CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-10-2003, 10:08 PM   #21
Janet Fisher

Profile:

So, when is the best time to partake of the coffee goddess? (pre/post-workout, morning, evening, pre/post-meal...)
Old 09-11-2003, 01:49 AM   #22
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Stevia Herb? You people practice some exotic nutritional habits here!:happy: Never even heard of it! What is it/Where can I find it Roy?
Old 09-11-2003, 08:17 AM   #23
David Wood

Profile:

Stevia is a herbal sweetener. It is not calorie-free, but it is so very sweet that you need only to us a very small amount to sweeten coffee or tea (e.g. Roy's 1/32 of a teaspoon . . . couldn't be more than a couple of grams), so you get very few calories.

It tastes (to me) a little different than sugar, but not very, and not unpleasantly.

You can generally get it at "health food" stores in the States . . . not sure what your options are where you live, Alexander (are you stateside?)

Dave Wood
Old 09-11-2003, 12:05 PM   #24
Kathy Glassman

Profile:  
What are your thoughts on Splenda? I've been using it quite a bit lately and really like it as a sugar substitute. I first heard about it in Atkins interview.

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2003, 02:20 PM   #25
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
As my mother the ex-Marine always says, "Those of us with real character drink our coffee black!"
Old 09-11-2003, 06:21 PM   #26
David Wood

Profile:

Lincoln: Actually, I agree with you. I've always considered it a minor character deficit of mine that I like cream and sugar in my coffee. (I mean, if you want coffee, why dilute it?).

One other advantage of taking your coffee black is that you always have the necessary addtions with you (i.e., none).

The problem is that most coffee seved in America is atrocious, and a high-fat creamer like half-and-half will hide that fact much of the time.

Robert Heinlein worked a discussion of coffee into his novel "Glory Road" . . . he commented that coffee came in five descending grades:
1) Coffee
2) Java
3) Jamoke
4) Joe
5) Carbon remover

At my office, we seldom get above grade 4.

Kathy: I like Splenda a lot, and I'm intrigued by the chemical story of it (I understand it's a "left-handed sugar", i.e., it's essentially the sugar molecule, but with a mirror-image rotation . . . the tounge recognizes it as sugar, but the gut does not . . . can't process any calories out of it).

(Robb, please step in anytime you like . . . I'm working at the outer edge of my knowledge base here.)

The theory sounds really cool . . . but I suspect that a lot of these things will eventually turn out to have some horrible consequences (it's not NICE to fool Mother Nature . . .).

I've read (I think here) that pretty much all sugar substitutes still produce an insulin reaction in the body (that's bad), despite having few or zero calories. The exception was saccharin (in Sweet-&-Low, the pink packaging). Unfortunately, saccharin was once implicated in increased cancer risk, although the dosages involved were astronomical . . . there's no evidence that "normal" consumption increases the risk any.

It makes a certain amount of sense that any sweet flavor might produce an insulin reaction in the body . . . hormonal responses are mediated by a huge number of different elements, including (possibly) your mental set (just consider sexual arousal, which depends heavily on mental attitude). So, I'm not totally surprised that it might turn out that your body reacts by dumping insulin into the bloodstream as soon as the "sugar" taste hits your tongue . . . there's a million years of evolution that tells your body the next thing will happen is sugar (carbohydrates) hitting the gut, and the body might as well have the insulin it needs ready for it.

Why saccharin might be the exception to this, I don't know (maybe cause it doesn't taste much like sugar?). Heck, I don't even know if the story I'm relating here is accurate . . . like I said, it's something I read.

Dave Wood (reporting rumors again).
Old 09-15-2003, 10:55 PM   #27
Robert Wolf

Profile:
David-

it all looks good! i think some of the more recent studies are showing virtually all sweeteners to be potential problems with regard to insulin relaese. This is a very dose/response sort of thing but for folks who may think it has no potential down side this may not be the case. With regards to splenda it is not metabolised by us but some bacteria do and that means gas...or diarhea if one consumes too much.
Robb