CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #21
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Teehee... Caffiene powder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Cole View Post
I will preface this by disclosing that I am a distributor for this but the reason I decided to get involved was precisely the reason above. I was also a caffeine junky going paleo looking for a natural supplement to my caffeine habit. Take a look at www.sozolife.com/amazingberry and look at their "ignite" product. It's ALL natural with no sugar or preservatives and satisfies my craving!
Anything that uses a "proprietary blend" is probably a) not paleo, and b) not natural (the term natural in advertising means nothing, I could stick an "all natural" sticker on a twinkie and it would be allowed). Are there more than 1-2 ingredients listed? probably not paleo. I'll stick with my coffee made from one easily recognizable ingredient: whole roasted beans.

Also, this product is made largely from fruit juices, so it may not contain any ADDED sugar, but being fruit it would have to contain a fairly significant amount of sugar (fructose) so the claim that is has no sugar is silly.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #22
Jason Martin

Profile:
Re: Teehee... Caffiene powder

You don't need a fancy scale. Caffeine is water soluble. Take a known quantity (a gram, or some amount you can measure.... all 250g if you have no scale) add it to a known amount of water, stir well to dissolve, then divide the caffeinated water into smaller dose units. Be sure to check your math.

The LD50 of caffeine (this varies of course) is estimated to be about 150 to 200 milligrams per kilogram of body mass in humans. If you weigh 180lbs, that would be 81.64kg. so... 150mg * 80 Kg = 12,000mg or about 12 grams. That is a lot. A decent LD50 to dose ratio should allow you some wiggle room with measurement. If you get an extra 50-100 milligrams you might get a headache and feel terrible, but it's unlikely you would die from it. With a decently diluted mixture you should find your comfort zone pretty easily.

I save myself the trouble and just drink coffee.

Last edited by Jason Martin : 05-25-2011 at 11:10 AM.