CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 05-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #1
David Klotz

Profile:
My journey--Crossfit saved my life.

Hello, everyone. I'm new to the board have been lurking for awhile now so I though it was about time to introduce myself.

My name is David Klotz, I'm 32 years old about 5'10. I started out my journey 2 years ago at about 385 pounds my BMI was somewhere around a morbid 40 percent. I woke up one morning and realized that living the way I was --it wasn't living. My diet consisted of soda, pizza and whatever carbohydrate/processed food I could get my hands on. The simplest of things would be very hard for me, walking up the stairs to my apartment even tying my shoes. I was always tired mostly from diet but also from late night online gaming habit to a popular MMO. I resolved to make a change in my life no matter the cost.

The next day I cleaned my entire cupboard out of food and donated it to the local food pantry and canceled my MMO subscription. I never looked back.

The first month I started just walking around my block. It was slow and very tedious. There was a failed attempt at running but with that much weight I have no idea why I attempted looking back in retrospect. Finally after a few weeks this became increasingly easier and I realized that I needed some interval training so I signed up with my local gym.

I guess it was providence, luck or something but as it would be my old trainer(Billy Milar) was at the very same gym that was 5 minutes away from my house. I knew what had to be done and this was a sign I was on the right path. With Billy's help and strict adherence to my diet we began working on Crossfit basics(which I didn't know at the time we were doing) situps, jumping jacks, planks, wind sprints and the pounds began to come off. I also got into the habit of biking each day for 30 minutes at high intensity--my judgment of success was how drenched in sweat I was at the end of my workout.

Flashforward to April 2010:

I'm now down to 175 pounds with 15 percent body fat percentage. I'm doing full WOD's , Filthy Fifty and just ran my first race (4.2 miles) straight through with no stopping. I'm in the best condition of my life and it's through the Crossfit program that I've achieved this--it's amazing I never would have thought that something as simple as body weight exercises would be so difficult. I'm almost able to do real pullups(doing kipping pullups right now) with my full body weight and I just got a PB on my cleans (105 lbs). Hell I remember when the 45lb bar was hard enough.

All and all I've learned alot about personal sacrifice and will. To anyone out there who reads this testimonial--you can do it if you put your mind to it. Something to realize though--it's all about what your willing to sacrifice to reach your goal. There may be points in your struggle where you have an off day or mess up on your diet . It's okay--dust yourself off and be determined.

Here's some before and after pictures.

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/DSC04084.jpg

New me:http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/a...e/DSC00252.jpg

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/a...DSC05896-1.jpg
Old 05-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
Katie Rice

Profile:
Re: My journey--Crossfit saved my life.

Very inspiring! That is amazing progress.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
Suzanne Campbell

Profile:

Astounding!!! Congratulations to you-you look great! Very inspirational.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
Rene' Hardee

Profile:

WOW
Truly an inspiration! All your hard work has paid off! Proud of you!
Old 05-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

Holy CRAP. That is awesome. It's really good to see someone who actually put in the work and lost the weight in a healthy manner instead of resorting to surgery or something like that. Awesome job, dude.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Simply amazing. Congratulations, David! Keep up the awesome work.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
Fred Hoang-Davis

Profile:

Awesome
Old 05-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
Sean Lind

Profile:

Very well deserved applause! I nearly jumped off my seat when I saw your before and after pictures . Losing 210lbs is no small task! You must have had some tough times, but it's obvious that you pushed through it, well done, my hat is off to you!

Thank you for sharing, this is a great inspirational story.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #9
Andrew Thompson

Profile:

Outstanding! Thank you for sharing this.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:43 AM   #10
Tony Black

Profile:

Fantastic job David!