CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
Michael Loucas

Profile:
Yet another Wendler 5-3-1 Template

Since I finished with my Smolov cycle, I need to move on to something else. Wanted to give 5-3-1 a try, but couldn't find any good spreadsheets so I decided to create one using the same format used in the stronglifts smolov template (I really like the look of it)

There's a different sheet for 4 days, 3 days, and 2 days a week lifts (Didn't really bother with the 1). You put in the date you want to start, and your maxes on each and it automatically fills in the correct weights based on the percentage of 90% of your max.

Let me know what you guys think, or if you think I should change anything.
Attached Files
File Type: email Wendler 5-3-1.xls (53.5 KB, 15944 views)

Last edited by Michael Loucas : 01-17-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Dana Rice

Profile:
Re: Yet another Wendler 5-3-1 Template

Looks cool. Are you planning on doing any assistance work? I started Wendler about 9 months ago, and built a spreadsheet that tracks and calculates the assistance work as well. This actually leads me to a question I have been meaning to ask - for those who are on 5/3/1:
I rotate my assistance work every 4 weeks - basically flipping back and forth between an A and a B for mesocycles. Are you guys increasing the weight on your assitance work as your maxes increase during the program?

I have been - and actually calculated a percentage for most of my assistance lifts off of one of my big 4 maxes (example: I do 3 sets of incline bench as an assistance on my bench day at 55% of what my stated bench max is), so as I increase my max, the assistance weight will increase automatically as well. Just wondering if anyone else is doing this as well.

Sorry - don't mean to hijack your thread.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Rice View Post
Looks cool. Are you planning on doing any assistance work? I started Wendler about 9 months ago, and built a spreadsheet that tracks and calculates the assistance work as well. This actually leads me to a question I have been meaning to ask - for those who are on 5/3/1:
I rotate my assistance work every 4 weeks - basically flipping back and forth between an A and a B for mesocycles. Are you guys increasing the weight on your assitance work as your maxes increase during the program?

I have been - and actually calculated a percentage for most of my assistance lifts off of one of my big 4 maxes (example: I do 3 sets of incline bench as an assistance on my bench day at 55% of what my stated bench max is), so as I increase my max, the assistance weight will increase automatically as well. Just wondering if anyone else is doing this as well.

Its OK, we can discuss the program here as I'm new to it. I need to think about the assistance exercises I'm going to do, as I'm not very familiar at what I need to program. I'm definitely going to do Chin-ups and Ring Dips. As far as the rest of the equipment I have, I have a squat rack, flat bench (doesn't incline/decline), EZ curl bar, and a bunch of Olympic bars. Any ideas?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
Dana Rice

Profile:

the program is actually pretty flexible with what you can do - Wendler gives some recommendations. Really it depends on what your focus is. You can program for powerlifting, bodybuilding, or even conditioning work (metcons). Typically what I do - I will do my 3 sets of the main lift - then do 2 additional sets at 60% of my max and 2-3 other movements for assistance in that same area. Example for Bench day: 5/3/1, then 2 sets at 60%, 3 sets of incline press (DB or Barbell, depending if I am on A or B), 3 sets of weighted dips, then 3 sets of some plyo variation of pushups.

I do train biceps and triceps, but usually only do 1 movement and throw it in at the end of squat (bicep) and deadlift (tricep) day. I space it out so it will not interfere with bench or press.

I alot of people will through rows or some other pull movement (chins) on bench day. I actually do a 5th day of training and treat back on its own - trying to equal the volume I do on bench day so as to not create any imbalences in my shoulders. I do metcons completely seperately on the Weekends.

It has worked pretty well for me. I got stuck in a rut for a while, but since starting this program I have seen my press increase from 175 to 220, squat from 385 to 435, bench from 315 to 380 and DL from 450 to 515. I have been in the program for 9 months and haven't had to reset yet, but I think it is coming soon for press and squat.

<i>edit: restated my press - just realized I had not tested at this weight yet, it is the weight I am currently working off of, but have not gotten 225 yet.</i>

Last edited by Dana Rice : 01-18-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Ben Moore

Profile:

Some ideas for assistance work - vary reps and sets depending on your goals...

MILITARY PRESS DAY -

delt / chest exercise - pick one of the following : 3-5 sets of 6-20 reps -

side db raises
db incline press
db flat bench
weighted dips
blast strap pushups

rear delt / trap exercise - pick one of the following for 3-5 sets of 10-25 reps -

barbell shrugs
db rear delt raises
face pulls
db power cleans
band pull aparts

DEADLIFT DAY -

Pos. chain / Ham exercise - pick one of the following for 3-5 sets of 5-30 reps -

kettelbell swings
leg curls
back extensions
glute ham raises
pullthroughs

Abs / Obliques exercise - pick one of the following for 3-5 sets of 10-50 reps -

ab wheel rollouts
situps
hanging leg raises
weighted crunches
side bends

FLAT BENCH DAY -

delt / chest exercise - pick one of the following for 3-5 sets of 6-20 reps -

pushups
incline bench
upright rows
side db raises

lat exercise - pick one of the following for 3-5 sets of 6-30 reps -

chinups/pullups
pulldowns
db rows
chest supported rows
pulley rows

SQUAT DAY :

Quad exercise - pick one of the following for 3-5 sets of 6-20 reps -

bulgarian split squats
lumberjack squats
hack squats
front squats
leg presses

Abs / obliques exercise- pick one of the following for 3-5 sets of 10-50 reps -

weighted situps
hanging leg raises
ab wheel rollouts
weighted crunches
side bends
Old 01-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #6
Phil Griffin

Profile:

Can someone who has downloaded that file run a virus scan on it? I only have my work computer right now, which seems to be extremely susceptible to viruses. But I want that template, thinking of trying to accellerate my strength gains. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
Ben Moore

Profile:

seems to be good to go...
Old 01-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Griffin View Post
Can someone who has downloaded that file run a virus scan on it? I only have my work computer right now, which seems to be extremely susceptible to viruses. But I want that template, thinking of trying to accellerate my strength gains. Thanks in advance.
I can assure you, there are no viruses in it.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
Phil Griffin

Profile:

Thanks for the assurances, I opened it and it's virus free.

So...strength is my weakness. Squat 1RM 295; DL 335 (maybe a bit more, have not really pushed this one) Bench 166, press 122. My 2012 goals, among other things, call for a 355lb squat, 400lb DL, 200lb bench, and a 150lb press. Basically I want 20% increases across the board, nothing radical.

I race motocross in the summer, so maintaining cardio is crucial. I'm 6'1, 195 and 37 years old. I feel I should be able to get those strength goals with minimal weight gain.

I'm currently following the main site, doing 3 on 1 off, and adding in lifts in addition to (sometimes in place of) the main site WOD.

I'm thinking of replacing one WOD out of each group of 3 with the 5-3-1 (followed by a short metcon), so I'd do the 5-3-1 twice every 8 days.

Thoughts?
Old 01-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Rice View Post

I did Wendler for about 6 months last year, and ran a 3 month program for 20 athletes in my box last fall. I did very close to what you describe.