CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-03-2006, 06:27 AM   #11
Elliot Royce

Profile:
If you're dedicated to losing the pounds and have access/time for it, then some supplemental weight training would be quite helpful. Remember that each pound of muscle is helping you burn off fat 24 hours a day by consuming calories. Fat cells don't consume energy. So you get a multiplier effect, as you build muscle you raise your lean body mass and you burn more fat. So your body fat percentage, which is the key metric, goes down.

Some other people should jump in here. I don't want to be the only one providing advice, since I'm no guru.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:27 PM   #12
Jason Steele

Profile:
travis-

Get some tuna packages, they are easy to pack and aren't messy if you should have to move out quickly. Tabasco does wonders, or some mustard. Grin and bear it, sometimes you just have to look at the result and not so much at the methods. Do the old fashioned hand method for zone, that way you don't have to worry about measuing, etc. Squeeze it, skin it and then eat it (already cooked of course), you won't get much better than that in the d-fac.
Grease the groove while on the radio, do dips or pullups, get some sandbags for the OP. I became quite proficient at pistols when I was sitting at the radio in Afghanistan (haven't done any since coming home though). Do this as a supplement to your WOD
Old 07-05-2006, 12:00 PM   #13
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
The great thing about the human body is its ability to adapt: The less protein you eat, the better your body uses it. But with the protein intake you mentioned I wouldn't be concerned if I was you. I rarely never eat that much protein, but still gains pretty easily.

I had a bulk of overweight too – I lost 30 kilos pretty easily when I switched to paleo and my own crossfit-like program – and one thing I have learned from that proces is that its always better to eat less than you think you need, than being concerned of getting enough.

Good luck
Old 07-07-2006, 05:06 AM   #14
Travis Loest

Profile:
elliot, tried the fitday.com site, one day and it scared the crap out of me, i'm trying to keep the zone diet in mind and stay within the percentages, if not the quatity. http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...travis%5Floest
definitly going to have to alter some more things. figure out what's good and what isn't, i think the fitday site will ultimately be a great tool in helping me reach my goal. it provides you with near instantaneous feedback. i really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

Gorm, most human bodies are great in their ability to adapt. as i get older i find that it is harder and harder to maintain my optimal weight, i think it's a combination of me being a little more sedentary every year, poor eating habits (which i'm working on) and my metabolism just slowing down. people talk about being a little hungry makeing them concentrate better, but for me being a little hungry makes me concentrate on getting food. i've finally admitted to myself that they way i was going about dumping fuel into my body wasn't really a good idea and it needed to change. that's why i'm here. because i obviously don't know how to eat right, and i'm hoping some more educated people can point me in the right direction. i've looked at the paleo diet, i don't think it would work with me being in iraq, to limiting on what i can eat. like i said earlier, i will try and stick to the zone percentages and see how that works.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:28 AM   #15
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Travis:

I looked at your diet and I don't think it's going to work for you. Since, for some reason, you're not getting that much input from some of the experts around here, I'd suggest starting a new post with your diet link and asking for direct advice on that.

My comments would be: way too few calories (this is not a sprint to drop pounds, it's a marathon) and too little protein.

These sort of extreme calorie reduction plans are for bodybuilders who just need to look good at contest time, not deliver functional performance. Your body will actually resist the weight loss and start to reduce your metabolic rate. Fitday has an activity calculator that allows you to figure out your calorie consumption. Take that and start by eating 500 calories below it per day. Make sure you get your protein. Use the Zone to ensure that your hormonal state is optimal.

(Message edited by eroyce on July 07, 2006)
Old 07-07-2006, 07:49 AM   #16
Travis Loest

Profile:
elliot, the diet that was posted was prior to dinner so that may explain why there were so few calories. i think what i may do is keep posting for about a week then start a new post so that someone may be getting a better view of what i'm eating, i'm going to try and adjust as i go and still keep the calories around 1800-2000 per day. i will also look at the activity calculator, it usually takes me a day or two to explore the full uses of a site. i'm not trying to do an extreme calorie reduction. i just don't know exactly how much calories i am getting in per item of "healthy" food. i know how much i get off of a snickers bar, but i'm not eating those anymore. it'll take a bit of adjusting. thanks for your input.
travis
travis