CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
JD Hudack

Profile:
Question regarding paleo

Hey guys, I'm new to CF, just started last week and I wanted to get the most out of it. I have heard of different diets that are out there but was wondering if there was a specific way to tweak the paleo diet that could help me gain more lean muscle, since the few articles I have read on it make it seem like it would lean me out too much. I know just adding more protein to my plate is an obvious way but I wasnt sure if there were other foods that would help too without just overloading on too much protein but not enough fats or carbs? Sorry if this is an ignorant question but I wanted to come to the source to get advice.

The only reason I bring up the paleo diet is because it is what sounds most promising when wanting to achieve lean muscle. By all means if there are any other suggestions out there I am more than willing to hear about them.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Question regarding paleo

Why would you not get enough fat or carbs? Paleo definitely includes plenty of fat options, and you can get all the carbs you need through stuff like squash, sweet potatoes, and fruit.

If you lean out too much it's because you're not eating enough. So eat more. More of everything basically...dense carbs, good fats (olive oil, avocado, coconut milk/oil, nuts), and more protein from meat and eggs.

The other part of the equation is training the right way. If you want to add lean mass you need to be lifting heavy on a regular basis, and keeping conditioning workouts short and intense and only two or three times per week.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
JD Hudack

Profile:

I only saw a couple articles on Paleo thats why I dont know that much about it, I understand what youre saying though. Sorry for coming here without all of the information researched I just thought I'd ask straight forward than read 20+articles on diets. I'm sure the Paleo diet will be fine for me I just didnt know if there were people out there who had experimented with it but found a diet better for that specific purpose
Old 05-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Some people trying to gain do a Paleo + dairy approach.

Also, see this thread (wfs):

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=67408