CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 02-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
Jackson Harmer

Profile:
Erg workout question for actual MMA fighters

I do an erg workout I call the MMA. It's three rounds of 5 minutes on the erg, with 1' rest between rounds. Row as many meters as possible in the 15 minutes. It's absolutely brutal. Wondering how it compares to the fatigue fighters feel in a 3 round bout. If anybody with fighting experience would be willing to give it a shot and report hear I'd love to hear about it!
Old 02-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
Pearse Shields

Profile:
Re: Erg workout question for actual MMA fighters

Sure, it's a brutal workout, but the thing about MMA is that the pace is constantly changing. You're sometimes attacking, sometimes defending, sometimes you are just circling, looking for openings, or recovering. There's much more to it than just going hard for 5 minutes at a time. There's also the thing of local muscular fatigue, which you're much more likely to feel in rowing (legs, forearms etc start burning), whereas in MMA, it's that the overall system itself has been taxed.

In short: No, it's not quite the same thing.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
Adam Molnar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
Sure, it's a brutal workout, but the thing about MMA is that the pace is constantly changing. You're sometimes attacking, sometimes defending, sometimes you are just circling, looking for openings, or recovering. There's much more to it than just going hard for 5 minutes at a time. There's also the thing of local muscular fatigue, which you're much more likely to feel in rowing (legs, forearms etc start burning), whereas in MMA, it's that the overall system itself has been taxed.

In short: No, it's not quite the same thing.
Agreed on this one. It is really hard to simulate a fight, cause you are not the one to dictate the pace, always changing, and gets hard & fast when someone is in your face....plus you have to continously concentrate, so mental fatigue could be another tricky part.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
Jackson Harmer

Profile:

Makes sense, thanks.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
Josh Passini

Profile:

You can simulate closely but like was stated before it really hard to mimic a fight due to some uncontrollable forces like Adrenaline dump, etc. I do have my fighters do everything in there power to control the pace. It takes a lot of practice and rounds to gain the ability but controlling the pace is huge.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
Matt J Negline

Profile:
Talking Re: Erg workout question for actual MMA fighters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Harmer View Post
I do an erg workout I call the MMA. It's three rounds of 5 minutes on the erg, with 1' rest between rounds. Row as many meters as possible in the 15 minutes. It's absolutely brutal. Wondering how it compares to the fatigue fighters feel in a 3 round bout. If anybody with fighting experience would be willing to give it a shot and report hear I'd love to hear about it!
I think the rower is a tough tough piece of equipment to use and you could feel a similar type of exhaustion to that of a fight, but as the other have said, in any sort of fight the variables in a fight are completely different to that of a rowing session. I guess you could improve it by pairing up with someone and calling out for random intensities throught the session.

But as any real fighter would know; you also have the adrenalin dump, the crowd and your opponent beating you up............ If you like I can cheer for you and smash you around the head while you row?
Old 10-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Harmer View Post
I agree with what was already said but having that been said, the rower is still much better for increasing endurance and cardio in terms of fighting then running. That and those mountain climbing machines
Old 11-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #8
Ian Nigh

Profile:

you should try 'rassling and rowing. WOD created by Hakleman and Chuck Liddell I believe. It was something like 5 rounds of 1min max effort row, 1min wrestling for position with a fresh opponent every time.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
Andrew Joseph

Profile:

Why create a new fight simulation routine? Fight training has been around for centuries and, unlike with other sports, it has varied relatively little during that time.

The best training for fight rounds is sparring--maybe pushing yourself by rotating opponents, taking smaller rest breaks, doing pushups/situps during "rest" breaks or doing more rounds.

The next best training is doing fight conditioning--three minute (boxing) or five minute (MMA) rounds of jumping rope, shadow boxing and/or hitting pads, a speed bag or a heavy bag.

You're ERG workout is probably a pretty good third choice but I suspect that it is better for general conditioning than it is for fight conditioning.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
Richard Colon

Profile:

As an extremely well known MMA/Conditioning Coach once taught/said to me at his certification.

If you aren't, at some point, somewhere during the session, getting punched in the face, then you aren't training MMA.

Along those lines, and this is coming from a boxer (not a pro, not even an amateur, but trained with some serious people) that has had countless sparring sessions and been hit many times...

Everyone has a plan and everything seems manageable until you get hit in the face. Then it all goes to hell. Conditioning is an entirely different beast when the idea (there is tons of mental there) that you could get kicked in the head is there. When someone is laying on you. Do your row thing then lay on the ground and put a 200lb sandbag on your chest. Try and breathe. Now imagine, about every 3-5 seconds some imaginary appendage resembling an elbow grows out of the side of the sandbag and tries to place it - firmly - in your eye socket. Breathing, mental focus, effort, energy expenditure and everything you thought you knew from a flywheel with a chain and handle changes.

Last edited by Richard Colon : 03-06-2013 at 02:16 PM.