CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 06-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #21
Lan Halbert

Profile:
Re: Muslim weightlifter's wish to wear modest clothing triggers rules debate

So a secular (non religious) weightlifting event is now being asked to bow to special religious considerations? No.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #22
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan Halbert View Post
So a secular (non religious) weightlifting event is now being asked to bow to special religious considerations? No.
If lockout can be verified and a female official can check that she's not wearing assistance equipment, why should she not be allowed to compete?

Do we live by the spirit of the law, or the letter? I am slightly more on the fence about the long pants and sleeves, but banning the hijab makes about as much sense as the requirement that female beach volleyball competitors must be dressed in bikinis (now that's a topic of discrimination . . .).

One would think those with qualms about Islam would be all about encouraging Muslim women to weightlift . . .

Old 06-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #23
Lan Halbert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
If lockout can be verified and a female official can check that she's not wearing assistance equipment, why should she not be allowed to compete?

Do we live by the spirit of the law, or the letter? I am slightly more on the fence about the long pants and sleeves, but banning the hijab makes about as much sense as the requirement that female beach volleyball competitors must be dressed in bikinis (now that's a topic of discrimination . . .).

One would think those with qualms about Islam would be all about encouraging Muslim women to weightlift . . .
The great thing about this country is if you don't like the rules, you don't have to play. You can simply start up your own weightlifting league and make your own rules. Problem solved.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #24
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Gowens View Post
Rarely do I disagree with Katherine, but...
Religion is a choice. That choice means giving things up sometimes, even if it means competition in a lifting meet. That's a consequence of the choice to follow any specific religion.
*shrug*
Same goes anyone observing the Sabbath and wanting to do comps. One love has to give way for the other. Which is it going to be?

She's not being mistreated.

She's being treated exactly like everyone else.
AGREED

Quote:
The great thing about this country is if you don't like the rules, you don't have to play. You can simply start up your own weightlifting league and make your own rules. Problem solved.
Yep, but your league may not be recognized by the IOC or IWF, so if you want to compete at an elite level you'll eventually have to play by the recognized governing body.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #25
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
+1 completely agree

at no point should a secular institution be asked to change rules to accommodate awkward religious rules.

don't like the rules in the secular organization, feel free to not participate, simple as that. as far as i can tell everyone has the same rules here so there is no discrimination.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #26
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
And I know at least Hossein Rezazadeh is a devout Muslim, and I'm sure there are plenty more competitive male weightlifters who are Muslim.
muslim men are called to modesty too and you won't see shorts in the ME on men, definitely not a singlet.

BUT hossein rezazadeh plays by the rules in weightlifting, that's the difference, he isn't asking to change the rules so he can wear thick polyester slacks to lift in.

Last edited by Michael Dowling : 06-10-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #27
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
muslim men are called to modesty too and you won't see shorts in the ME on men, definitely not a singlet.

BUT hossein rezazadeh plays by the rules in weightlifting, that's the difference, he isn't asking to change the rules so he can wear thick polyester slacks to lift in.
Nice strawman. I don't think anyone here has any illusions that Muslim men are subject to the same strictures of modesty as Muslim women.

Again, wondering why everyone here is hung up on the letter of the law over the spirit . . .

Old 06-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #28
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Nice strawman. I don't think anyone here has any illusions that Muslim men are subject to the same strictures of modesty as Muslim women.

Again, wondering why everyone here is hung up on the letter of the law over the spirit . . .
in sports and competition there is no "spirit of the law" not sure who told you otherwise.

and actually your explanation is the strawman, i never said muslim men were held to the same standard of modesty at all. BUT they are called to modesty and hossein does make an exception so he can participate in sanctioned weightlifting events.

Last edited by Michael Dowling : 06-10-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #29
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:

Because it involves someone different than them and their religion. Pretty simple.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #30
Jeff Yan

Profile:

What's the harm in asking? I don't see any.

I think it's reasonable and commendable that the IWF is taking this into consideration. There is usefulness in making amendments and questioning whether or not certain rules still have any relevance.

If the IWF can come up with a solution that doesn't compromise the integrity of the sport and is easy to implement, then there really shouldn't be a huge issue.