CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-03-2006, 09:20 PM   #1
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:
ok so ive done some reading on how to remove wax and pesticides, i come up with vinegar and water(1)
diluted detergent(2) "fit" produce washing product(3) now ive tried the vinegar water and wow it really makes the wax visible i mean almost white apples but it didnt remove any? since on the zone we eat so much i think this is important, i searched the board and now there are just too many results that arent specific to the subject.

any home made ideas?
Old 07-04-2006, 03:04 AM   #2
Tony Ferous

Profile:
I posted a similar thread recently to no repsonse!
Cordain noted the issue in one of this newsletters, suggesting we should peel our fruit and veg, which doesnt sound like a great idea. Or eat organic..
Mercola suggested the vinegar thing too i think.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:50 AM   #3
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:
ya maybe nobody knows thats why no response , dont want to peel i know all the good stuff is in the skin of the apple but i also read they are poorus and the skin actually absorbs pesticides?
Old 07-04-2006, 08:43 AM   #4
Mike Neill

Profile:
Kevin, that would depend on the molecular structure of the pesticide in question. Water can penetrate the skin but that doesn't mean that water-soluble pesticides will soak in if the pesticide molecule is too large. I'd be more concerned about pesticides in a matrix of volatile oils. It's a good topic worthy of study.

Ohhh, who am I kidding? If the USDA says the pesticides are safe, then they're safe, right? Our government wouldn't lie or be mistaken about anything, would it? Just eat your gov't-approved food and you'll be fine.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Conspiracy theories aside.... I just wash mine in mild soapy water, then rinse very well. I am of the opinion that organic is a good idea if you can get em.

Brad
Old 07-04-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Go to www.ewg.org to find out which fruit/veg should be bought organic if at all possible.

I use the commercial fruit/veg washes. Between buying organic and the wash, I've never seen or felt any residue.

I fill a sink with water and ~15 sprays of the wash, let the fruit/veg soak ~10 minutes, empty the sink, rinse off the sink and fruit/veg by splashing some clean water around, then I fill the sink with clean water, let them soak a couple more minutes, and finally I air-dry them on a towel.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:20 PM   #7
Jason Steele

Profile:
There was a study done here at Virginia Tech concerning this topic, and the end result is to have two spray bottles, one with undiluted white vinegar, the other with peroxide. Spray them both onto said veg and fruit. I was a little skeptic, but it actually works quite well (and is really inexpensive).
Old 07-04-2006, 07:12 PM   #8
Kevin Kaeating

Profile:
man after soaking apples in vinegar and water i showed my whole family the amount of wax on them , it was literally white and you could see the where it had dried like spray paint, you all should try it, the only way i figured out howto remove it was to take a small pairing knife or jack knife and scrape off the wax, takes about as long as peeling, but peroxide? man i dont know,, you need to reinforce my confidence on that , id like to clean 2 full bags of apples at once if i could though.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:34 PM   #9
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
i showed my whole family the amount of wax on them

one pound of wax covers 160,000 apples. they put like a drop of natural wax on an apple.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:58 AM   #10
Mike Neill

Profile:
Brad: if I wear my aluminum foil hat when I eat, neither the pesticides nor the U.N. water fluoridation affect me.