CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Andrew Milligan

Profile:
Food before working out

Hello all,

I wanted to get people's thoughts on the importance of eating a meal before working out. Currently I wake up at 5:00 am, have a protein shake (26g of protein), workout from around 5:45 to 6:45, and follow that up with another 26g of protein in a shake. When I get to work around 8:00 I have some fruit and nuts for breakfast. Any thoughts on getting up at 4:30 (which sticks!) and preparing some food? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
James Chu

Profile:
Re: Food before working out

What works for someone may not work for you. Try different foods/drink and different timings to see what works for you.

For what it's worth, I'm a morning workout person, too, and I don't eat or drink anything but water before or after my workouts until noon.

Last edited by James Chu : 05-19-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
Troy Peterson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Chu View Post
What works for someone may not work for you. Try different foods/drink and different timings to see what works for you.

For what it's worth, I'm a morning workout person, too, and I don't eat or drink anything but water before or after my workouts until noon.
I'm also a 5:30am person. In order of importance to recovery/performance:

1. what your overall diet is like (fruit & nuts is OK, maybe some protein would help)
1a. how much sleep you get
2. what you eat before working out (with vary by person)

I drink down whey protein with water, maybe a couple almonds. Try a couple things and see what works, will differ for each person on eating/drinking 30-45 minutes prior.

Don't sacrifice an hour of sleep to eat something....that sleep will be more important.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
Paul Coplin

Profile:

I'm not sure how much a protein shake will help for the instant energy production for an early workout, unless it's packed with sugar. May be a waste of calories? I just gnaw on a couple quick things before morning PT: banana usually or other fruit and a carb, like half a english muffin with almond butter or a small amount of granola, and a couple bites of yogurt.

Personally, I would save the protien shake until after the workout.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:46 AM   #5
Scott Kraatz

Profile:

I'm up at 4:50 and workout at 5:10.

Whey in water (40-50g) first thing out of bed. No added sugar or fat. Quickly gets protein into my body but doesn't upset my stomach for the workout. I don't do this for energy, I'd have some coffee if I needed a pre-workout boost. I'm a morning person and workout without problems in the morning.

I also have a whey (40-50g) shake with berries and peanut butter after the workout. Works great for recovery and keeps me satiated until lunch at 12:00.

I agree, the sleep is more important to me. I'd have to get up at 4:20 to have breakfast and I don't WOD well on a full stomach.

Last edited by Scott Kraatz : 05-20-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
Karen Hayes

Profile:

I work out primarily in the morning and never eat before the workout, just coffee. I have found if I eat it upsets my stomach and I tend to feel nauseous quicker if it is a particularly tough workout. Protein drink right after though.
That said, as the other posters have said, everyone is different, I have some friends who can't workout unless they have eaten. I think it really just depends on what works for you.
http://nevertooldforcrossfit.blogspot.com/
Old 05-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
Kent Newland

Profile:

I find that if I don't eat about an hour before doing a CrossFit workout, I can't maintain energy for very long. I don't eat much, though. In the morning, about 2-3 eggs, and maybe a quarter cup of spinach. In the evening probably a handful of nuts or an apple. I eat light because it seems like food stays in my stomach for a long time when a workout is coming around. A lesson I've had to learn the hard way.

Kent
Old 05-21-2011, 06:47 AM   #8
Andy Gann

Profile:

When I worked out in the AM I wouldn't eat before hand. I was always worried that if I had too much in my stomach then I would yak during the workout. Now, I try to get some quick carbs before working out and I take advantage of the PWO window to get more carbs and protein in the form of a shake.

If I were you, I would save the protein pre workout, try to get 15 - 20g of easy carbs ... a few tbsp of corn starch in water will work and then post workout have about 30g of carb with the scoop of protein.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #9
Sheldon Kreger

Profile:

When I work out in the morning, I usually eat some fruit or a smoothie. That never leaves me feeling too full and I don't get sick during the workout. Post workout, I eat a high protein breakfast - beans and eggs, or a protein shake (or both). I also save the coffee for after the workout.

If I don't eat before working out, I sometimes get light headed and can't finish the workout.

-sheldon
Old 05-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
Andrew Milligan

Profile:

Thanks to everyone for their help! I'll try some of the different ideas and see how it goes! I'm sure my globo-gym won't mine me yacking...haha!