CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Renegade Diet

I wanted to start a separate thread instead of using the same CBL thread to discuss the Renegade Diet. First off, it is very similar to CBL, but with a few tweaks. I find it easier to follow and I feel that it is a little better for CrossFitters since most of use train a lot of days straight and we sometimes do strength and MetCons on the same day. I will be following the Renegade Diet for a few weeks to see how it compares to CBL.

Here is an idea what it is like:
First off, your first priority is to get under 15% BF. So you should limit your carbs to an average of 100 gr of carbs per day until you get below 15% BF. Once you do that, here are the recommended numbers.

12-STEP QUICK START GUIDE:
1. Skip Breakfast.
2. Drink water and coffee during the early morning.
3. Fast for 14-16 hours from your last meal.
4. Eat 20-35 gr of Protein, 1-15 gr of Fats, and veggies for your next 4 hours after your Fast. No fruits or starchy carbs.
5. You can have 1-3 meals during this four hour under eating phase (12-4 pm).
6. If you train in the afternoon (after 4pm), immediately start eating higher calories and carbs afterwards for the next 4 hours. If you train in the morning, have protein and 25-40 gr of carbs (bananas or sweet potatoes).
7. You can have 1-3 meals during the overeating phase (4-8 pm).
8. Stop eating 2-3 hours before bedtime.
9. Set protein at 1 gr per pound of desired bodyweight.
10. For fat loss, set calories at 12x bodyweight and carbs at .3-1 gr per pound of bodyweight.
11. For muscle gain, set calories at 16x bodyweight and carbs at 1-4 gr per pound of bodyweight.
12. Fill the rest of your daily caloric allotment with healthy fats, but don't go overboard.

CALORIES PER DAY:
Fat Loss:
Bodyweight x 12 = Average Calories Per Day
Muscle Gain:
Bodyweight x 16 = Average Calories Per Day
NOTE: Calories per day is an average over the 7 days. On the days that you eat more carbs, you obviously will have more calories than on the lighter days. So if your Average Calorie per day is 2000 calories, you may have 1700 calories on non training days and about 2500 calories on training days.

PROTEIN PER DAY:
1 gr of protein per pound of ideal bodyweight. Than means if you weigh 230# and want to weigh 200#, then you should have 200 gr of Protein per day.
NOTE: No more than 10-15# above your current bodyweight for muscle gain and no less than 30# below your current bodyweight for fat loss.

CARBS PER DAY:
Fat Loss:
10% BF or Below: .5 gr of carbs per bodyweight on off days and 1 gr of per bodyweight carbs on training days.
11-25% BF: .25-.3 gr of carbs per bodyweight on off days and .5-.6 gr of carbs per bodyweight on training days.

Muscle Gain:
10% BF or Below: 1-1.25 gr of carbs per bodyweight on off days and 2-3 gr of carbs per bodyweight on training days.
11-25% BF: .8-1 gr of carbs per bodyweight on off days and 1.25-1.5 gr of carbs per bodyweight on training days.

FATS PER DAY:
Add up your Protein and Carbs you are having per day and multiply by 4. Subtract that number from your Average Daily Calories and divide that by 9.

The difference between CBL and the Renegade Diet is that you carb load in the evening after your workout. You don't carb backload the night before as with CBL.

Here is an example using my schedule: I'm currently in the muscle building phase so my average calories are 2640 and my 165 gr of carbs on light or rest days and 247 gr of carbs on training days.

Monday: ME Upper. 247 gr of carbs.
Tuesday: DE Lower. 247 gr of carbs.
Wednesday: MetCon. 165 gr of carbs.
Thursday: DE Upper. 247 gr of carbs.
Friday: ME Lower. 247 gr of carbs.
Saturday: MetCon. 165 gr of carbs.
Sunday: Rest. 165 gr of carbs.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: Renegade Diet

16 seems like too low a multipler for muscle gain, you would probably be gaining .5lb/week at most. Your activity seems pretty high so I wouldn't be surprised if you don't gain at all. That being said, I'm always interested in seeing how these threads turn out. I would never try something like this, but seeing people tinker and tweak their diets is cool.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
Larry Bruce

Profile:

I'm sure doing these things has some effect, but 95% is going to be just training and eating well. If you really score 95% on those already, the extra 5% may be worth the trouble to get.

Personally I know I have a long way to go before I need to eat any other way than God intended, 3 square with 2 snacks and good pre/post WO nutrition.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
16 seems like too low a multipler for muscle gain, you would probably be gaining .5lb/week at most. Your activity seems pretty high so I wouldn't be surprised if you don't gain at all. That being said, I'm always interested in seeing how these threads turn out. I would never try something like this, but seeing people tinker and tweak their diets is cool.
I'm not looking to gain too much because I have to be under 165 by August 10, so if I only gain .5 per week is good for me.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:39 AM   #5
jeramy park

Profile:

What are your goals and macros?
Old 05-02-2013, 05:47 AM   #6
Michael Dries

Profile:

I'm still confused on the naming of the two diets.

I feel like backloading (load after the fact) is what the renegade diet (and lean gains) is about.

Carb back loading seems like it should be called carb "Front loading" because you're taking in carbs in anticipation of the next training bout.

In any case, I just read Jason's ebook as well. Renegade seems like lean gains with macro recommendations.

Going to give the "mass gain" option a try on my next wendler cycle (doing the boring but big challenger, lots of volume compared to SS). I'm currently just doing 2200-2700 calories (Depending on activity and hunger) with 200g of protein and 200-300g of carb. Around 50-70g of fat.

I spread that throughout the day in 3-4 meals, including post workout.

I feel great and have a lot of energy when I do a lower carb (75g) diet on rest days but feel like absolute garbage if I run that too long. I also find that I can get away with fewer calories overall if I up the carbs.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeramy park View Post
What are your goals and macros?
My goals are to get as strong as hell for my next meet in August. I'm in the 165# class and I'm currently 165, so I can get away with putting on a few lbs. I e steered everything last night on MyFitnessPal and I had 216 protein, 96 fats, and 188 carbs (2491 calories). 35/35/30 ratio.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
Joseph Regan

Profile:

Paulo,

Are there any other guidelines he spells out? Also what are his recommendations for carbs and fruits?

Sounds like a bunch of the bodybuilding gurus i have studied and worked with. Carbs are used for fuel around your workouts and that about it. Also most of those guys dont count veggies as carbs. They consider veggies to be fiber and the amount of carbs in most green veggies are not huge by any means. They count carbs as sweet potatoes, oats, rice etc.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
Joseph Regan

Profile:

You also state that in order to calculate protein you use your DESIRED BODY WEIGHT. How about for carbs is that current body weight or desired bw?

also on #4 is that 20-35g or protein and 1-15grams of fats total for that 4 hours or is that with each meal since you can have 1-4 meals in that time frame?
Old 05-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

I'm not completely sure I want to try this, given the thought of fasting for that long and having to breakdown my meals so much into specifics. BUT, if I were to try it I'm curious about something. I do cardio first thing in the morning 4-5 days a week then lift M/W/F after work. Would I still do the protein/banana after the morning workout?