CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-03-2006, 08:23 AM   #1
Christian Hansen

Profile:
Hope this isn't OT for this forum. I'm coming down with something (sore throat, tired, thin phlegm) and I'm just keeping it at bay (I've had these things run really nasty courses--high fever/laid low for a week and they always start with that mild sore throat). Enough with the parentheticals. I am down but not out. Should I eat or fast?
Old 10-03-2006, 08:35 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
i just got over a self imposed sickness....aka I was run down, getting no sleep, eating like crap and working out....so needless to say my body hated me.

Use the philospohy, you never catch a cold...you just lower your body's immune system to have a germ take over.

I take the quick and painful road...I fasted (and stayed at home), drank nothing but water w/ raw apple cider vinegar, took vit C, probiotics, stayed warm, tried to sweat alot, contrast showers, got fresh air....and I am back to 90% in 2 days....or you can keep eating and going about your daily schedule and keeping feeling sick for a week or two....all up to you. If you have the time to rest, then I go with the fasting (with plenty of water). My first meal back is usually fresh watermellon as it is a diuretic and helps flush more things out.

But that's just me...if you keep digestion simple you maximize the body's ability to detoxify. Could also do a fresh "juice fast"...not as harsh as a water fast which is the quickest way to detox.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:37 AM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
mind the disclaimer that I am not a doctor and like to test anything on myself....the fasting seems to work for me but it will put me out for a day (or two if I am really bad)....but rather do that than keep being sick for weeks.