CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-22-2003, 01:46 AM   #1
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Well, I could easily cut my post workout meal, since I train at night, and especially because:

a. I dont feel that hungry to eat
b. I feel bad taking in carbs this late at night.

So, first do I need nutrition after I workout? Does the all too common adage that sais eat for what youre going to do apply here? If I do need nutrtion should I keep it strictly protein and fat?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-23-2003, 06:26 AM   #2
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
BTW the same applies to my pre-workout meal...

Is it necessary? The times that I have controlled Mr. Pukey at the last minute when training, are too many too mention!

Old 07-23-2003, 09:27 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Alexander-If you do not read natural Hormonal Enhancement I will have to buy it for you and send it to you!
Robb

BTW- post WO nutrition is very important. Not throwing up during a session is also very important so limiting food prior to training is likely a good idea.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:04 AM   #4
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Yes not throwing up in the gym is also a good thing to watch out for if I still want to act cool with the girls in the front desk:proud:

I think I'll follow your suggestion and buy that book though, the subject is way too intriguing for me to put down!
Old 07-25-2003, 07:37 AM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

Well, I'm actually going to (sort of) disagree with Robb.

(Note: it is never a good idea to disagree with Robb on matters of nutrition . . . he's a biochemist, I'm not, and he probably knows 10 times as much about nutrition as I do . . . so take what I'm about to offer with a high level of doubt.)

I never found the post-workout feeding to matter that much. This may be because I never train hard enough that it might matter, or it may be that my body and goals are different.

At this point in my life (48 yo, desk job, formerly fat teenager, and the only thing I'm fighting is creeping obesity), I cannot afford to eat late at night . . . it definitely contributes to unneeded fat deposition.

So, if I had to train late in the evening, I'd forego the post-workout meal.

But, I think you're situation is probably different in almost every dimension. If I remember correctly, you're still young (20's?) and training for selection to Special Ops, yes?

If that's right, well, (a) creeping obesity is still 15 or 20 years away for you, and (b) you need every minutiae of advantage you can get. So, yes, I'd probably do a post-workout feeding (notice I'm not calling it a meal), in order to ensure maximum muscle and glycogen recovery.

I'd still:
(i) make it small (no more than 500 calories or so),
(ii) focus on protein predominantly (60% of calories?), then fat (30%?), and then carbs last.

I'd also consider looking for a way to change your workout time-of-day. Unless your body rhythms really LIKE working out in the evening, you're probably not getting the most from your workouts when you're doing them at that time.

Usually, most people get the best results if they train at whatever hour of the day their body is most "active" or "up". For me, that's the early afternoon (12-2 or so). For others, it's the early morning hours, and, for some (maybe you), it may well be the evening.

Obviously, it may not be a possible to train at the ideal time of day for any individual, or it may not be possible on all training days. Doing ANY training is so much better than doing none, I certainly wouldn't tell anyone to skip a training day because they couldn't do it at the ideal moment.

But, in your case, if you *can* move your training time to earlier in the day, you might get a better physiological response (i.e., you might be able to train harder), and you'd be able to give yourself optimal post-workout nutrition without encountering the issues that started this thread.

Best of luck,
Dave
Old 07-25-2003, 08:49 PM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
David-

Great post. Nothing in there I would disagree on other than the need for glycogen recovery post WO EVERY WO. That is not necessary if ones metabolism is shifted more towards fat metabolism. A post WO meal if exclusively fat and protein ( moderate on the protein 30-50gm) will rarely cause a fat gain problem even if consumed prior to bed.
Robb
Old 07-30-2003, 04:39 AM   #7
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Guys, thanks a lot for the responses.

To sum it up:

a. I definately need post w/o nutrition
b. With at least 30g of protein

Why all the hoopla then about carbs being essential post w/o? Is having peas and carrots say with my veal fillet not a good idea, 2 hours before bedtime?

David,
Yes you remember correctly my status and goals. If I could train at 11ish in the morning believe me Id do it, but it just isnt an option with work. I do my runs first thing in the morning but I wouldnt have time to go the gym at this time.
Old 07-30-2003, 07:53 AM   #8
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Alexander,

I believe the perfect post-workout meal/snack is chocolate milk. I believe this because it tastes REALLY GOOD. Try it! If you're hungry an hour or two later, eat a meal.

I'm not a biochemist, but I'm a damn good eater.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:00 AM   #9
Dan John

Profile:

You know, Dr. Tom Fahey (Chico State) shared with me some research that basically said that a small amount of protein BEFORE training is really crucial...in fact, I think he said "near anabolic" in the studies. So, I work on getting my protein before training. If all I am doing is some heavy stuff, I eat a can of tuna, but if I am doing Tabata Front Squats...I drink a spoonful of protein powder and wait a little longer before I push it...I have a "no fart" rule near the squat racks and a "no puke" rule in the platform area.

This said, I try not to get too addicted to any kind of drink/meal/magic potion. Norb Schemansky used to say he liked it when his competition had special "treats" because the day would come when they didn't have a perfect meal, haircut, or ritual and they would fold on the platform. In addition, I like the image of an athlete as a warrior in combat..."Sarge, could you tell the Iraqis to quit shooting, I need my creatine post-firefight drink."

Sounds somehow wrong to me.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:26 AM   #10
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
LOL Dan!;-)

Thanks for the responses guys! So, should I not care about all that talk that sais (treat your muscles with some high GI carbs along with your protein to replenish your glycogen store ASAP?)

And why do I need to replenish my muscles BTW with energy? Especially in my case, Im not going to be using them much for the next 9 hours since I go to bed 2-3 hours after my workout! I mean I understand that protein supplies them with all those amino-acids they need to grow, but what will glycogen post workout do for me?

Sorry for the seemingly childish question, I just like to know why Im doing what Im doing!:wink: