CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 04-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
Bryan Castro

Profile:
Muay Thai training

Any amateur/pro muay thai fighters out there using Crossfit within their training regimens? How are you utilizing it - e.g. what type of program are you following?

I'm doing CFFB right now to get stronger but plan on training for a fight after some desired strength increases and wanted to know where to go from there or at least get some ideas how some others are doing so.

Thanks,
Bryan
Old 04-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Pearse Shields

Profile:
Re: Muay Thai training

I fight under amateur rules, but don't do CrossFit as my strength and conditioning work. I use sprints, some LISS, and one or two conditioning workouts each week in addition to two strength workouts though. I'm currently just under 4 weeks out from my 4th amateur fight (7th overall).

I'm a big fan of both Ross Enamait and Joel Jamieson, both guys have produced some fantastic material with regards to conditioning for combat sports. Well worth stopping by www.rosstraining.com and www.8weeksout.com (both links WFS) to have a look.

My basic recommendation is to emphasize longer-duration work further out from a fight, and increase the intensity/decrease the duration of workouts as you move closer to the event. A well-developed aerobic base helps support anaerobic work. You don't need to be running every day, but a long run here and there can help, for sure.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
Bryan Castro

Profile:

I love Ross Enamait's stuff as well.

I've had 1 sanctioned amateur fight, which I lost, but it was very instructional in pointing out my many weaknesses.

Following a lot of the stuff you mentioned, but finding CFFB useful right now to build a foundation. Fitting that in with some running and swimming before I get more focused on Muay Thai-specific training.

Good luck in your fight...let me know how it goes!

Best regards,
Bryan
Old 05-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
Bryan Castro

Profile:

What's LISS?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Castro View Post
What's LISS?
Low-intensity, steady-state. So, keeping your HR at 65-75% for 30 minutes or more. Helps with improved cardiac output while also being able to be used as active recovery.