CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 05-26-2011, 05:01 AM   #11
Ian Nigh

Profile:
Re: Squats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Allen Pagel View Post
Mr. Gray, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
hmm, I wonder where have I read this before?

*At least be original in your flaming dude.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:14 AM   #12
Jon Gregory

Profile:

Quote:
Mr. Gray, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Whoa - who pi$$ed on your cornflakes?!!

Anyway....OP, squatting is not easy to coach or do. Its a technical lift with many potential form issues. Without seeing you squat its hard to advise you what to work on to hit the correct depth more regularly. If you can hit depth with correct form using light weight the culprit is your lack of strenght/confidence. If you can't hit depth even in an air squat you have mobility issues. You may have mobility issues anyway. Oh its too hard....post a video!!!

Old 05-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #13
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:

Jeez guys. I just watched Billy Madison. Didn't mean to cause a storm with that.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:30 AM   #14
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Carlson View Post
Richard - a bit harsh in the response, I think, especially since you didn't talk specifically why you don't think that slow squats would benefit anyone.

While I may not agree with doing slow squats since that would not benefit my training, at least Michael gave his reasons why he likes them and uses them. I think that if you are going to dismiss his ideas, a less aggressively phrased explanation of why you don't agree with him might be better.
I don't care that he likes to take 45 seconds to do a squat. But his...

"If you do an explosive squat (which definitely has its uses), you start the momentum at the beginning, then just follow the weight through the motion."

...made me laugh. It would be awesome if doing a squat explosively let you just follow the weight.

There is no difference in the amount of work being done between a slow squat and an explosive squat. One is just more efficient than the other.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:46 AM   #15
Jon Gregory

Profile:

Quote:
Jeez guys. I just watched Billy Madison. Didn't mean to cause a storm with that.
Ha ha....I found it funny but didn't know it was a quote from a film! Never seen it

Old 05-26-2011, 07:33 AM   #16
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Richard - I agree. If it were only a matter of getting out of the hole and following the weight up, I would have finished my last rep of my work sets today...

Old 05-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #17
Michael Gray

Profile:

Over the years, Iíve had some good trainers in the weight room. They consistently kept telling me the same 2 things.

Never sacrifice form for more weight.
Slow down and do it right.

When my doctor (with several medical degrees) and my nutritionist (Phd) suggested I try a new exercise program called ĎSlow Burní (by Fredrick Hahn), I was open to give it a try.

Just because my doctors have many degrees, doesn't necessarily mean they practice what they preach. But, they both happen to be state gold medalists (Tennis). I insist all my health coaches be healthy!

The reason he suggested the slow burn method was because I tend to be an over-competitive geezer (11 grand kids, 3 great grand kids), and I tend to over work myself into injury. What I found was surprising.

One of the most efficient means of building strength.
Much lower injury rate.
Strength throughout the range of motion.
Cardiovascular improvements were a real surprise.

One day, I told my Grand Son about the slow burn method. I didnít have to explain much, because his high school track coach and football coach had been teaching them this method for a couple of years.

(Mr Pagel, Wow.... Really??)

Old 05-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #18
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gray View Post
Over the years, Iíve had some good trainers in the weight room. They consistently kept telling me the same 2 things.

Never sacrifice form for more weight.
Slow down and do it right.

When my doctor (with several medical degrees) and my nutritionist (Phd) suggested I try a new exercise program called ĎSlow Burní (by Fredrick Hahn), I was open to give it a try.

Just because my doctors have many degrees, doesn't necessarily mean they practice what they preach. But, they both happen to be state gold medalists (Tennis). I insist all my health coaches be healthy!

The reason he suggested the slow burn method was because I tend to be an over-competitive geezer (11 grand kids, 3 great grand kids), and I tend to over work myself into injury. What I found was surprising.

One of the most efficient means of building strength.
Much lower injury rate.
Strength throughout the range of motion.
Cardiovascular improvements were a real surprise.

One day, I told my Grand Son about the slow burn method. I didnít have to explain much, because his high school track coach and football coach had been teaching them this method for a couple of years.

I would have to question the legitimacy of your grandson's track coach then. In no way would a slow movement aid in the rapid turn over of the feet needed in a sprint as thats an explosive movement.

If you squat heavy you are going to see cardiovascular improvement somewhat as your body sucks oxygen out of the blood like its no bodies business under a load.

Most of the doctors I know, know little about exercise or the practicality of what they preach they simply read it in a medical journal and spout it as truth. There are countless more benefits to an explosive and correctly done squat then a slow and overloading one. Also your form will be better with the explosive squat because its a shorter more intense movement and you risk less injury that way.

Keeping your muscles in tension with your slow squat doesn't prove power or endurance as the same amount of work IS accomplished by moving the bar from one point to the other and back but your anabolic work capacity is lower than someone that does it explosively which is necessitous in life.

Now with that said its your body your method but please don't try to justify someones weight training knowledge when they are a state level tennis player...I would understand if they were internationally ranked or a champion but tennis is hardly a weight training sort of sport my friend.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #19
Richard Allen Pagel

Profile:

Quote:
Sorry about that. I guess not everyone has a Billy Madison type sense of humor. Didn't mean to come off as a jerk. Sorry if I did.

Quote:
But, they both happen to be state gold medalists (Tennis)
I would rather take strength advice from strength experts. Not tennis players.

And I just looked up Fredrick Hahn, and can't find anything about him actually training people, and those people getting strong.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #20
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0 (WFS)

Guys, seriously. Breathe. Maybe even laugh.