CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #11
Wayne Riddle
Member Wayne Riddle is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lewiston  ME
Posts: 1,779
Re: Gillian Mounsey

Know what you want for fitness goals and train to meet those goals. Go kill them Gillian.
 
Old 07-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #12
Tamara Cohen
Member Tamara Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 4,392
Re: Gillian Mounsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
Know what you want for fitness goals and train to meet those goals. Go kill them Gillian.
Exactly.

It sounds like common sense, but it is easy to get caught up in other people's goals for you. And, it is easy to keep training one way because it feels "right" even if your goals have changed. I certainly learned this the hard way.
 
Old 07-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #13
Brett Dartt
Member Brett Dartt is offline
 
Brett Dartt's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tacoma  WA
Posts: 983
Re: Gillian Mounsey

read that at rips. FANTASTIC article. would expect this whole thread shut down though soon
 
Old 07-24-2011, 11:05 PM   #14
Pearse Shields
Member Pearse Shields is offline
 
Pearse Shields's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Palmerston  New Zealand
Posts: 1,798
Re: Gillian Mounsey

I hope not. I've favourited the link, and shall be showing it to anyone who I think may be interested in reading it.
__________________
If it had parents, eat it till you're full My YouTube
 
Old 07-25-2011, 04:41 AM   #15
Justin Z. Smith
Member Justin Z. Smith is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Alexandria  VA
Posts: 390
Re: Gillian Mounsey

I wonder what Charles Barkley is doing now too, after hearing about him a few months ago. Is he still at it?

Justin
 
Old 07-25-2011, 06:37 AM   #16
Andrew Bell
Member Andrew Bell is offline
 
Andrew Bell's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston  TX
Posts: 4,021
Re: Gillian Mounsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Z. Smith View Post
I wonder what Charles Barkley is doing now too, after hearing about him a few months ago. Is he still at it?

Justin
There was a pic of him somewhere on facebook the other day at an affiliate so I guess so.
__________________
| Log (wfs) |
 
Old 07-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #17
Michael Kelley
Member Michael Kelley is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Virginia Beach  VA
Posts: 317
Re: Gillian Mounsey

Links didn't work for me...
 
Old 07-25-2011, 08:23 AM   #18
Mark E. Wallace
Member Mark E. Wallace is offline
 
Mark E. Wallace's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cedar Park  TX
Posts: 3,869
Re: Gillian Mounsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kelley View Post
Links didn't work for me...
Then you probably didn't try the tinyurl one that Sean provided.

Mark
__________________
"Ima champ Still pushin Strong, Remember You only get what you train FOR>"
Snarky answers -- Free of charge.
 
Old 07-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #19
Emily Mattes
Member Emily Mattes is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Baltimore  MD
Posts: 1,015
Re: Gillian Mounsey

I was pretty disgusted with the body image aspects--the encouragement for her to drop muscle and bodyweight so she didn't look "big" and was more presentable as a Crossfit Girl.

To me that is the flip side of the "Strong is the New Skinny" and the other faux-empowerment "GURL POWER" strength movements popping up--they are not so much about encouraging female athleticism as they are about encouraging female athleticism within a very specific aesthetic. Their favored aesthetic endpoint may be different from the Tracy Andersons of the world, but ultimately their methods and goals are the same.

I'm glad Gillian is able to focus more on performance and come to better terms with her self-image.
 
Old 07-25-2011, 01:11 PM   #20
Sam Ser
Member Sam Ser is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Jerusalem  Israel
Posts: 1,137
Re: Gillian Mounsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
I was pretty disgusted with the body image aspects--the encouragement for her to drop muscle and bodyweight so she didn't look "big" and was more presentable as a Crossfit Girl.

To me that is the flip side of the "Strong is the New Skinny" and the other faux-empowerment "GURL POWER" strength movements popping up--they are not so much about encouraging female athleticism as they are about encouraging female athleticism within a very specific aesthetic. Their favored aesthetic endpoint may be different from the Tracy Andersons of the world, but ultimately their methods and goals are the same.

I'm glad Gillian is able to focus more on performance and come to better terms with her self-image.
Agreed. It stinks that she *allowed* pressure to look a certain way change her lifestyle and self-image to one that she at first found thrilling and profitable, but ultimately realized was self-destructive.
 
 


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.