CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-24-2003, 10:47 AM   #11
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Roy-

The research I am thinking of does fasting evry other day. the key to this working is eating as much calories on your "eat" day as you would have for both days. I have been tinkering with every third day with some interesting results.

The Zone (even te athletes version) appears to be hypo-caloric compared to activity level. I think this buys a little of the effects of caloric restriction. the every third day intermitent fasting I am gambling does the rest.

JD-

I think Ori's books have some great information. I do not however like the way he implements his ideas. keep us posted!
Robb
Old 12-24-2003, 10:53 AM   #12
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Rob,

You do not like how Ori presents his ideas. Would you extrapolate on this? Also, would you suggest an extended fast (such as every 3rd day) instead of a whole cycle in 24 hours (If so, why)? I'm curious. Havent asked a question in a while; figured I was due :-)

-Jay
Old 12-24-2003, 11:02 AM   #13
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Jay-

In detail it makes sense to me to make ones last meal be at say 5pm one day and then fast through to 5pm-ish the following day. You get to sleep through most of your fast, you can offset the hypocaloric state a bit that second day by sneaking in 2-3 small meals thus making your food requirements on the following days a bit easier.

This is pure conjecture on my partbut I have enjoyed both the process and the results.
Robb
Old 12-24-2003, 08:42 PM   #14
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

So are you saying eat my last meal at 5 pm monday and then do not eat again till 5 pm tuesday? I am interested in giving this a shot just want the details so that I implement it correctly....

-Jay
Old 12-25-2003, 09:30 AM   #15
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Jay-

That is what I had in mind. As this is pure speculation doing it correctly....who knows!
Robb
Old 12-25-2003, 02:20 PM   #16
J. D. Hernandez

Profile:

Well read through both Warrior Diet and Ori's other book Maximum Muscle Minimum Fat while on my 14 hour road trip. I was impressed, by the style in which the book was written. Enjoyed it almost as much as NHE, maybe in some ways more. I haved tried the warrior diet in the past without the knowledge of the specifics of the diet. I know Ori's credentials are somewhat questionable, but needless to say I was impressed. I'm a firm beleiver in people who talk the talk, definetely have to walk the walk, and Ori is one of those guys (along with Rob Faign and Greg Ellis). The book made a lot of sense for me and I'll give my reasons.

1. Paleo theories: As Ori points out in the book, man was definitely not a grazer(which is much like eating 5-7 times a day), and grazing is mostly found on the bottom of the found chain with herbivores.

2. Calories in versus calories out: The first time I tried the warrior diet, I was worried about not getting enough calories, then I remembered reading in Eliss's Ultimate Diet Secrets how much calories in takes for the internal organs to actually digest food (the majority of the calories you consume in a day go towards working the liver and other digestion related organs). Thus by not constantly consuming food your body would not need these calories. Also in a fasted state your body uses calories alot more efeicently (this was also explained in detail in NHE and UDS).

3. Overeating: It just doesn't seem practical to under consume calories. To restrict yourself from being full, just in my opinion, is unnatrual.

Needless to say I enjoyed the book. I'm now gonna try an NHE, Paleo Diet, Warrior DIet type hybrid in which my carb loads come after workouts. Will keep everyone intrested posted.
Old 12-25-2003, 02:34 PM   #17
Roy

Profile:

J.D., Sounds like an interesting plan you have there. I like Dan John's take on nutrition on his website. Very practical, and so true. I think trying many different things is the key. Even if you find something that works, once you plateau from it, it's time for something new. Thats my theory. Same goes for training. I thought about even taking some time off from the WOD and just working on my leg strength, and trampoline maneuvers. Have fun. Keep surprising yourself!

Merry Christmas!

Roy
Old 12-25-2003, 10:38 PM   #18
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Humans are not grazers...but we are foragers. Frequent small feedings with sporadic overfeeding and fasting describes the eating of HG's. Just something to keep in mind.
Robb
Old 12-25-2003, 11:34 PM   #19
J. D. Hernandez

Profile:

Rob,

As I did on my first WD experiment, and as Ori suggests, during the undereating phase, you are allowed to eat a few small infrequent meals. I usually have a can of tuna, peice of meat, nuts, or veggies and fruit. I meant the bulk of carnivores calories come from their main meal (yes, I know humans are omnivores), but the eating pattern consisting of several small meals a day, IMO resembles more of a grazing pattern. Just my opinion.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:43 AM   #20
Robert Wolf

Profile:
JD-

I hear ya...and it is important to distinguish between frequent eating ala forager and grazeer. The differences are reflected both in the food and the organism. Nutrient density and size/function of digestive tract are the key points.
Robb