CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-26-2005, 03:22 PM   #1
Todd Learn

Profile:
I have been dealing with some injuries and can not take antiinflammatories like ibubrofin and such due to a digestive disorder. Anyhow I did some research on alternatives and found this on the net. I can not find the web page again but I saved the info and it is pasted below if anyone is interested.

The simplest and most biochemically sound way of turning down the body's proinflammatory prostaglandins and cytokines is by restoring a balance between pro- and antiinflammatory foods. From a dietary standpoint, this means switching from vegetable oils to extra-virgin olive oil (high in antiinflammatory omega-9 fatty acids). It also means avoiding most processed (boxed, canned, or frozen) foods, because their makers frequently add omega-6 fatty acids. By eating simple unprocessed foods-such as baked chicken, a salad, and steamed vegetables-it becomes easier to consume a more balanced ratio of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids.
However, if you're like most people, you've been eating a diet high in omega-6 fatty acids and low in antioxidants for years. Simply restoring a balance is not enough to quickly offset accumulated damage, because the fatty acid composition of the body's cells reflects their dietary ratios. It's imperative to increase consumption of antiinflammatory fatty acids and antioxidants.
These are the supplements to emphasize:
• Omega-3 essential fatty acids. Found in fish oils, EPA and DHA are essential building blocks for the body's antiinflammatory prostaglandins (e.g., prostaglandin E1) and for turning off Cox-2 and the body's proinflammatory cytokines (IL-1, IL-6, and TNFa). In addition, omega-3 fatty acids block the activity of an enzyme that breaks down joint cartilage. Daily dosage: 3 or more grams.
• Gamma-linolenic acid. Although GLA is an omega-6 fatty acid, it has antiinflammatory properties. Relatively little GLA is converted to arachidonic acid and prostaglandin E2. Instead, GLA increases production of the antiinflammatory prostaglandin E1. Robert B. Zurier, M.D., of the University of Massachusetts Medical Center, Worcester, gave GLA supplements or placebos to 41 patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Two-thirds of those receiving GLA had a 25 percent reduction in their arthritic symptoms. Daily dosage: 2-3 grams.
• Vitamin E. Although Cox-2 and prostaglandin E2 levels rise with age, animal studies have shown that vitamin E supplements reverse the increase in Cox-2 and prostaglandin E2. Vitamin E also turns off nuclear factor-kB (NF-kB) and activator protein-1 (AP-1), compounds that turn on inflammatory genes. One recent study found that arthritics taking supplements of natural vitamin E (600 mg twice daily) for 12 weeks had their pain reduced by about half. Daily dosage: 400-800 IU.
• Vitamin C. Long recognized for its antiinflammatory properties, the effects of vitamin C are enhanced by other nutrients. In a study of people exposed to simulated sunlight, researchers found that vitamin C and E worked synergistically to reduce skin inflammation. In a cell study, Italian researchers noted that quercetin and vitamin C worked together to protect cells from inflammation-induced damage. Daily dosage: 1,000-2,000 mg.
• Polyphenols and Flavonoids. Researchers at Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, recently reported that the antioxidant polyphenols in green tea had antiinflammatory properties by inhibiting Cox-2 and TNFa. Genistein inhibits prostaglandin E2 and Cox-2, and quercetin inhibits the activity of inflammation-promoting "adhesion" molecules. It's likely that Pycnogenol, grape seed extract, and other flavonoids work through similar mechanisms. Daily dosage: 25-500 mg.
• St. John's wort. Better known for its antidepressant effect, this herb also has antiinflammatory properties. In a laboratory experiment, researchers from the University of Frieburg, Germany found that hypericin, one of the constituents of St. John's wort, inhibited NF-kB, which activates proinflammatory genes. Daily dosage: Because product forms vary, follow label directions.
• Silymarin. A cell-culture study found that silymarin, the antioxidant extract of milk thistle, inhibited Cox-2 formation. This role of silymarin may partly explain why earlier cell-culture studies found it to inhibit the growth of prostate, breast, and skin cancers. Daily dosage: 100-200 mg.
• Ginger. With a long history as a folk medicine, ginger inhibits Cox-2 and another proinflammatory compound, 5-lipoxygenase. This simple herb and condiment contains almost 500 different compounds, many of which are antiinflammatory, according to Thomas M. Newmark and Paul Shulick, authors of Beyond Aspirin: Nature's Answer to Arthritis, Cancer & Alzheimer's Disease (Holm Press, Prescott, Arizona, 2000). Daily dosage: 100 mg.
• Rosemary. This common kitchen herb is rich in ursolic acid and many of its derivatives. In laboratory experiments, Swedish researchers found that the ursolic acid extract of rosemary was a potent inhibitor of Cox-2 activity. Daily dosage: 100 mg.
• Curcumin. A natural pigment that accounts for the yellow color of the spice turmeric, curcumin is also a powerful antioxidant. A recent cell study by researchers at Cornell University, New York, found that curcumin blocked the activity of Cox-2. The researchers suggested that this property might explain some of the herb's anticancer effects. Daily dosage: 2.8 mg.
• Cat's Claw. Known as una de gato and Uncaria tomentosa, this Peruvian herb has a long history as a remedy for inflammatory arthritis. Recent cell-culture and animal experiments at the Albany Medical College, New York, found that cat's claw inhibited inflammation by blocking the activity of NF-kB. Daily dosage: Because products vary, follow label directions.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:57 PM   #2
Jason Simpkins

Profile:

Nice post, thanks for the info!
Old 08-27-2005, 09:02 AM   #3
Thomas Kryston

Profile:

Hey Todd,

Great post. In my own experience, I've had great success with red cherries and cherry juice. Plus the ginger and Vitamin C that you mentioned.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:28 AM   #4
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Where was that nice link that listed all the natural power the "best" food packs? (It was written in a descriptive rather than table format)...

Old 08-28-2005, 02:26 PM   #5
Vincent Falcetta

Profile:  
Awesome info, thats really going to help at the hospital with people complaining of motrin tearing up their stomachs. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-28-2005, 08:12 PM   #6
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Topical(Rubbed on skin at the inflamed/affected area) Arnica Arnica montana
Is a really good anti-inflammatory, particully for Bruising & Sprains, strains.
I like it because it works on th site of injury, not everywhere else.
Last year it was all i could use becasue other medication i was taking reacted baddly with Voltaran an anything else made from asprin.I can take anitiflamitories again now but i still use the arnica.

It clears up any bruising really quickly (two days after a Kyokishin Full Contact Comp, with no shin pads and my shins are almost back to normal colour as opossed to black/blue) while reduceing swelling, (and the lumps that i had saturday night are gone).
I have used it on bursitus in knees,torn ligaments and impact injuries.
Its a bit messy as u usually get it in parafin wax, but the best way i have found to use it is apply to affected area before bed then wrap it in plastic "cling wrap". Over night the arnica dose its thing and the cling wrap intensifies the effect and stops it rubing off.
If you have a large area to cover you may look a bit weired, i have been walking round for the last two nights with both shins and a knee wraped. But it means i will be able to run/and kick again by tomorrow, rather than waiting for a week or so for my shins to heal.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:50 AM   #7
David Birozy

Profile:
Fiona - must be sight to see!

I might have to try that tonight. I grind my teeth at night. Perhaps I'll use it on my jaw and wrap my head in plastic wrap! Ha.

As a side note - you are really hard core!! Injuries be damned!
Old 08-29-2005, 12:37 PM   #8
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Lol. A bit like a modern day Mummy.
Nah....bruises are cool except when they hurt and stop you doing stuff. Three days on an the shins are almost clear even managed to train BJJ last night and work butterfly guard. Forearms however i did not treat and they are still nice and spotty and tender
Old 08-29-2005, 03:54 PM   #9
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Now I feel like a whimp... if I'm beat up, I tend to stay home and have a beer!

Just a quick warking about eating/drinking arnica, and this does not necessarily apply to topical arnica (I just don't know much about that).

Arnica has a few components that are potentially poisonous/cardiotoxic. I forget the names (I don't have my books at home), but they are long and probably latin. Regardless, avoid oral use of arnica, and some recommend to avoid topical use on broken skin or open wounds. I would add that you might want to avoid blending arnica extracts with solvents like DMSO.

If you have high blood pressure, cardiac arrythmias, and/or are taking medication that is known to affect cardiac QT intervals, you should talk to you doctor before using arnica in the manner described above, as is can potentiate toxicity.

Brad
Old 08-30-2005, 03:52 AM   #10
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
The arnica i use is dry flower extract in ointment form.Over the counter chemist stuff. The label on my jar says " Not to be taken oraly. Do not use on broken skin.Seek professional advice before use on infants infants."
It comes premixed in the wax.

Didn't know about the cardiac thing, chemist didn't tell me about that , Thanks for the heads up.

Just relised this tread in nutrition, no wonder people are worried about it being eatten.
DO NOT EAT ARNICA.

Fiona