CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-27-2011, 05:11 AM   #11
Valarie Wright

Profile:
Re: Saturated Fat .. a new study

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
*All links wfs*
Great links Darryl! Lol .. this will keep me busy for a bit!
Old 05-27-2011, 05:44 AM   #12
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew James View Post
Since you live in England, we'll give you a pass on this.

Americans embrace the anti-saturated fat gospel with fervor. Even many morbidly obese people avoid it as much as possible, using things like hydrogenated oils, margarine, skim milk, and a whole host of other crap, while avoiding nutritious foods such as eggs, whole milk, and butter. The comments in the article about American food manufacturers replacing the saturated fat in foods with highly processed carbs are dead on.
The data shows that Americans did not reduce their fat intake or replace fats with highly processed carbs. They simply added refined carbohydrates (sugars) to their existing diet.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:55 AM   #13
Andrew James

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
The data shows that Americans did not reduce their fat intake or replace fats with highly processed carbs. They simply added refined carbohydrates (sugars) to their existing diet.
I question the validity of the data, is my point. Any study done based on recall of what the test subjects ate is suspect. But assuming the data is accurate, I'll move on.

You're getting a little caught up in the definition of the word "replaced." If, as the study shows, % calories from carbs increased and % calories from fat decreased, carbs have "replaced" fats in the American diet even if the total calories in diet encreased. Quote from abstract below:

"This report summarizes the results of that analysis, which indicate that, during 1971--2000, mean energy intake in kcals increased, mean percentage of kcals from carbohydrate increased, and mean percentage of kcals from total fat and saturated fat decreased."

Last edited by Andrew James : 05-27-2011 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:23 AM   #14
Jason Halm

Profile:

I really don't think Darryl and Paleo are that far from one another. Darryl hasn't been an unreasonable person; from the sound of it, he advocates whole foods, mostly plants. We advocate whole foods, with a lot of animals AND a lot of plants. I think if (most) people followed Darryl's advice, we'd be a lot better off. The main health problem is not sprouted bread or rice and beans. It's pop, oreos, and oatmeal from mcdonald's.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:44 AM   #15
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Halm View Post
I really don't think Darryl and Paleo are that far from one another. Darryl hasn't been an unreasonable person; from the sound of it, he advocates whole foods, mostly plants. We advocate whole foods, with a lot of animals AND a lot of plants. I think if (most) people followed Darryl's advice, we'd be a lot better off. The main health problem is not sprouted bread or rice and beans. It's pop, oreos, and anything from mcdonald's.
edited for accuracy
Old 05-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #16
Andrew James

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Halm View Post
I really don't think Darryl and Paleo are that far from one another. Darryl hasn't been an unreasonable person; from the sound of it, he advocates whole foods, mostly plants. We advocate whole foods, with a lot of animals AND a lot of plants. I think if (most) people followed Darryl's advice, we'd be a lot better off. The main health problem is not sprouted bread or rice and beans. It's pop, oreos, and oatmeal from mcdonald's.
I don't think Darryl is unreasonable at all. I'm not Paleo either and based on the content of his prior posts, I don't think he and I disagree on much related to nutrition.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:20 AM   #17
John Jaeckel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett Reznick View Post
I love it! Does anyone actually have the links to any of the studies they actually talk about in the articles?

I would love to see:
1. Journals showing that Cholestrol (HDL or LDL) is beneficial or bad.
2. What resources, particuarly journals, do Paleo Dietiers (like myself) use to say that eating fat is ok and cholestrol levels are not corralated to dealth and heart disease.
3. Journals showing why the medical community think that high cholestrol levels are bad

Any help would be much welcomed
Framingham Heart Study, one of the largest and most comprehensive in U.S. history (I believe), emphatically states there is no causal link between saturated fat consumption and heart disease.

LDL (low-density lipoprotein), is not, in fact, "cholesterol." Regardless, LDL has a positive function within the body. Some types of LDL (when unduly elevated) can be harmful. Some are not.

It's very simple: HDL is good. VLDL (triglycerides—caused by excessive carbohydrate consumption) are bad.

Keep your ratio of triglycerides to HDL at 3-1 or lower. Not easily done with a typical Western diet. Very easily done with Paleo.

Coincidence? No, it's because "Paleo" is the diet our bodies evolved on.

Last edited by John Jaeckel : 05-27-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #18
Jason Halm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew James View Post
I don't think Darryl is unreasonable at all. I'm not Paleo either and based on the content of his prior posts, I don't think he and I disagree on much related to nutrition.
Yeah--wasn't really directed at anyone in particular. But i think it's fairly important to note that when he and someone else on this forum disagree, it's usually that they agree on 98% of what someone needs to do, and that 2% is what is disagreed on.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:08 PM   #19
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
Keep your ratio of triglycerides to HDL at 3-1 or lower. Not easily done with a typical Western diet.
Should I tell my doctor to redo my last lipid panel, then? Both my HDL ratio and absolute HDL were fabulous, and my fondness for grains should be pretty well known around here by now.

In fairness, I'm not exactly eating the "typical Western diet" either. Very little soda, very little processed food of any kind. But plenty of dairy, and some sort of starch with pretty much every meal. I feel great, and my doctor couldn't be happier.

Katherine
Old 05-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #20
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jaeckel View Post
Keep your ratio of triglycerides to HDL at 3-1 or lower. Not easily done with a typical Western diet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Should I tell my doctor to redo my last lipid panel, then? Both my HDL ratio and absolute HDL were fabulous....In fairness, I'm not exactly eating the "typical Western diet" either.
Yeah, John. My numbers are excellent, too, and I donít eat a typical Western diet either! So there!

Ooops, wait a minute. Uhhh, nevermind.....