CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-09-2003, 06:00 PM   #1
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
1. I'm 16. Would it be fine for me to go on this type of eating plan? I can't see it as much different then I eat now, with the exception that I'll have less grains and more fruits + veggies.

2. Are Zone bars cool to eat? I know some of the people here say that the Zone is a grand program, but I don't really have the patience to do math at every meal... and if not, are there any other bars that ARE alright to eat?

3. What's the verdict on peanuts? I use peanuts and peanut butter on a whoooole lot of stuff right now. Would it be alright to just taper it down to maybe a tbsp or two a day? Or should I remove it completely?

Thanks for your time! I really appreciate it.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:28 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Kevin:

1) Yes (double yes!). Nothing about your age makes you ineligible for Paleo.

2) You'll get a variety of opinions. The shortest answer is "They're OK, but you can do better." Sometimes you really need a MRB (meal replacement bar), because you just don't want to put out any effort (no matter how slight) in selecting or preparing real food. Zone bars are OK in that context . . . just not as 1/3 of your diet. You really can do better, however . . .try some fruit (choose a high-fiber choice like apples or berries) and some MEAT (sliced turkey?)

3) I think hard-core Paleo will say they're off limits . . . they're technically a legume (like soybeans), not a nut. Me, I eat about two "mounded" tablespoons a day . . . that *is* my taper-off level, and I'll be damn if I'll go any lower. I'd probably be a little better off if I quit it entirely, but I don't feel like making that particular sacrifice.

Dave
Old 09-09-2003, 07:33 PM   #3
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Thanks for the help!

It's not that I don't want to prepare real food though, it's just that it's hard to eat a piece of fruit and some meat in a total of 2 minutes, lest I choke and pass out right before Psychology.

But anywho, I really appreciate the response. Thanks.