CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 04-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Joe Bianchi

Profile:
iphone apps

I've been looking for an iphone app to track my workouts. I have found a couple but there may be some I have not seen, based on how the search feature works...some may not show up...

Does anyone use any (specifically for iphones) and are you pleased with them?
Old 04-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: iphone apps

I've had more luck with freeform notetakers than with workout-specific apps. The nature of Crossfit workouts makes them not fit all that well in apps not designed for Crossfit, but then the Crossfit apps don't handle non-Crossfit activities very well.

I used SimpleNote for a while, which I like because the data is in the cloud and therefore available on other devices. And I used EverNote for a while, which lots of people love, but found it too slow and clunky.

But I finally returned to plain old paper. Totally freeform, durable enough to drop, easy to flip back and forth. I still keep a list of PRs in SimpleNote, but beyond that paper does pretty much everything I need.

Katherine
Old 04-17-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
James A Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I've had more luck with freeform notetakers than with workout-specific apps. The nature of Crossfit workouts makes them not fit all that well in apps not designed for Crossfit, but then the Crossfit apps don't handle non-Crossfit activities very well.

I used SimpleNote for a while, which I like because the data is in the cloud and therefore available on other devices. And I used EverNote for a while, which lots of people love, but found it too slow and clunky.

But I finally returned to plain old paper. Totally freeform, durable enough to drop, easy to flip back and forth. I still keep a list of PRs in SimpleNote, but beyond that paper does pretty much everything I need.

Katherine
Ditto, I use the paper method, doesn't have battery problems either! The other thing is paper travels, works in almost any location and is cheap.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Joe Bianchi

Profile:

Thanks for the responses. I have been using the paper system and it has worked fine until recently. I've logged over 200 workouts so far (I number all of my workouts), and recently the trainer posted a WOD on the whiteboard and told me that I had already done it last summer...which is odd because I couldn't remember doing it lol.

Anyway, he was right. When i looked back, and it took a while to find it, I eventually did find it. This is where having something electronic comes in handy.

I can imagine what it would be like when I have logged over 500 workouts...
Old 04-20-2011, 11:56 PM   #5
Steve Bray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bianchi View Post
Thanks for the responses. I have been using the paper system and it has worked fine until recently. I've logged over 200 workouts so far (I number all of my workouts), and recently the trainer posted a WOD on the whiteboard and told me that I had already done it last summer...which is odd because I couldn't remember doing it lol.

Anyway, he was right. When i looked back, and it took a while to find it, I eventually did find it. This is where having something electronic comes in handy.

I can imagine what it would be like when I have logged over 500 workouts...
you could just use a spreadsheet system on your computer but still write tehm down day to day.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
Benjamin Adams

Profile:

I use myWOD. It's got it all, my WODs, the girls, heroes, max for everything. All good
Old 07-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
Brian Flick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Adams View Post
I use myWOD. It's got it all, my WODs, the girls, heroes, max for everything. All good
I agree, myWoD, is the best app for iOs. Not only does it include a bunch of named WoDs, you can add your own, and can setup your gym's RSS feed to allow you to quickly add the WoD you just did to your daily WoDs. The app has timers, and you can put in you max weights, which now also show you a percentage chart based on the weight. Great app, and great support. Try it out, you won't be disappointed.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
Pearse Shields

Profile:

I have pen and paper. I sometimes write things down.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:31 AM   #9
Hollie Jacobs

Profile:

I should check out myWoD too then. I can't always have pen and paper with me.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

have a look at fitocracy.com - they also have an app. and really they are a 4square-like game for fitness.

but i've found it to be 'not bad' for managing my workouts, despite not being crossfit specific.