CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #11
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:
Re: Video Tour of Freund Gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Galo View Post
I've moved all my equipment around in my gym about 4-5 times now trying to maximize space as well as aesthetic appearance. I guess this is the male equivalent (stereotypically of course) of redecorating a home.

I kinda wanted two platforms:
1) one smaller 4'x6' one just in front of the rack for slower lifts (squats, presses, deads)
2) one larger 8'x8' or 6'x8' near the center for O-lifts
Hi again. I "reward" myself after every hour or so of grading (260 MBA final exams, each 18 pages long) and allow a few minutes on the computer . Grading is the WORST part of being a professor!!!!

I like your idea of having two platforms. For the slow lifts, I would just go with entirely a rubber surface. The wood CAN get a little slippery for a grinding squat or deadlift. Also, depending on how much you push with your legs to arch your back in the bench (ala Dave Tate), the bench can slide a bit on the wood. I will steal your idea when I build that other gym.

For the O-lifts, I am a big fan of the 8'x8' platform. You never feel crowded and can stand on the platform to coach someone else in a lift. I do wish that I had some marks on the platform, like they use and discuss in the WCC videos on the Clean and the Snatch. I forgot what they called it (someone's "cross") but it would let you always get in the same position before a lift and check if your jump was in the right place.

BTW, I love your home gym. Totally cool to have a gym for a living room!!!! .

Regards,
brittf
Old 12-11-2009, 03:31 PM   #12
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Salas View Post
Yes, I would agree, the equipment in your space warrants at least a 1200 sq. foot area. Great idea about taller ceilings, especially if you want to add rings and a rope climb or something.

Do you do anything competitively? OL or track and field? Always good to have as much motivation to get your butt in the gym as possible

Also do you have work out partner(s) or others who use your gym?
Exactly. I have rings and a tall rack, but even with 12' ceilings you can't really do a nice muscle-up and you certainly can't climb a rope.

I will probably go with the "outbuilding" idea on the ranch. I recently bought a big John Deere tractor (I have always wanted one and now I even have an excuse) for use on the ranch, and I need a place to store it and the implements. I have designed an outbuilding that would be split into two parts: a nice big work area and tractor area in one half, and a 1200 square foot "gym" in the other half. I will play around with this a bit and see what strikes my fancy. The cool thing is that I will make an outdoor training area (with a rubberized sprinting area, a sled push/pull area, a strength-training area, and a "jungle gym" area) right outside the building.

Right now I am not doing anything competitively. About 20 years ago, I was a pretty good cyclist (reached Category II status), but I am much more focused on strength-training now. I am guilty of the standard newb fear of "looking stupid" at a meet. I am close to, but haven't yet reached, my 200/300/400/500 slow-lift goals (press/bench/squat/deadlift). When I reach those goals (realistically, in the next 6 months unless I hurt myself), I want to enter a raw, tested, masters powerlifting competition. I am decent at the Clean & Jerk (260 lbs) but I absolutely SUCK at the snatch because of shoulder flexibility problems (I just can't get my arms behind my ears with a bar overhead) so I have to do a split snatch.

The sad thing is that I mostly train alone in that huge gym. I want my kids to train with me (13 year old boy and 15 year old girl) and I think they have good genes (from their mom, who was a GREAT 800 meter runner in the early 80's - high school, college, and NCAA Hall of Fame and STILL holds the University of Iowa 800 meter record even after almost 30 years!) but they really don't. My daughter is pretty good at basketball but doesn't strength-train much with me. My son would rather play video games . I used to be able to get them to go to the track with me, but that has slowed down...

Oh well, I will get it all figured out...

Regards,
brittf
Old 12-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #13
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Degenaro View Post
That brought a tear to my eye....so beautiful.

I have pretty much accepted the fact that I have no future as a video director or professional narrator!!!!

I think I almost got sick to my stomach from watching the videos rotate from horizontal to vertical and moving too fast all over the place...

Regards,
brittf
Old 12-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #14
Mark Cheney

Profile:

What, dare I ask, did you have to buy your wife to pull this off?
Old 12-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #15
Christian Salas

Profile:

back rubs for life, on demand, I'll bet. Plus a Ferrari.

And a pony.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #16
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cheney View Post

What, dare I ask, did you have to buy your wife to pull this off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Salas View Post
back rubs for life, on demand, I'll bet. Plus a Ferrari.

And a pony.
I will never tell!!!!!
Old 12-11-2009, 10:53 PM   #17
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:

And here I was all proud of my single car garage with my new Wright colored bumper set, two KBs, rings, plyoboxes, homemade sandbags and rusted craigslist bar and plates You've put my tiny gym to shame. My husband thinks that the set up I have now is overkill. He's always asking what more could I possibly need? He has no idea. I fantasize about my dream gym. He fantasizes about his game room-man cave. I remember when we were house hunting a few years ago, we came across a house that had a detached second garage. My husband said, "Oh, I could make that my game room." I told him, "Not if I build my gym in there first!" We've decided that if we're ever millionaires, to be fair we would have to build two outbuildings on our dream property for both a man cave and my gym -- just to be fair.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:18 AM   #18
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Bigongiari View Post
And here I was all proud of my single car garage with my new Wright colored bumper set, two KBs, rings, plyoboxes, homemade sandbags and rusted craigslist bar and plates You've put my tiny gym to shame. My husband thinks that the set up I have now is overkill. He's always asking what more could I possibly need? He has no idea. I fantasize about my dream gym. He fantasizes about his game room-man cave. I remember when we were house hunting a few years ago, we came across a house that had a detached second garage. My husband said, "Oh, I could make that my game room." I told him, "Not if I build my gym in there first!" We've decided that if we're ever millionaires, to be fair we would have to build two outbuildings on our dream property for both a man cave and my gym -- just to be fair.
Hi Eva,

I will bet that you can get every bit as good a workout in your nice garage gym as I can in my silly overkill gym. If I were to do it all again, I would probably just get the rack, platform, GHR, Eleiko bars/plates, Werk San bars/plates, Rogue bars/plates for outdoors, squat stand for outdoors, and the dual cable columns. All the rest mostly just takes up space .

You aren't that far away. If you and your husband want to visit, please let me know...

All the best and keep up the great fitness progress...

Regards,
brittf
Old 12-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #19
Thijs Moonen

Profile:

That's a dream!

You can lift some serious dumbbells there... and some kettlebells... oh yeah, and some bumpers... you can jump high, you can row 'on water' ...

djeezus that really is a nice playground ...

congrats on the customized stuff and the family logo, I love that idea !!!
(too bad the family isn't really using it thou )
(I can't even get my dad on my C2, the world is upside down )
Old 12-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #20
Brett VanVeller

Profile:

Amazing gym! I am jealous of all of your med balls and kettle bells, but most of all your rack with lifting platform is exceptional.

You should start Crossfit Freund.

Are you going to sell the leg press? My wife would kill me if I hardly used a 1 tonne machine that sat in the middle of a room.

Finally, the youtube link for your rack tour is not correct (it goes to the gym overview)