CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 02-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
Wim Lokate

Profile:
PIT workouts for MMA-ers

I have read somewhere, I dont know were but I think it was on this forum, that there are special WOD's workouts for MMA-ers/martial artists.
Are there such a WOD's (or sites with such workouts), because I like these normal WOD's very much but I think when the WOD has a specific focus on MMA it would be maybay even better.
Right now I still incoperate the normal WOD's into my weekly schedule, that means that sometimes I have to skip a WOD but I am not experiented enough to choose witch one to skip. Sometimes I think a more strengthbase workout can be skipped and sometimes a more endurance WOD.

So special WOD's seems a good idea. Then you know that these WOD's are focused with the idea in mind that martial artist have other things to work on to, as you know they have to work on kicking and punching, technique etc. to and that takes a lott off time.
I am very curious how other martial artist do this (not the proffesional with enough time but the normal martial artist who wants to be in good shape and have a family and a hard working job to).
Old 02-14-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
Brian Chaffee

Profile:
Re: PIT workouts for MMA-ers

Read this from the journal

This talks about a Crossfit variation called CrossPit. Doing a search of the forums brings up more info on it.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
Nick Delgadillo

Profile:

Wim,

I've been thinking about doing something like this. You just have to get a little bit creative with the WODs. Starting out, try to think about the movements in the WOD you want to do, and find something that gives you a similar training effect. For example, round kicks for box jumps. When you get comfortable with the programming, maybe start making up your own. The thing is, as Hackleman points out in the article, you have to make sure you are hitting as hard as you can and that everything is done at high intensity. Something I've done in my classes (as a quick example) is to have everyone give me 3 hard left, right combinations as hard as they can and watch them. Then I tell them that if I see anyone hitting any less hard than their three combos, I knock ten reps off, or add 5 seconds to their score.

There's all kinds of stuff you can do. 100 #4 combinations with kicks for time. Deadlift, straight punch couplet for 4 rounds.

Sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm kind of in a hurry.

You could always add in a few rounds of Bas Rutten MMA workouts at the end, do some focus mitt work, work the heavy bag, or spar.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:16 AM   #4
Wim Lokate

Profile:

Okay, thanks Brian and Nick,
And Nick I think I can understand what you mean by choosing exercises related to MMA.
Thanks again for reacting