CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #21
Pär Larsson

Profile:
Re: We need a water/swim obstacle in a CF competition. Why?

Amazing how many people will respond in a thread without actually bothering to read the first post.

To clarify:

I have no problems with people who don't want to swim. Just learn how to do it once and then be done with it. If you want to call yourself "Fittest Man/Woman On Earth" then you'd better know how, though. If you don't, then you're not really "fit" for life, or the unknown, or the unknowable. You're not prepared for a water-related emergency. Which seems to happen quite the often to people who don't expect it.

Tony Blauer showed up at this last weekend's CFE cert at CF714 in Orange, CA to advertise his business thing. Good for him. I'm not interested, but he had one absolutely awesome thing to say:
[paraphrased]:
"Coach told me there are three things in life-skills: Fitness, Fighting and Swimming - and if he could only be proficient in fitness or fighting but not both, he'd pick fighting."

Bottom line of my argument: If you don't know how to swim you're not "fit". I don't care if you can deadlift 500 lbs. I don't care if you beat me in every single WOD at an artificial gym with a bunch of equipment and rings and stuff. Once we're accidentally in the water and you don't know how to swim then you're f***ed and I'm rocking your world or saving your sorry *** as the case may be. 75% of the planet is covered with the stuff. Know it. Live it. You spent the first 9 months of your life in it.

If you don't make sure your kids know how to swim then you contribute to their risk of accidental death by drowning and I think your attitude and standard of parenting stinks. Yes, white racist Americans who excluded black people from swimming pools and such have to shoulder part of the blame for the kids who died the other day. I personally wasn't born yet nor were my ancestors in this country (I'm an immigrant), so don't blame me or my parents, please.

Riding a bicycle on the other hand is an artificial exercise that necessitates a piece of fairly complicated equipment that was only invented in the last few hundred years. Cycling has nothing to do with GPP. Surviving in a water emergency does, judging by the number of people who have died from it in the last 6 years - oh, about 250,000+.

/rant off

Last edited by Pär Larsson : 08-03-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #22
James White

Profile:

How timely...

http://www.news4jax.com/news/24499176/detail.htmlYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

Not that this discussion is race-specific. Just found it ironic that this is on today's main newspage here in Jax.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #23
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pär Larsson View Post
Now, Cammille Leblanc-Bazinet no matter what she's wearing as long as she's talking... *jawdrop*
ftw
Old 08-04-2010, 04:09 AM   #24
Darla Powell

Profile:

I know how to swim but not well. Plus my shoulders hurt thinking about it. If my box did water stuff I would shy away from it.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:44 AM   #25
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Tony Blauer showed up at this last weekend's CFE cert at CF714 in Orange, CA to advertise his business thing. Good for him. I'm not interested, but he had one absolutely awesome thing to say:
[paraphrased]:
"Coach told me there are three things in life-skills: Fitness, Fighting and Swimming - and if he could only be proficient in fitness or fighting but not both, he'd pick fighting."
Which brings up my continual point, CF needs to test martial skills somehow. A lot of people with good fitness could probably be picked apart in a fight since chinup bars don't fight back.

Justin
Old 08-04-2010, 05:32 AM   #26
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"CF needs to test martial skills somehow"

Crossfit is a conditioning program. If you want to learn to fight, you need to go to a place that can teach you how to fight.

As far as the water goes, if I could suddenly swim better than a Coastie resue swimmer, my life wouldn't change very much at all. It would not help me in my day to day activities, my choosen sports nor is there any event in my life (and I've lived within 10 minutes of large bodie of water my entire life) that would have been made better by this ability.

I'm not saying you shouldn't swim or learn how, but in the scheme of things, for most people, the return is pretty small compared to the things that CF and other land based training programs do.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:58 AM   #27
J. Thomas Boss

Profile:

Quote:
We claim to prep people for the unknown and the unknowable. We claim to build fitness for life.
True, your words are straight from the CF source documents, "Foundations" and "What is CrossFit?" I think your main points are strong and relevant for a "Should everyone learn how to swim?" thread, but as far as whether or not a swim event belongs in the CF Games, I don't think so. Why? Because, due to a large number of CFers who are involved in military/LEO/EMS (myself included), the company seems to continuously tip towards becoming a para-military entity...like it's trying to be christened as the unofficial BUD/S Training Academy or something like that. This is also egged on by others who want to live a spec-ops existence vicariously through CF with bad-a$$ery through a Fran time and shirtless sweat angels on a box floor, but I don't think this does anything for the company or the community as a whole whatsoever. The CF source documents outline and ultimately specify the company's core competencies...if everything ("what if your car gets caught in a flash flood"..."what if your car breaks down and you have to run 26.2 miles to the nearest gas station"...and so forth) can be justified as being "CF," then nothing is CF.

The more true CF stays to the two source documents, the greater validity and usefulness this exercise method has and can help the world as a whole.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:44 AM   #28
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Crossfit is a conditioning program. If you want to learn to fight, you need to go to a place that can teach you how to fight.
Yes, so obviously add martial arts training to help with conditioning and vice versa.

Being able to defend yourself is a good health defense. With all the 300 hype and warrior mentality (which I think is good), you'd think people would have realized that the real life 300 folk were martial artists and not just hardcore exercisers?

Justin
Old 08-04-2010, 07:49 AM   #29
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"Yes, so obviously add martial arts training to help with conditioning and vice versa."

THis, while true, does not mean you get them both at the same place. I wouldn't ask my judo sensei for a training program any more than I would ask my weightlifting coach how to do an uchi mata.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:55 AM   #30
Brent Eno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Or do bodyweight exercises along with the swim rather than barbells.

Katherine
I do this at least once a week. Here is my next WOD:
5 Rounds for time
100 meter freestyle sprint
40 squats
30 flutter kicks
20 pushups
10 strict pullups(there is a bar at the pool)

These kinds of workouts are incredible. They gas you like no other(especially the swim), but you don't overheat. You don't need a pool near a CF box. Just go to a public one once in a while a make up a WOD like this. You will get some looks, but I think we are all used to that.

Par, I was hoping they would do an ocean swim this year, maybe a rescue style workout where you have to swim out, grab a "drowning" dummy, and bring it back to shore. But I agree, swimming would be a great continuation of the "unknown and unknowable" idea. A few guys have posted the news article about the kids that recently drowned. What if you saw that going down? Would you have the skill needed to help them, or would you just have to watch it happen, like their parents did, and be completely helpless?

"I know how to swim but not well. Plus my shoulders hurt thinking about it. If my box did water stuff I would shy away from it."
You should never disregard anything your trainers want you to do just because you are not good at it right now.