CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #11
Matt Rexin
Member Matt Rexin is offline
 
Matt Rexin's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Victoria  BC
Posts: 275
Re: would you all think learning MMA is beneficial for military purposes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
well, maybe...

Pretty bad beat down, so not exactly wfs

http://mmafightdump.com/mixed-matial...s-student.html
What bothers me the most about this video is that the instructor walks away so casually, like he has just thrown a banana peel away and is going back to sit on a bench. No one else seems alarmed at the instructor's behavior though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #12
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: would you all think learning MMA is beneficial for military purposes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron White View Post
Sean, getting snuck by a headbut and then kicked in the face does not give any reaction for self defense. You're screwed from the word go.
I think that was the point. In the absence of rules, the only "technique" that always works is don't be there.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #13
Jason Lopez-Ota
Member Jason Lopez-Ota is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Honolulu  Hawaii
Posts: 1,528
Re: would you all think learning MMA is beneficial for military purposes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
well, maybe...

Pretty bad beat down, so not exactly wfs

http://mmafightdump.com/mixed-matial...s-student.html
The ref is so dumb. The student's little scrap was over. Then he headbutts the guy from the side.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:14 AM   #14
Tony Black
Member Tony Black is offline
 
Tony Black's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Carlisle  England
Posts: 379
Re: would you all think learning MMA is beneficial for military purposes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron White View Post
Sean, getting snuck by a headbut and then kicked in the face does not give any reaction for self defense. You're screwed from the word go.
Never turn your back on a karate ref is the take home lesson there




OP id say sure get stuck in! Either on base on in your MMA club. A few years from now you wont remember what those $100 went on but you will most likely remember those classes.

Infact if your properly interested in the subject matter - you should cultivate the mindset whereby you join up and at least sample ANY related club or style in the area. Even those on first look seem unappealing and BS.....even crap classes teach you something (even if its only what to avoid doing).

Too many peeps have a boxed in outlook of loyalty to a single school or style. Which in the final analysis usually works out as "its the first thing ive tried so it must be the best" therefore ill do it for years.......dont be that guy

Afterall what have you too loose? A few hours weeks or months trying new stuff - theres better ways of wasting time.....

Of course bear in mind that MMA although good is still SPORT FIGHTING and isnt always directly applicable to a street fighting (ie multiple opponents, weapons, clothing, lack of even a karate ref, messy environments etcetc).
__________________
The live drill is violent, it's sudden and chaotic, it's over before you've even got started and you're never prepared for what happens....welcome to fighting - Mick Coup
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #15
JR Saunders
Member JR Saunders is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bunker Hill  WV
Posts: 45
Re: would you all think learning MMA is beneficial for military purposes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Black View Post
Never turn your back on a karate ref is the take home lesson there




OP id say sure get stuck in! Either on base on in your MMA club. A few years from now you wont remember what those $100 went on but you will most likely remember those classes.

Infact if your properly interested in the subject matter - you should cultivate the mindset whereby you join up and at least sample ANY related club or style in the area. Even those on first look seem unappealing and BS.....even crap classes teach you something (even if its only what to avoid doing).

Too many peeps have a boxed in outlook of loyalty to a single school or style. Which in the final analysis usually works out as "its the first thing ive tried so it must be the best" therefore ill do it for years.......dont be that guy

Afterall what have you too loose? A few hours weeks or months trying new stuff - theres better ways of wasting time.....

Of course bear in mind that MMA although good is still SPORT FIGHTING and isnt always directly applicable to a street fighting (ie multiple opponents, weapons, clothing, lack of even a karate ref, messy environments etcetc).
that's a good way to put it
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:09 AM   #16
Tony Black
Member Tony Black is offline
 
Tony Black's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Carlisle  England
Posts: 379
Re: would you all think learning MMA is beneficial for military purposes?

Yup never trust a Karati ref!


Good luck JR tell us how you get on m8!


Oh forgot to say learning how to defend yourself has got to be as fundamental as learning how to train and what to eat!

I call them the five F's, which all adults should learn -

In no particular order.....

* Fitness
* Fighting
* Food
* Finances
* F@*$@g



Always be useful in the military as well m8 - not least for defending yourself from your fellow colleges at times!


Mick Coup would be my goto guy for fighting. One of the few barring say Mick Gould whos actually got "one of those" backgrounds. His teaching ability is the best ive seen.

Heres his forum - all of the stickies are worth repeated reads.

http://selfprotection.lightbb.com/q-...-mick-coup-f5/
__________________
The live drill is violent, it's sudden and chaotic, it's over before you've even got started and you're never prepared for what happens....welcome to fighting - Mick Coup

Last edited by Tony Black : 02-02-2010 at 02:23 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #17
JR Saunders
Member JR Saunders is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bunker Hill  WV
Posts: 45
Re: would you all think learning MMA is beneficial for military purposes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Black View Post
Yup never trust a Karati ref!


Good luck JR tell us how you get on m8!


Oh forgot to say learning how to defend yourself has got to be as fundamental as learning how to train and what to eat!

I call them the five F's, which all adults should learn -

In no particular order.....

* Fitness
* Fighting
* Food
* Finances
* F@*$@g



Always be useful in the military as well m8 - not least for defending yourself from your fellow colleges at times!


Mick Coup would be my goto guy for fighting. One of the few barring say Mick Gould whos actually got "one of those" backgrounds. His teaching ability is the best ive seen.

Heres his forum - all of the stickies are worth repeated reads.

http://selfprotection.lightbb.com/q-...-mick-coup-f5/


haha, I like those five F's you have going there.....and yes i did take your advice and everybody elses...I threw up the 100 bucks and started my classes yesterday...technically I was supposed to sign up for a year, but they gave me a break and let me dedicate to three months worth because of BMT and tech and then going active..so freezing the acct wouldn't make sense..nice people and good group of guys.

I don't have any other experiences to compare it to, but everybody seemed pretty helpful and willing to show me the ins and outs.

yesterday we did kickboxing and after that I had a guy that's been doing it for a while (heavyweight like me) show me some grappling, take downs ect..the result..a sore left ankle lol, from kicking a lil too far away from the bag.

I have a lot to learn but i'm enthused about it all..they all get a kick out of my build/height saying once I learn I could be alright at it all..hopefully so lol

i'll keep you all up to date on how it goes
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #18
Tony Black
Member Tony Black is offline
 
Tony Black's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Carlisle  England
Posts: 379
Re: would you all think learning MMA is beneficial for military purposes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Saunders View Post
haha, I like those five F's you have going there.....and yes i did take your advice and everybody elses...I threw up the 100 bucks and started my classes yesterday...technically I was supposed to sign up for a year, but they gave me a break and let me dedicate to three months worth because of BMT and tech and then going active..so freezing the acct wouldn't make sense..nice people and good group of guys.

I don't have any other experiences to compare it to, but everybody seemed pretty helpful and willing to show me the ins and outs.

yesterday we did kickboxing and after that I had a guy that's been doing it for a while (heavyweight like me) show me some grappling, take downs ect..the result..a sore left ankle lol, from kicking a lil too far away from the bag.

I have a lot to learn but i'm enthused about it all..they all get a kick out of my build/height saying once I learn I could be alright at it all..hopefully so lol

i'll keep you all up to date on how it goes
Awesome!

See how it is? Not so bad once you start!

Sounds like youll be a duck to water.
__________________
The live drill is violent, it's sudden and chaotic, it's over before you've even got started and you're never prepared for what happens....welcome to fighting - Mick Coup
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #19
JR Saunders
Member JR Saunders is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bunker Hill  WV
Posts: 45
Re: would you all think learning MMA is beneficial for military purposes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Black View Post
Awesome!

See how it is? Not so bad once you start!

Sounds like youll be a duck to water.
yea man hopefully so...love it so far : )
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which is more beneficial in your opinion? Bob Guere Workout of the Day 14 10-03-2008 01:41 PM
Holding your breath beneficial? Matt DeMinico Fitness 10 06-05-2007 05:45 PM
Wrestling/competition weight loss beneficial? Vincent Tam Fitness 9 01-18-2007 06:56 PM
Is the Zone diet still (as) beneficial for diabetics? Nick Wilson Nutrition 6 08-24-2005 09:55 PM
Can yogurt be beneficial? Gregory Spilson Nutrition 3 04-04-2005 05:04 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.