CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 01-15-2010, 07:58 PM   #11
Matt Rexin

Profile:
Re: would you all think learning MMA is beneficial for military purposes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
well, maybe...

Pretty bad beat down, so not exactly wfs

http://mmafightdump.com/mixed-matial...s-student.html
What bothers me the most about this video is that the instructor walks away so casually, like he has just thrown a banana peel away and is going back to sit on a bench. No one else seems alarmed at the instructor's behavior though.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #12
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron White View Post
Sean, getting snuck by a headbut and then kicked in the face does not give any reaction for self defense. You're screwed from the word go.
I think that was the point. In the absence of rules, the only "technique" that always works is don't be there.

Katherine
Old 01-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #13
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
well, maybe...

Pretty bad beat down, so not exactly wfs

http://mmafightdump.com/mixed-matial...s-student.html
The ref is so dumb. The student's little scrap was over. Then he headbutts the guy from the side.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:14 AM   #14
Tony Black

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron White View Post
Sean, getting snuck by a headbut and then kicked in the face does not give any reaction for self defense. You're screwed from the word go.
Never turn your back on a karate ref is the take home lesson there

OP id say sure get stuck in! Either on base on in your MMA club. A few years from now you wont remember what those $100 went on but you will most likely remember those classes.

Infact if your properly interested in the subject matter - you should cultivate the mindset whereby you join up and at least sample ANY related club or style in the area. Even those on first look seem unappealing and BS.....even crap classes teach you something (even if its only what to avoid doing).

Too many peeps have a boxed in outlook of loyalty to a single school or style. Which in the final analysis usually works out as "its the first thing ive tried so it must be the best" therefore ill do it for years.......dont be that guy

Afterall what have you too loose? A few hours weeks or months trying new stuff - theres better ways of wasting time.....

Of course bear in mind that MMA although good is still SPORT FIGHTING and isnt always directly applicable to a street fighting (ie multiple opponents, weapons, clothing, lack of even a karate ref, messy environments etcetc).
Old 02-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #15
JR Saunders

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Black View Post
Never turn your back on a karate ref is the take home lesson there

OP id say sure get stuck in! Either on base on in your MMA club. A few years from now you wont remember what those $100 went on but you will most likely remember those classes.

Infact if your properly interested in the subject matter - you should cultivate the mindset whereby you join up and at least sample ANY related club or style in the area. Even those on first look seem unappealing and BS.....even crap classes teach you something (even if its only what to avoid doing).

Too many peeps have a boxed in outlook of loyalty to a single school or style. Which in the final analysis usually works out as "its the first thing ive tried so it must be the best" therefore ill do it for years.......dont be that guy

Afterall what have you too loose? A few hours weeks or months trying new stuff - theres better ways of wasting time.....

Of course bear in mind that MMA although good is still SPORT FIGHTING and isnt always directly applicable to a street fighting (ie multiple opponents, weapons, clothing, lack of even a karate ref, messy environments etcetc).
that's a good way to put it
Old 02-02-2010, 02:09 AM   #16
Tony Black

Profile:

Yup never trust a Karati ref!

Good luck JR tell us how you get on m8!

Oh forgot to say learning how to defend yourself has got to be as fundamental as learning how to train and what to eat!

I call them the five F's, which all adults should learn -

In no particular order.....

* Fitness
* Fighting
* Food
* Finances
* F@*$@g

Always be useful in the military as well m8 - not least for defending yourself from your fellow colleges at times!

Mick Coup would be my goto guy for fighting. One of the few barring say Mick Gould whos actually got "one of those" backgrounds. His teaching ability is the best ive seen.

Heres his forum - all of the stickies are worth repeated reads.

http://selfprotection.lightbb.com/q-...-mick-coup-f5/

Last edited by Tony Black : 02-02-2010 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #17
JR Saunders

Profile:

Quote:
Yup never trust a Karati ref!

Good luck JR tell us how you get on m8!

Oh forgot to say learning how to defend yourself has got to be as fundamental as learning how to train and what to eat!

I call them the five F's, which all adults should learn -

In no particular order.....

* Fitness
* Fighting
* Food
* Finances
* F@*$@g

Always be useful in the military as well m8 - not least for defending yourself from your fellow colleges at times!

Mick Coup would be my goto guy for fighting. One of the few barring say Mick Gould whos actually got "one of those" backgrounds. His teaching ability is the best ive seen.

Heres his forum - all of the stickies are worth repeated reads.

http://selfprotection.lightbb.com/q-...-mick-coup-f5/

haha, I like those five F's you have going there.....and yes i did take your advice and everybody elses...I threw up the 100 bucks and started my classes yesterday...technically I was supposed to sign up for a year, but they gave me a break and let me dedicate to three months worth because of BMT and tech and then going active..so freezing the acct wouldn't make sense..nice people and good group of guys.

I don't have any other experiences to compare it to, but everybody seemed pretty helpful and willing to show me the ins and outs.

yesterday we did kickboxing and after that I had a guy that's been doing it for a while (heavyweight like me) show me some grappling, take downs ect..the result..a sore left ankle lol, from kicking a lil too far away from the bag.

I have a lot to learn but i'm enthused about it all..they all get a kick out of my build/height saying once I learn I could be alright at it all..hopefully so lol

i'll keep you all up to date on how it goes
Old 02-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #18
Tony Black

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Saunders View Post
haha, I like those five F's you have going there.....and yes i did take your advice and everybody elses...I threw up the 100 bucks and started my classes yesterday...technically I was supposed to sign up for a year, but they gave me a break and let me dedicate to three months worth because of BMT and tech and then going active..so freezing the acct wouldn't make sense..nice people and good group of guys.

I don't have any other experiences to compare it to, but everybody seemed pretty helpful and willing to show me the ins and outs.

yesterday we did kickboxing and after that I had a guy that's been doing it for a while (heavyweight like me) show me some grappling, take downs ect..the result..a sore left ankle lol, from kicking a lil too far away from the bag.

I have a lot to learn but i'm enthused about it all..they all get a kick out of my build/height saying once I learn I could be alright at it all..hopefully so lol

i'll keep you all up to date on how it goes
Awesome!

See how it is? Not so bad once you start!

Sounds like youll be a duck to water.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #19
JR Saunders

Profile:

Quote:
Awesome!

See how it is? Not so bad once you start!

Sounds like youll be a duck to water.
yea man hopefully so...love it so far : )