CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
David Bayer
Member David Bayer is offline
 
David Bayer's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kelso  WA
Posts: 36
Is NASM worth it?

I have been trying to get into being a paid coach at a Crossfit gym for a year as of January. I have my CF L-1, CF Powerlifting, CF Strongman as of this weekend, and I plan on getting my USAW next year as well. Aside from certifications I have great skills with teaching basic and advanced movements of olympic lifting, I paid for a six week course at an Olympic lifting gym out of town, on top of that I have great people skills, and I went to college for business so I know a bit about marketing, I even own my own clothes line lifewithnoglory.com. Anyways, the point is, should I spend my money on getting a NASM certification to further my knowledge and increase my chances at becoming a Crossfit gym trainer or should I not. Also I am 19
__________________
It's not about the size of the dog in the fight. It's about the size of the fight in the dog

Last edited by David Bayer : 10-23-2013 at 08:32 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
Brad Gerbrandt
Affiliate Brad Gerbrandt is offline
 
Brad Gerbrandt's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Winnipeg  MB
Posts: 361
Re: Is NASM worth it?

If your goal is to work in a CrossFit gym, it's probably not worth it. If you want to work elsewhere in the fitness industry it might not be a bad idea.

Are you currently a member of a CF gym? That would be the first thing to do. Very few hire people they don't know. Buy a 6 month membership to a local gym and in a month say you are interesting in interning/shadowing. Owners will be much more receptive to someone they know.
__________________
www.prairiecrossfit.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
David Bayer
Member David Bayer is offline
 
David Bayer's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kelso  WA
Posts: 36
Re: Is NASM worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gerbrandt View Post
If your goal is to work in a CrossFit gym, it's probably not worth it. If you want to work elsewhere in the fitness industry it might not be a bad idea.

Are you currently a member of a CF gym? That would be the first thing to do. Very few hire people they don't know. Buy a 6 month membership to a local gym and in a month say you are interesting in interning/shadowing. Owners will be much more receptive to someone they know.
I have been a member to both gyms in my area. One for a year and one off and on for a few months. One I have worked for free off and on but they just don't have the money to hire someone or they are waiting for a girl to hire I am pretty sure. The other I have not been a member for so long but they have talked about having me shadow for a while for a possible hire when they need new trainers. I am about to the point where I would like to move to a gym that will hire me. And I would like to get the NASM so I can do some PT'ing at another gym while waiting to get hired on as a Crossfit trainer. But at the same time I don't want to qualify over every other trainer and have gyms intimidated to hire me..
__________________
It's not about the size of the dog in the fight. It's about the size of the fight in the dog
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
Brad Gerbrandt
Affiliate Brad Gerbrandt is offline
 
Brad Gerbrandt's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Winnipeg  MB
Posts: 361
Re: Is NASM worth it?

They won't (or at least shouldn't) be intimated by you if you have a few certs. You will come to realize that all the certifications in the world won't make a good trainer. I already had my Bachelor's and Master's in Ex. Sci plus a handful of other letters behind my name when I first started in the CF world. I had to start at the bottom just like everyone else.

Like I said, getting your NASM probably won't do anything for you in the CrossFit world. But if it helps you in the mean time, go for it.

I'm just going to put this out there, but maybe they are looking for a certain personality (or like you said: female) for the next coach they hire. I know we don't hire everyone that comes to us with a Lvl 1 and interest in coaching.
__________________
www.prairiecrossfit.com

Last edited by Brad Gerbrandt : 10-24-2013 at 09:51 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
Mike Doehla
Affiliate Mike Doehla is offline
 
Mike Doehla's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Newburgh  NY
Posts: 744
Re: Is NASM worth it?

I was going to go that route but then was changed my mind because I care way more about the CF thing than I do training people for fun like I originally intended. If the 600+ wont break the bank and you don't mind studying (more than what most people expect) for a few months, go for it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
David Bayer
Member David Bayer is offline
 
David Bayer's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kelso  WA
Posts: 36
Re: Is NASM worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doehla View Post
I was going to go that route but then was changed my mind because I care way more about the CF thing than I do training people for fun like I originally intended. If the 600+ wont break the bank and you don't mind studying (more than what most people expect) for a few months, go for it.
I care about olympic lifting and Crossfit more than anything! Coaching at a gym is the funnest work I have ever done. I would not have a problem doing it for free if I had more money. But I am looking to be able to move out eventually, I want to meet and train at other big Crossfit gyms to pick the brains of the best, and I may even start my own gym later down the road. But to do those things I need money. And I would much rather work as a Personal trainer rather than a bank or other 9-5 job like I used to..
__________________
It's not about the size of the dog in the fight. It's about the size of the fight in the dog
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
David Bayer
Member David Bayer is offline
 
David Bayer's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kelso  WA
Posts: 36
Re: Is NASM worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gerbrandt View Post
They won't (or at least shouldn't) be intimated by you if you have a few certs. You will come to realize that all the certifications in the world won't make a good trainer. I already had my Bachelor's and Master's in Ex. Sci plus a handful of other letters behind my name when I first started in the CF world. I had to start at the bottom just like everyone else.

Like I said, getting your NASM probably won't do anything for you in the CrossFit world. But if it helps you in the mean time, go for it.

I'm just going to put this out there, but maybe they are looking for a certain personality (or like you said: female) for the next coach they hire. I know we don't hire everyone that comes to us with a Lvl 1 and interest in coaching.
Yea that may be true, in that case I am literally so desperate that I would ask what personality they want and try to mimic it. I can't mimic being a girl obviously and it is naive to think I can just flop my personality. But I am damned to this determination of becoming a coach at a Crossfit gym. The clients I have made good friends with, they told me they love my coaching because I am friendly and loud. I had them tell that directly to the owners. This was when I subbed a week for them because they were all on vacation. They have 3 owners, all of them coaches, and none of them female. Like I said, I am almost to the point where I will move to a crossfit gym that will hire me after a few skype interviews or opening my own gym all together. This is somewhat becoming off topic though to me ranting haha
__________________
It's not about the size of the dog in the fight. It's about the size of the fight in the dog
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Mike Doehla
Affiliate Mike Doehla is offline
 
Mike Doehla's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Newburgh  NY
Posts: 744
Re: Is NASM worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bayer View Post
Yea that may be true, in that case I am literally so desperate that I would ask what personality they want and try to mimic it. I can't mimic being a girl obviously and it is naive to think I can just flop my personality. But I am damned to this determination of becoming a coach at a Crossfit gym. The clients I have made good friends with, they told me they love my coaching because I am friendly and loud. I had them tell that directly to the owners. This was when I subbed a week for them because they were all on vacation. They have 3 owners, all of them coaches, and none of them female. Like I said, I am almost to the point where I will move to a crossfit gym that will hire me after a few skype interviews or opening my own gym all together. This is somewhat becoming off topic though to me ranting haha
Love the drive man. I am in the early stages of opening one up. The thought of doing this rather than sitting at a desk all day sounds amazing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
David Bayer
Member David Bayer is offline
 
David Bayer's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kelso  WA
Posts: 36
Re: Is NASM worth it?

Thanks! I liked your page, Hopefully things kick off for you!
__________________
It's not about the size of the dog in the fight. It's about the size of the fight in the dog
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
Brad Gerbrandt
Affiliate Brad Gerbrandt is offline
 
Brad Gerbrandt's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Winnipeg  MB
Posts: 361
Re: Is NASM worth it?

Watch these boards, if you are willing to move, there are always gyms looking to hire coaches.
__________________
www.prairiecrossfit.com
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NASM CES, PES questions Bill Houghton Running a CrossFit Facility 10 03-30-2010 03:47 PM
other certifications - spec. NASM Steve Loeding Running a CrossFit Facility 2 09-14-2009 02:52 AM
pt certs - nasm, issa, afpa, etc... are any of them worth it? Mee Lee Fitness 7 08-26-2009 12:37 PM
Help NASM questions.... Karissa Kutcher Community 0 11-06-2007 08:17 PM
NSCA vs NASM Howard Wilcox Running a CrossFit Facility 17 05-17-2007 09:48 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.