CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-30-2005, 06:35 AM   #1
Jason Billows

Profile:
I have been following the Zone since starting CF almost 4 weeks ago. I work out in the morning and am not sure if I should be eating before or after I workout. Here's my schedule...

6-6:30am Wake up
7:30am Workout
8:45-9am Arrive at work and have breakfast (usually a protein shake, almonds and fruit)

Should I be eating before I get to the gym? After? Both?

Any help would be appreicated.

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2005, 09:27 AM   #2
Seth Orell, Jr.

Profile:
I would not be able to put 100% into the WoD after eating an hour before - I've done it, and I don't like...not one bit.

If you're feeling drained, or you're bonking out on your workout, then perhaps snack on something small, light, and easily digestible when you get up. Protein-shake shot (1-2 oz.), maybe?
Old 08-30-2005, 10:21 AM   #3
Chris Forbis

Profile:
FWIW, I eat my last meal at 5pm, go to bed around 8:30/9:00pm, wake at 5am, workout, then eat breakfast at 7:00am.

I'm doing an overnight fast comibned with the Zone and it has been working very well for me.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:22 AM   #4
Tim Dewey

Profile:
Hi Jason. I could never do a workout, let alon a WOD after eating a meal, even a Zone meal. I work out in the AM as well, and what I do is get up, have coffee, nd do a small pretein shake (protein , meaning protein powder, very little carbs or fat), throw in a few frozen strawberries and mix it up. Then take a few fishoil tabs or a small handful of nuts. I find this doesn't overload me and I'm ready to get with the program. I eat a normal breakfast after the workout.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:30 AM   #5
Jason Billows

Profile:
Thanks guys.

I'm feeling fine during my workouts and not lacking energy, so I definitely don't want to load up on a meal.

Still, I may try a small protein shake beforehand. I expect having the protein in my body will help to kick start the muscle repair when I'm finished my workout.

Thanks!

Old 08-31-2005, 06:09 AM   #6
Daniel Doiron

Profile:
I also workout at 6h30. Here is what I do:

I get up and do everything I have to before sitting down to eat approx 1 cup of cooked oatmeal with a little brown sugar (it can boil while you do other things). I eat it at the very last minute before leaving the house, that way, I have time to start working out before my insuline starts to respond. After my workout I have and almond butter sandwich, cottage cheese or something of that 'zone friendly' kind.

I know it ain't that 'zone like' to eat those oats and stuff alone, but it works very well...as long as you can get the workout started within 20 minutes or so (which I do). If you can't, I suggest grabing something you can eat on the way, in the car.

Old 08-31-2005, 08:34 AM   #7
Becca Borawski

Profile:
I stop eating at least two hours before a workout, otherwise I just wind up with heartburn or feel like I'm going to make friends with Pukie the whole workout.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:52 PM   #8
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
This is me:

0700-Wakeup

0730-Breakfast-either 2 whole, hard-boiled eggs, or an open-faced wholewheat tuna sandwich. Coffee too of course, Venti Americano, black.

1200-Lunch
Tuna salad (1.5 cans), with arugula, lettuce, iceberg, maybe spinach, cherry tomatoes, salt and tons of pepper, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

1900 to 2000-WOD

2030 to 2130 -Dinner
Usually some type of meat, with tons of vegetables like okra, string beans, mushrooms, eggplant etc. (Vegetables are usually cooked in an olive oil enriched tomato sauce).

If I eat close to the WOD I either feel distracted , and definitely can't go as hard or Pukie will knock the door.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:25 PM   #9
Ronnie Ashlock

Profile:
Ah. Another Americano black, fan. I usually have a tall around 3 p.m. every day.

Regarding breakfast: I have maybe a little bit of fruit (a smallish orange like a Clementine or a handful of blueberries) as I'm waking up. Any more than that and I'm asking for trouble in a hour when I do the WOD.

Post WOD, usually within 30 minutes of so, I have a Big Brain Shake as described in "The Omega Zone" and a bowl of slow-cook steel cut oatmeal.

Lunch consists usually of a can of Wild Alaskan Salmon and a couple of pieces of fruit or vegetables. I usually chase it with 2 or 3 spoonfuls of Cashew/Macadamia butter.

Mid-afternoon snack: Lo-carb protein shake (Protizyme or Biopro) and another spoonful or two of Cash/Mac butter. Then I has me some coffee (see the Americano bit above). :-)

Supper: Depends on if I eat with my girlfriend or have something for work. She's Japanese and we tend to have something she likes, but I don't usually go crazy with the rice. I have a little starch but give her the majority of it. If she cooks, it's usually some kind of vegetable mix with a little fish, or crab and Miso soup. Good stuff.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:22 PM   #10
Mikael Všlitalo

Profile:

Most of you guys wake up incredibly early (Chris, 5 AM?? Is it because of your job?)

I'm on holidays now and usually wake up around noon. Makes the whole breakfast/workout/lunch triplet a bit harder to plan. I'm just too lazy and won't go to bed any earlier though, so I end up having lunch around 3, sometimes even 4 PM! Waiting at least 90mns after breakfast is a must for my workout.