CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 09-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #171
Boris Lau

Profile:
Re: Final games thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
That's fine to express your opinion, Stu. I've got no problem with it and I hope nobody else does either.

My comment re. "juice" was taken from the quote above yours in my previous post - that is all, Stu.

I agree that recovery is a big issue for people with heavy travel schedules... and for most, the primary factor in taking PEDs is to speed up recovery time so that they can train more frequently. I do not know what Annie's training schedule was for the 7 weeks prior to the Games, or the 12 months prior to the Games this year. However, she is pretty young (a relative term, of course) and so she is better suited to quick recoveries than the ladies in their late 20s and the 30 somethings. Perhaps I am naively hoping for the best, until presented with evidence indicating the worst.

To answer your question, Yes - I did see her, and all other male and female competitors. I saw her and the rest of the competitors quite often throughout the weekend. I was on hand as a volunteer at the field for WOD 2, day 1 - mostly helping to line up folks in the "tunnel" before they took the field (allowing me to be right next to all of the competitors as they took the field), and in the stadium for WOD 3 to reset the bars. I was also in the field during day 2 for WODs 4 resetting equipment and I was also on the track surface next to the pullup rig for WOD 5, so I could reset all of the equipment for each heat.

Outdoors, the volunteers and judges also had tent sections adjacent to the special athlete tent sections. Indoors we also had adjacent areas for rest/food/etc. (the athletes also had training areas), so that put us in close contact/proximity with the athletes all weekend long.
Not to stir things up here, but I think he meant Annie Sakamoto, not Annie Thorisdottir (who is relatively young)
Old 09-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #172
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
He said Annie S., so he was talking about Sakamoto rather than Thorisdottir. Annie S. is not young at all by CF Games standards.
Oops. My bad. Should have clarified that from the beginning.

that said, Annie S. has always had big guns. She was one of my favorite firebreathers from the old days of CF. Love the videos of her and Greg Amundson doing Fran and Elizabeth together. I did not think there was much if any change in her physique since those videos in 2006-2008.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #173
Sean Dunston

Profile:

yikes... just saw this photo, which I agree could raise some eyebrows...

wfs

http://www.crossfitbrisbane.com/.a/6...92b2970d-500wi
Old 09-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #174
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
yikes... just saw this photo, which I agree could raise some eyebrows...

wfs

http://www.crossfitbrisbane.com/.a/6...92b2970d-500wi

A couple years ago vs now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	annie-thrusters-1024x712.jpg
Views:	1639
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	8289

Name:	anniedlgood3bad.jpg
Views:	1659
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	8290

Name:	friday+%25287%2529.jpg
Views:	908
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	8291

Name:	friday+%252898%2529.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	8292

ETA: I'm not implying or going to imply that anyone is using PEDs without test results (or that PED use is or isn't wrong for that matter), but with the difference shown in physique if there wasn't some amount of suspicion it would just be silly.

Last edited by Rebecca Roth : 09-06-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #175
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Exactly.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #176
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

So I've been crossfitting + following various strength programs for 3 years and have eliminated virtually all crappy food my diet, and I still don't have buffer arms than Annie S. even though she's older than me and is a woman and only trained 7 weeks for the games?.

*edit. Reminds me of when my workout buddy was standing next to Heather Bergeron and I gave him crap about how her arms were bigger than his.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 09-06-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #177
Niall Somerville

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
So I've been crossfitting + following various strength programs for 3 years and have eliminated virtually all crappy food my diet, and I still don't have buffer arms than Annie S. even though she's older than me and is a woman and only trained 7 weeks for the games?.

*edit. Reminds me of when my workout buddy was standing next to Heather Bergeron and I gave him crap about how her arms were bigger than his.
Sucks doesn't it? I'm in the same boat.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #178
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post

IMO, there are 5 things that affect your or anyone's training/performance/physique.

Genetics
Nutrition
Training
Recovery
Chemistry*
Old 09-08-2011, 07:12 AM   #179
Charles Applin

Profile:

Not claiming anyone did or did not use substances banned by the CrossFit Games rules. I'm just wondering are there time limits involved with regard to these substances.

Is it: use it once, can never compete; use it within x months of competition cannot compete; have a positive urinalysis and be banned?

In other words, say I don't live in a country that tends to throw people in jail for years for doing something that harmed no other person and in the 1980's had a knee-jerk reaction to one olympic game event and criminalized steroids. Now, in this other country I live where steroid use is perfectly legal, how long must I not said substances prior to being able to compete in CF Games 2012?

I have read the rules, but it seemed kind of hazy on time lines for those that would openly use such substances. Did I miss something?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #180
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post
Not claiming anyone did or did not use substances banned by the CrossFit Games rules. I'm just wondering are there time limits involved with regard to these substances.

Is it: use it once, can never compete; use it within x months of competition cannot compete; have a positive urinalysis and be banned?

In other words, say I don't live in a country that tends to throw people in jail for years for doing something that harmed no other person and in the 1980's had a knee-jerk reaction to one olympic game event and criminalized steroids. Now, in this other country I live where steroid use is perfectly legal, how long must I not said substances prior to being able to compete in CF Games 2012?

I have read the rules, but it seemed kind of hazy on time lines for those that would openly use such substances. Did I miss something?
If you or anyone else is using a substance (and I'm not saying you are, I'm just using a general term), you should know what that substance does, how it reacts in your body, and how long it is active as well as how long it is traceable. If you or anyone else doesn't know these things, they should not be taking the substance. IMO

Hence, if you know how long its traceable, you know how long to be "off" before testing. I know that's NOT what the general CF community wants to hear, but its the truth in every sport. If you don't believe it, you're living on another planet.