CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-27-2013, 05:37 AM   #1
Don Beam

Profile:
Not seeing change.....

Hello all,

Long time forum lurker and eventually decided to register.

Some background information about me:

I have been involved with crossfit for almost a year now; in which I switched over from the traditional "body-building" routines.

At the time of my switch, I was 250lbs, 9% BF, and my height is 6'6.

I want you to keep in mind that my eating habits are very clean. For example, my food intake yesterday (rest-day) looked something like so:

Also note that none of my food is frozen or pre-packaged, minus the cereal. My girlfriend and I cook everything from scratch.

Breakfast 6:20am:
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup of organic honey nut cheerios
1 cup skim milk
2 handfuls of almonds
2 glasses of water

Meal 3 11 am:
1 roasted chicken breast (with olive oil)
1 1/2 cup spinach
8 strawberries
1 handful almonds
24 oz water

Meal 4 1pm:
1 full size banana
2 handfuls almonds
16 oz water

Meal 5 3pm:
Identical to meal 2

Meal 6 6pm:
1 1/2 diced chicken breast (olive oil)
2 cups of whole wheat penne pasta
2 servings green beans
24 oz water

Snack 8:25pm
2 tbsp peanut butter
1 scoop protein shake

I still consider myself fairly new to "paleo" eating and all that jazz, but the owner of the box immediately put me on a 0 carb diet after I learned the basics and picked up on the functional movement. After 3 weeks of 0 carbs, I already dropped 13 lbs. I still keep my eating habits with minimal carbs; I train extremely hard and yet I feel like my abdominal section isnt where I want it to me. To clarify, I have a little "pouch" that should be defined abs; yet it refuses to go away.

I start to consider other variables that may contribute to this:

My job. I am the director of treatment in a facility for at-risk youth, aka, I sit at my desk, a lot. I am very conscious about this and try to get up and walk around my facility whenever I can. Also, I am an avid video game player; obviously that means sitting down, a lot.

On a final note, yes, I stopped using creatine and other unnecessary supplements when I switch to Crossfit.

Suggestions? Comments? Ideas?

Anything is apprecaited!

-Don
Old 09-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Re: Not seeing change.....

Couple of considerations. If you are about 9% body fat you should be able to see abs. How was your fat assessed and was the tester competent (read: experienced at BF testing)? You probably lost 13lbs of water at your weight and duration of diet. Hard abs may be quite a bit to expect to rock year round. Not that it isn't possible. It is just hard! Even most body builders don't stay at 5% for long. 10% is pretty good.

Nothing wrong with a clean bodybuilder diet it that works for your better than a no carb diet does. This is shortly going to become a carb / no carb debate so I won 't comment further on that.

Creatine isn't un-necessary. It helps with weight training and sprint type output. Your trainer sounds like they are full of pseudo-science and not enough facts regarding performance. I personally would kick someone like that to the curb and find a new one.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
Don Beam

Profile:

Thanks for the quick reply, I do have abs, clearly visible. The "pouch" I describe is between my navel and waistline. The bf% was done by the clamp in my doctors office during a yearly physical.

The owner of my gym is a national competitor in Crossfit and has 2 top ten regional finishes. He put me on the 0 carb diet to drop weight, in which I knew was going to happen, and agreed upon.

I feel like my endurance and stamina should be improving at a higher rate, but some days it just doesnt feel like it is. Also, my weight is now at 227lbs.

Dont get me wrong, my PRs for all lifts continue to rise (except snatch )

Maybe I am just being too self-critical??

Last edited by Don Beam : 09-27-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Possibly.

Sounds like decent comp to me and that it was measured correctly. The area you describe is the last place for fat to go on many men. Consider that your body may just store more on the belly just like many women gather more by the arms and legs (harder to lose quickly).

If performance is the goal I would add carbs back if your didn't get the drop in fat you were looking for. If you want to test the waters continue your current diet longer. Your endurance and stamina are likely linked to lack of carbs. You pretty much need to pick which is important to you, performance or looks. 9% is pretty darn good in my book but might not be for you. Self assess and then decide.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #5
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Beam View Post
Maybe I am just being too self-critical??
Posta a pic
Old 09-27-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
Don Beam

Profile:

I couldnt agree with you more.

I have been revamping a "zone" diet for myself and will implement it throughout the winter. The biggest problem I face is that people still have this mental picture of me being in the "BB" world of exercise; constantly striving to have "physical perfection."

I have abandoned most of that mentality, but as you can see, it still continues to haunt me. I figured by 6 months of doing crossfit 6x per week I would be insanely shredded, yet I, key point being "I" feel as if I just lost weight and definition.

But, as I stated, I will be returning to the wonderful world of carbs
As I continue to get older, I should only care about performance and not visual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Posta a pic
I am at my office and do not have any pictures on my work computer; at some point over the weekend, I certainly will.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Find an athlete that looks the way you want to and train like them

A dedicated strength program with some conditioning that involves heavy hard work will probably get you to where you want to be. Smoked by metcon isn't really the ticket to shredded-ness. Probably one of CF's more jacked guys, Froning, does a good deal of strength work and weightlifting. Rob Orlando is huge and jacked and had a strongman background. Things to think about.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
Don Beam

Profile:

Yes, I have read extensive ideas/theories on how to train for one "ideal" body; everything is split 50/50.

As many of my BB friends frequently suggest: "Just start using juice or prohormones." (And yes, I have done a few cycles of juice in my past. The gains were insane, but the long-term effects were not worth the risk)

I am what one would describe as a ectomorph; tall, lanky, and long limbs. I was taking in 4,500-5000 calories a day when I was training BB style. Since my journey in to crossfit, I have knocked that down to maybe 2,700-3,000 calories daily.

I cant believe I never mentioned the fact that I've played ice hockey all through college, took a break during grad school, and got back into playing after I finished grad school. I play goalie, so my idea now is to put myself in the best shape I can possible be, not how large muscles can be.

Ugh, I could go on about this topic all day.....
Old 09-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #9
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Be patient. Sounds like you know how to train.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
Don Beam

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Be patient. Sounds like you know how to train.
Thank you; hoping I can start to see my ideal changes soon.