CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-25-2005, 10:06 AM   #11
Tim Weaver

Profile:
I love women with curves....but enough about me. :-)

As Linc said, it's about disease management, not health care.

Sam Steiger was an Arizona politician and curmudgeon. A friend of mine, who knew Sam, indicated that Steiger had this to say, paraphrased:

"There comes a time in every organization's lifecycle where the survival of the organization becomes more important than the goals for which the organization has created."

Every large organization gets to the point where they exist to...exist. Their original mission is secondary.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:52 AM   #12
Joe Murphy

Profile:
I had an orthopedic surgeon tell me he could do an MRI on my knee, or I could "get off the couch and put down the ring dings" and see how that worked. I thought it was great medical advice.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:59 AM   #13
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Tim, great quote...it's been cut and pasted.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:06 AM   #14
Bobbi Beglau Salvini

Profile:
There was a lady that visited her doctor and he advised her she was fat and needed to drop some weight. She said she wanted a second opinion, so he told her, you're ugly too!

We Americans can learn something from Mexico. My sister just got back from volunteering at a medical clinic in Mexico where she was refining her Spanish skills. One major difference between the countries she noticed is the medical doctors are paternal. They yelled at people, and shook their fingers at them and threatened to stop seeing them if they did not follow the Doctor's advice. Oh, excuse me, doctors "orders". With the state of health of our country and the costs to the public at large, I think honest and demonstrative medical professionals is the pill we need.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:12 PM   #15
Kalen Meine

Profile:
A doctor's job is to assist in your healing, and if the best medicine for your condition is getting you off the couch and the ring dings, then that's there job, and they can use whatever strength "medicine" does the trick. Good to see there are people out there like that.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:40 PM   #16
Beth Moscov

Profile:
what is a "ring ding"?
Old 08-27-2005, 10:55 PM   #17
Bryant Powers

Profile:
Ring Dings could be part of a balanced healthy diet. At least Maxim says so. http://www.maximonline.com/grit/arti...ticle_406.html
Old 08-28-2005, 02:01 PM   #18
Skip Chase

Profile:
Dec. 2003, a federal panel, US Preventive Task Force, urged doctors to treat obesity more aggresively to help stem the obesity epidemic in the US. The task force said,"standard overweight and obesty treatment should go far beyond casual advice to shed a few pounds.". They also found that only 12% of physicians were willing to discuss the issue, due to a lack of knowledge. Medical doc's only have 1 -2 quarters of nutrition (if that!) during their education, and many are overweight, themselves, and are unable to 'set the example', nor have the experience to give proper advice.
Here we have a doctor who goes beyond casual advice and the story hits the media and he receives criticism. Unfortunately, this will probably result in even fewer doc's making the proper recommendations.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:41 AM   #19
Joe Murphy

Profile:
what is a "ring ding"?

good lord. only nature's perfect food.

lol @ the maxim article
Old 08-31-2005, 09:24 PM   #20
Chris Wyant

Profile:
Having been over weight at one point in time (13 years old, 5'5, 255lbs - long story) I know what it's like to be in a rut. However, when I got my back brace off and the doctor said "Lose 100lbs within 2 years or you will suffer for the rest of your life from the after effects" it had an impact. The words still easy to remember to this day - the doctor point blank said if I didnt lose the weight I could get 1. Diabetes 2. Back problems 3. Hip problems 4. etc. - I am glad he did it. Having been a tennis player before the accident with my back I knew I had to get to work instead of being depressed that I was overweight. Did Crew and in a healthy manner lost 100lbs in a year and barely changed my diet at all (2% milk to skim milk and lean meat to extra lean meat). It just goes to show that (I am saying this because I think it is true from my experience - not true for everyone but some) that as overwieght people look at themselves - they expect to be treated better then others simply because they are overweight. It is in this sense where this women who feels that because she is obese - she needs to be treated kinder. When will this country realize that it is obese and to stop being stupid?