CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-08-2010, 04:59 AM   #21
Kevin Bean

Profile:
Re: Pairing strength training with Crossfit.

I did 4-5 cycles of #1 but found it difficult to sustain. I'm a nightshift worker with rotating days off and found it difficult to maintain an appropriate level of sleep and proper diet to really benefit... it was draining mentally and physically. Once I recognized what was going on I switched to #3 but am starting to experiment with #2.

One thing I did find is that I had no issues at all with doing two different 5/3/1 lifts back to back. When I was doing #2 my schedule looked like

Mon: 5/3/1 Squats and presses
Tue: metcon
Wedff
Thur: metcon
Fri: 5/3/1 Deadlift and bench
Sat: metcon
Sun: off

The trick is to make sure that whatever Metcon you do on Thursday isn't going to affect your ability to do the lifts on Fri, which gets a little tricky.

For those of you doing #2, are you still limiting your metcons to 10minutes or less?

Last edited by Kevin Bean : 10-08-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:27 AM   #22
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bean View Post
I did 4-5 cycles of #1 but found it difficult to sustain. I'm a nightshift worker with rotating days off and found it difficult to maintain an appropriate level of sleep and proper diet to really benefit... it was draining mentally and physically. Once I recognized what was going on I switched to #3 but am starting to experiment with #2.

One thing I did find is that I had no issues at all with doing two different 5/3/1 lifts back to back. When I was doing #2 my schedule looked like

Wedff

The trick is to make sure that whatever Metcon you do on Thursday isn't going to affect your ability to do the lifts on Fri, which gets a little tricky.

For those of you doing #2, are you still limiting your metcons to 10minutes or less?
Wow, I like the looks of this program. Did/are you see success with it?
Old 10-10-2010, 07:29 AM   #23
Marcus Allen

Profile:

I'm partial to CFSB with a slight modification.

All my MetCons are 10min or less, and on the long MetCon day I sub to the Oly lifts, working to heavy singles. My MetCon after the shoulder press I also eliminate in favor of heavy single Oly work.

I did several cycles of CFSB in 08-09 and just this week started back again.

have a nice day!
Old 10-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #24
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

I have been doing CF WOD in the AM and CFSB in the afternoon. I also begin every day with a 5km run for time. Your body will let you know what is ideal for you. For me, I have 0 issues doing things this way. What works for some might not work for others. That is my 0.02.
Cheers,
-Matt
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)

Last edited by Matthew Vesey : 10-11-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:49 AM   #25
Kevin Bean

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Schmitt View Post
Wow, I like the looks of this program. Did/are you see success with it?
Definite success regarding strength gains. Maintaining metcons at worst. It works for me but I work nights and don't always eat right so I have to lift smart.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #26
Ben Sparks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bean View Post

Wedff

I've been on a real similar program to this one for 4 full 5-3-1 cycles now. Like Kevin, its no problem to do 2 5-3-1 strength workouts in the same day, followed by a short metcon. I stay a week or so behind cf.com mainpage so there's always something short, or something I can scale short, that I can use.

I also mix in lacrosse games, and travel for work 1-2 days a week so the schedule becomes a little randomized, so basically I ignore the days of the week.

Day 1: 5-3-1 squat & bench, <10 min metcon
Day 2: 20 min metcon
Day 3, or days 3-4: travel, rest, lacrosse games, etc.
Next workout day: 5-3-1 DL & press, <10 min metcon
Next workout day: 20 min metcon
1-2 days of rest, lacrosse, or travel...

Etc.

Just pickup wherever I left off.

How do I know its working? Every cycle of 5-3-1 I've been able to add 5lbs to bench & press and 10 lbs to DL & squat and still not only complete the cycle, but crush the 3rd sets where you can go past the Rx'd number of reps. On all the 5-5-5 days, my 3rd set has been 9 or more reps in every exercise, in every cycle. On the 3-3-3 days, 3rd set has never been less than 6 in anything. (I do limit the 3rd Deadlift set to only the 5, the 3, or the 1, because I recover from those more slowly than anything else - I'm 41.) And my conditioning in lacrosse has also continued to improve... I could play longer and harder even at the Vail Tournament this summer - at 8200' elevation.

So yeah, not just "I'm 2 weeks in and it feels good", but I've got a little more than 4 months of steady gains in both strength & conditioning, in a program that's easy to live with.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #27
Ryan Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Schul View Post
I am seeing a new trend around the affiliate pages and whatnot, pairing a strength workout with a crossfit workout. Is this what most are doing these days?

Im wondering what the best way to do this is and i think there are several options,

1. Do a one lift a day followed by crossfit.
2. Do two a days, strength in the AM, crossfit PM.
3. Separate days of strength and crossfit.

What do you guys think is the best way to go about this?
I do both 1 and 3, depending on how crowded my gym is. When I do 1, I have to do a less demanding CF-type metcon... but when I do 3 I pick something a little more challenging.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:32 AM   #28
Mike McGee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Schul View Post
I am seeing a new trend around the affiliate pages and whatnot, pairing a strength workout with a crossfit workout. Is this what most are doing these days?

Im wondering what the best way to do this is and i think there are several options,

1. Do a one lift a day followed by crossfit.
2. Do two a days, strength in the AM, crossfit PM.
3. Separate days of strength and crossfit.

What do you guys think is the best way to go about this?
Zach, I think your post got hijacked, but to answer your question. I have done all three. While in the military, I did #2, however I did CrossFit AM and Strength PM. I was a beginner CrossFitter at the time and made really good gains in strength and overall fitness. I tried #1, but couldn't get the programming down right... I was doing my own strength workouts, kind of like SS and the mainsite WODs, but on numerous occasions they'd conflict. Since my schedule doesn't allow for #3 now, I do #1. So far its been good. I use CrossFit Montclairs programming. They do a good job of combining strength and Metcons.

I think a lot of it depends on goals and time available to train. If you can do two-a-days, AM/PM, go for it. There's plenty of time between the workouts for you to rest and eat and get ready for the next round. If not, I'd go with #1. I just personally didn't like my result with #2.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #29
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Hey Zach, there has been some good advice already in this thread - but I will add my two cents.

I have recently started doing WoDs from the Crossfit Nasti (Cincinnati) web site. http://crossfitnasti.wordpress.com/ (wfs). They have a nice mix of S&C and metcon work there.

I am also about to start on a more strenghth-based program. This was posted on a thread recently - and I think it looks like a great way to add strength. Check out http://www.70sbig.com/files/Articles..._S&CP_v2.0.pdf (wfs).

I am a relative newby to CF - so pretty much evry thing I try shows big results....
Old 10-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #30
Ted Apollo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Allen View Post
I'm partial to CFSB with a slight modification.
i have always seen my best results with this type of programming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Brisson View Post
I am also about to start on a more strenghth-based program. This was posted on a thread recently - and I think it looks like a great way to add strength. Check out http://www.70sbig.com/files/Articles..._S&CP_v2.0.pdf (wfs).
thats pretty close to my schedule i am on now:

Mondays
Bench - (incline) 5/3/1
Squat – (DE)
Assistance: press, dips, etc…
CFE: intervals

Tuesdays
Deadlifts – 5/3/1
Pull ups
Assistance: olympic
Metcon: short

Wednesday
CFE: TT
Or rest

Thursday
Press – 5/3/1
Squat – 5/3/1
Assistance: OHS, front, etc…
CFE: intervals

Friday
Cleans – ME & DE
Pull ups
Assistance: deads, good mornings, back extensions, etc…
Metcon: short

Saturday
Metcon: long
Or rest

Sunday
CFE: TT
Or rest