CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #11
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Dairy?

What Dave said. What are you trying to do? Dairy and grains both provide relatively low-bulk calories. That's a big advantage if you're trying to gain weight or have high caloric needs, not so great if you're trying to lose weight.

If you asked what training program to follow, we would ask what you were trying to accomplish. Same thing here.

Katherine
Old 05-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #12
Stephanie Williamson

Profile:

My main goal is to be healthy and to feel good. As far as weight goes, I would prefer to lose rather than gain, but I've never really been one to weigh myself. I guess a better way to put it is I would like to lose fat. I gage myself on how my clothes fit, not by the scale.

I don't really eat grains/dairy that often - probably 2-3 times per week at most? I was reading up a bit more on Paleo and I noticed that they say no to beans and legumes too. Thoughts on that? I've always thought that beans were a good source of protein, especially black beans. Plus, they're delicious.

I'm not looking for a super strict diet and I just want something that will work for me. I've been a lot more conscious about what I'm putting into my body because I can definitely tell the difference when I do the WODs...so that's really what has prompted me into looking further into Paleo and reading through old threads on here. I've personally never had trouble with either grains or dairy, but I want to create a diet that will be perfect for me and my needs.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #13
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Most beans and legumes have phytates in varying amounts. Phytates bond with other vitamins and minerals and inhibit their absorption. Most legumes also have lectins, which irritate the digestive tracts of some people.

However, there's a lot worse things you could do than eat some black beans every now and then.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #14
Spencer James

Profile:

Legumes may not be "paleo" but I think they are a whole lot healthier than some of the "caveman" pseudo foods out there made out of almond flour and honey and dried fruit. If you had autoimmune problems or digestive issues, it might be a worthwhile experiment to remove them from your diet and then reintroduce to see how they affected you, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about them.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #15
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer James View Post
Legumes may not be "paleo" but I think they are a whole lot healthier than some of the "caveman" pseudo foods out there made out of almond flour and honey and dried fruit.
^^ This.
You have no idea how many times I've got crap for drinking milk from someone chugging a 'sugar-free-low-carb' Rockstar/ Monster energy drink.