CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-15-2004, 11:56 AM   #1
Roy

Profile:

This is one of the best reads.

http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/ar...&articleid=186

One suggestion that caught my eye in this was to eat only one carb meal a day, preferably at night. This article does advocate cycling (one carb day every 3 or 4 days) which is what I do. Any opinions on this article(particularly from the biochemists, such as Rob W.)?

Cheers

Roy
Old 01-17-2004, 02:26 AM   #2
Paul Kayley

Profile:
Thanks Roy. Interesting read, but it would be good to know how much truth there is in the biochemical claims regarding the importance of dietary derived glucose.

Does this theory sound feasible to you Rob?
Old 01-17-2004, 03:09 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
All of the biochemistry is sound EXCEPT the suggestion to limit carb meals to once/day. That suggestion is necessary to stay with the general theme of his book.

This is not to say that this approach is not effective. I ate similar to this for quite some time and it worked well and I enjoyed the simplicity. I have however had better results with the athlets zone ( abouty 50% of the recomended carbs for me). Tinker with it and see how you feel/perform.
Robb
Old 01-17-2004, 04:10 PM   #4
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Roy, although not a biochemist myself, let me tell you what the "turn-off" for me is in the article. It is one of fundamental beliefs and mentality.

I too am part of the camp that believe that nutrition and exercise are still two areas which can't be completely quantified and scientifically disected so as to produce absolutes and certainties. Let me explain.

A. Hunter-Gatherer societies weren't plagued by our "modern" diseases.
B. Hunter-gatherers didn't have a some "modern" food groups available.
C. Those "modern" food groups usually contain high glycemic indexes.
D. High glycemic indexes are the source for "modern" diseases.

Therefore, we deductively produce an absolute conclusion (D).

Does that mean that C can be quantifiably variable? Therefore, the more frequent we eat high GI and the higher GI we eat, the more chances of developing "modern" diseases?

And therefore deduce that it doesn't matter when our food group was discovered , we just need to make sure it contains a low-GI?

You see where I'm getting at...

All this cannot be proven, so logic and experience sais we choose we the first conclusion that sprang to mind when trying to solve the problem, the more general one. We use that as a guide and customize. Science should use it as a guide and experiment.

The problem with "The Number Crunchers" is that they simply feel unconfortable believing and following something that has no mathematical application, and thus drill-down and produce "rules" arbitrarily.

It is an Art, very slowly being transformed into science.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:05 AM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:
What are you referring to as "modern" deseases. There are other contributing factors that need to be considered. Static lifestyles, close living quarters with animals, high population density allowing for epedemic disease spread. I don't doubt that GI is a contributing factor, but all things must be considered.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:52 AM   #6
Mike Yukish

Profile:
A bit off of the main topic, but the book "Guns, Germs & Steel" offers up a great hypothesis about how and why civilizations formed, with farming and the availability of suitable energy sources (read: bad carbs) playing a key role. In short, I wonder if we could support the planet's population on a paleo diet. Doubtful.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:46 PM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Mike-

We can not support our current population on a paleo diet. At the same time a grain/carb based diet raises our fertility such that our population continues to increase beyond the carrying capacity of ANY dietary regime.

The solution seems obvious but has some very unsavory consequences but that decision will either be met consciously by us as a species or it will be dictated to us...nature it nature.
Robb
Old 01-20-2004, 03:18 PM   #8
Roger Harrell

Profile:
GGS (guns germs and steel) is a phenominal book. Definately worth the read.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:45 AM   #9
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Mike-What Robb said.

The argument concerning diets supportive of humanities population explosion is whether or not we shot ourselves in the foot by thinking we can "compartmentalise nature", "compress it", and thus make it more economical for our societies.

In other words, do the shortcuts humanity takes everytime it makes rapid advances catch up with it eventually? Are doomed to destroy natureīs equilibrium more and more as our intellect advances?

Robb, what is that solution you are reffering to? Short of starving half the worldīs population in order to bring it to "paleo manageable" levels I canīt for the life of me think of something that would bring healthy diets to every last man on the planet...

Cheers,

Alex
Old 01-21-2004, 02:06 AM   #10
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
"Whole complex carb food releases glucose at a slower rate than simple carb food and therefore may afford better glucose utilization with a decreased risk of insulin and blood sugar fluctuation."

Really?

"Minimize simple carb consumption. Prioritize your dietary carb intake. Always choose complex carbs with low a glycemic index and those that are naturally high in fiber. The best choices for carb food are legumes, roots, squashes, barley, oats, wild rice and quinoa. "

So why are complex carbs better?