position quickly and very difficult for others.

- Mark
I know you weren't trying to be difficult. No worries.

Getting the cert now would open up the possibility of coaching for the next 5 years, if I cannot get a job as a trainer now. That's what I meant by having it in my "back pocket."

I'm pretty sure I would enjoy coaching, if I get a position. I've coached basketball before and have trained friends...enjoyed both experiences. Also had experience with the lifts prior to Crossfit at a place I worked out for basketball -- helped expand the facility from only physical therapy to a place where they can train athletes.

The L1 cert was something I thought about when I first got home, but decided against it -- figured it would be smart to think more about it / gather more information and see what happened with non-Crossfit related things.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Pearlman View Post
Thanks for that. I should start sending out some emails then, I guess. Can't hurt. A position here would be until the summer -- at which point, I would move out and look for a new position wherever I go to law school. *Hopefully*
That's what I did. I don't have my L1 yet, but I am only an assistant for the time being. Apparently my gym is large enough to hold certs so I am trying to hold out for that so I can get it for free.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
Spencer Pearlman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
That's what I did. I don't have my L1 yet, but I am only an assistant for the time being. Apparently my gym is large enough to hold certs so I am trying to hold out for that so I can get it for free.
Getting certified for free would be pretty clutch.

I'm going to go to a few of the gyms this weekend and ask them -- figured it's better than just emailing (which I will do anyway after - in person may be better, though).

There are a few of the L1 certs I can go to, including one in Manhattan mid-January - which would be easy to get to. Hopefully I can just go to that one...if not, there are a few others (relatively) close by. Worst case scenario, I go to one out of state but near schools I will be applying to, and check out the schools while I'm down there.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
Spencer Pearlman

Profile:

Took your advice and started looking. Went to a few of them but only spoke to someone at 2 of them (others were closed because I got there too early).

First coach I talked to -- told her what I was interested in, talked about my experience coaching / experience with crossfit, etc. Super nice. I left my phone number and name.

Second coach I talked to -- really cool guy. The coaches at the gym, I think, are all ex marines (I know it's at least 2 of the 3). Spoke for about 30 minutes. Said once the L1 was done, I could coach there -- could shadow before hand. He also said I had to complete the on ramp class ~2 weeks (but maybe shorter due to my experience) -- all the coaches completed it before coaching. I really liked this place. Coaches seemed really cool and I really liked the values of the gym -- felt like a real community/family. Only downside is they are moving to a place that is further away (~30 minutes away instead of ~10)...but that's not terrible. This new place they seem really excited about -- big space, right on river, etc. On ramp starts Monday! Can't wait.

They also said they could help me studying for the L1 if I need any -- ask questions if I have any. I started reading it today. I know it's a month early, but it can't hurt starting now.

Last edited by Spencer Pearlman : 12-12-2013 at 09:54 PM.