CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-27-2005, 05:17 AM   #1
Allan Bulkley

Profile:  
Hi everyone, this is my first post, though I've been reading these forums regularly for a while now.

Has anyone read about this diet? I recently read the book by Jon Benson and to me, the concepts appear to be pretty sound.

The plan basically advocates alternating days of calorie restriction and "normal" eating. On the restricted days you keep your calories quite low (dont remember exactly how low, but it was pretty strict) and weight train, and supposedly there is some significant metabolic advantage to training on the restricted days vs. the non-restricted days, though the book never explains that in detail. On the non-restricted days you still follow the mostly paleo diet suggestions, but can eat as much as you feel like within reason, and are allowed one "cheat meal".

According to the author, the advantages of this diet are:

1) on this diet you will take in significantly fewer calories over time than you need to maintain your current weight
2) you are less likely to experience the metabolic slowdown that usually accompanies calorie-restricted diets

3) you dont feel deprived on this diet, since every other day you are eating pretty much whatever you want

I haven't tried it yet, but for someone like me who is concerned about fat loss but has problems with discipline, it sounds like this might work and might be a good way to sort of "ease into" a stricter paleo lifestyle.

What do you all think?
Old 06-27-2005, 01:18 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Allan-

Check the "Fasting" thread and www.arthurdevany.com

Robb
Old 06-27-2005, 06:02 PM   #3
Allan Bulkley

Profile:  
I'll do that. Thanks.