CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 03-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #21
Andrew Joseph

Profile:
Re: NCAA Div 1 Wrestling Finals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
If I were allowed, I would have worn a greco/fresstyle singlet to school.
LOL, even if you were valedictorian and homecoming king everyone would remember you as "that wrestling guy".
Old 03-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #22
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Joseph View Post

But I think wrestling would be more popular at the junior high and high school level if they gave up the singlet and allowed sub grappling clothing--i.e. rash guards and board shorts. They just look cooler and since they are "normal" clothes (and high school kids are high school kids) you even offer wrestlers the opportunity to show off by wearing their "uniform" at the gym or playground, like they can with baseball caps, basketball shorts, hockey jerseys, etc.
I would hate that. Singlets are much better. Hell, most of the time I wore a singlet in practice with a t-shirt. If it wasn't that it was almost always just compression shorts and a shirt.

They tried going to two piece singlets a while ago but it never caught on. I think too many people like the traditional singlets, its part of the sport and I hope it never changes.

Back on topic though! Lots of upsets in the first round!!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #23
Jose Sanchez

Profile:

Missed today's action. Hope to catch some while at work tomorrow. I was at the NAIA nationals earlier this month. Saw some good wrestling there.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #24
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

There are definitely some tough individuals in NAIA.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:30 AM   #25
Andrew Joseph

Profile:

As I said earlier, I feel guilty but I don't follow the sport during the season and I can only catch the replays of the events since I work during the day. I'm definitely going to watch the finals tonight.

It's cheating to make picks at this point, but that's all I got for you, lol. Anyway from what little exposure I've had, here's who I'll take in the finals:

125: Delgado
133: Steiber
141: Maple
149: Oliver
157: St. John
165: Dake
174: Perry
184: Ruth
197: Wright
285: Nelson
Old 03-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #26
Stuart Carraway

Profile:

What is your thoughts on the challenges for the coaches? You like or not?
Old 03-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #27
Andrew Joseph

Profile:

The more I think about it, the more amazing Dake seems. Not just the incredible achievment of four national titles in four weight classes, but he did it in about the hardest way possible. Can you pick four more competitive weight classes than 141, 149, 157 and 165? And his last run, presumably against guys that are naturally much bigger than him, is against the toughest guy possible--last year's most outstanding wrestler, a returning national champion and a guy who was absolutely running through people in this year's tournament.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #28
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Carraway View Post
What is your thoughts on the challenges for the coaches? You like or not?
I like it, I've seen some bad calls made....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Joseph View Post
The more I think about it, the more amazing Dake seems. Not just the incredible achievment of four national titles in four weight classes, but he did it in about the hardest way possible. Can you pick four more competitive weight classes than 141, 149, 157 and 165? And his last run, presumably against guys that are naturally much bigger than him, is against the toughest guy possible--last year's most outstanding wrestler, a returning national champion and a guy who was absolutely running through people in this year's tournament.
To be honest, and not taking anything away from Dake, I never thought he was in a very competitive weight class until this year, and neither has Taylor. I also don't think Dake is very small, he looked a little bigger than Taylor actually to me actually. Still, he made history and it is definitely amazing.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #29
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

The first match OSU vs Penn St. was awesome. Oliver's shrug in the 3rd period was slick as well. Good wraslin.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #30
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Swartz View Post
The first match OSU vs Penn St. was awesome. Oliver's shrug in the 3rd period was slick as well. Good wraslin.
Missed 149 and 157... I was drinking...don't remember what I was doing haha. Oliver is an animal, I'm happy that he won it.

But...I don't think Derek St. John should have been in the finals.