CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
James M Wilkes Jr

Profile:
Nutrition Discipline

I need some help with my diet. I know that no matter how much one works out, if you eat the wrong things the best results will never come. I have difficulty eating right. I can eat right for a few days and then I slip up. I drink a lot of soda and almost no water. What is a good way to discipline myself so I can eat right every day, drink more water and less soda? Anyone have any good resources for a good diet plan? I'm in the military and my strength and endurance is everything. So I'm not a beginner at the exercise thing, I just need some help with my nutrition

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:12 AM   #2
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: Nutrition Discipline

Don't buy garbage to place into your body. If you can't control yourself from doing that then perhaps an electric shock collar around your neck and give the remote on/off switch to a friend/spouse to zap you every time you are seem ingesting junk.

In the end it is all about willpower, Do it or don't, all up to you.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
David Hansen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M Wilkes Jr View Post
I need some help with my diet. I know that no matter how much one works out, if you eat the wrong things the best results will never come. I have difficulty eating right. I can eat right for a few days and then I slip up. I drink a lot of soda and almost no water. What is a good way to discipline myself so I can eat right every day, drink more water and less soda? Anyone have any good resources for a good diet plan? I'm in the military and my strength and endurance is everything. So I'm not a beginner at the exercise thing, I just need some help with my nutrition

Thanks!
First, you're going to need to define "slip up". If you go 3 days eating perfectly clean, then on the 4th day you have one meal during the day that is suboptimal, that's probably not going to kill your progress. If, however, you spend 3 days eating decently then spend the entirety of the 4th day shoving as many funnel cakes and donuts into your face as is humanly possible, then that's a problem.

Cutting out the soda is easy. Just do it. This is especially easy if you adopt a paleolithic diet, since soda is usually the "go-to" beverage for washing down starchy things like bread and pasta.

If you absolutely can't mentally eliminate the soda immediately, at least switch to diet sodas as a transitory solution, then wean yourself off those. This approach will elicit many cries and howls from this board, since aspartame is taken to be the devil, but the minuscule amounts of methanol and aspartic acid your body has to contend with is infinitely better than the load the corn syrup places on your liver.

Additionally, you should post a food log snippet. Many people who think they are eating healthy actually are not. It would help if you could post an example of your "good" days.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Melody Glasgow

Profile:

Cut the soda completely. I have a sugar tooth (i.e. sugar addiction), and when I cut out all sugar I'll get gnarly cravings after about 3 days and then they go away about day 5. After that I don't really crave it unless I have a little bit and then it starts all over.

Cut the sugar out cold turkey, suck it up through the withdrawals and be happier for it. After a few weeks you'll notice endurance workouts are easier.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
Sheldon Kreger

Profile:

This is simple conceptually. Your desire for health/optimization needs to be greater than your desire for bad food.

It's a natural inclination for many of us once you think about it in these terms. It also eliminates the need for willpower (which often fails). If you desire for bad food is gone, then you never need to fight yourself to avoid it. I've reached a point where it's easier to avoid it than to eat it.

-sheldon
Old 05-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
Andrew Milligan

Profile:

The easiest way to cut soda is to not buy it at the grocery store. If it's not in the house, you won't drink it. I have almost entire cute soda, and now when I do have one, I can only drink about half because it's so sugary. I found that if you start drinking water regularly, you won't crave soda all the time.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:50 AM   #7
James Chu

Profile:

Also, don't carry cash so you won't be tempted to buy at a vending machine.

When I gave up sodas, it took a while and I used aspartame flavored Benefiber stick packs added to water to help me through it. Yes, I know, they're not great for you, but, for me, they made the transition easier.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:31 AM   #8
Dave Traeger

Profile:

"Be the change you want to see" - Ghandi

I thought of this in my transition and I made a fairly dramatic one. Short of it is if you want to look and feel like a fit and healthy person you have to remind yourself to act like one. Fairly regularly at first, but then it becomes so enjoyable looking and feeling healthy that it becomes a habit. I now cringe at stuff I used to have on a daily basis.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #9
Mitch Jensen

Profile:

have you ever had kidney stones? a lot of soda and almost NO water....well you are on your way my man to some of the most excruciating pain you will ever feel.

I completely cut soda out unless I'm on a fishn trip...lol....which is once a year. Drink water and whole milk....nothing else.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Suck it up.

Or give up.

Perhaps a feeding tube?