CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 08-23-2009, 07:03 AM   #1
Adam Bennett

Profile:
Benno's (Mis)Adventures in the Land of CrossFit...

My name is Adam Bennett, I am a 24yo male from Adelaide in Australia, married with two beautiful kids. Was put on to CF while away on an Army Reserve training course a couple of months ago and have been hooked ever since.
Unfortunately my workouts have been a bit on and off up until now, but I am trying to remedy this with better time management and a bit of the old "early to bed, early to rise".

I'm 6', 72kg (about 160lbs) and while being pretty lean and eating quite well, by my standards (and certainly those of CF!) i am not "fit".

The last basic fitness assessment (BFA) i did for Army i think i got about:
45 pushups
75 situps (feet anchored, wrists to knees), and
11:04 for the 2.4km run (10:28 PR last December)
*These numbers are pretty poor and only just over the req'd level for each.

My goals and what i hope to achieve with CrossFit are:

1. general increase in all areas of fitness
2. increase in lean muscle mass up to about 85-90kg (185-200lb)
3. be able to perform all WODs as Rx'd
4. get BFA numbers to at least 100 pushups, 100 situps and a sub-8:30 2.4km run
5. be one of, if not THE fittest guy in my unit overall
6. become proficient in all CF exercises
7. get as many family/friends involved as poss.
8. attend a level 1 cert
9. open my own box......?

So there you have it, all laid out in black and white for everyone to see - there's no turning back now!

Any comments or tips or whatever would be greatly appreciated, and i will add some of my past workout results in the next few days. If all goes according to plan i hope to do "Karen" tomorrow sometime, so i'll put up all the gory details of that, too!

Cheers.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Adam Bennett

Profile:
Re: Benno's (Mis)Adventures in the Land of CrossFit...

Managed to get in a workout today, although it ended up being a little shorter than i would have liked.

Warmup:
2 rounds of:
Run 400m
Max rep pullups (subbed rows on a waist high bar, body almost horiz.)

*I know it's not much of a warmup but i was pressed for time and the run was crappy - i suck at running! for now, that is....!

Workout:

"Karen"
150 wallball shots for time (shortened to 110 shots and only have a 9lb ball)

110 shots in: 14:29

I know this is pretty poor, but i'm not too unhappy - this is the first time i've hit Karen and it was good to just get familiar with this WOD. It also gave me a bit more confidence in my squat and a bit of a taste of the Thruster. Will definitely be better prepared next time and knock out the whole 150!
This is also the first time i've done much of a warmup for a WOD - now just need to work on the cool down afterwards.

Tomorrow should be good, if all goes to plan i will be picking up the plywood for my plyo box and a big sheet of whiteboard for results. Won't be able to assemble the box till next week, but it's progress! Also, if i get the green light from the boss/wife i can order my Elite Rings - sweet! muscle ups, here i come...

As far as workouts go, the current WOD is Cindy (i'm nowhere near Mary yet!), so i'm tossing up whether to do that or something else.

Happy CrossFitting, people!
Old 08-24-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
Adam Bennett

Profile:

Last Wednesday (19/08/09) i attempted "Ryan" and let me just say that i had my skinny white arse handed to me! I cannot even imagine doing this as rx'd at this point in time -

"Ryan"

5 rounds for time of:
7 muscle-ups
21 burpees

Had to scale the mu's and could only do 2 pu's and 2 dips per muscle up, done as a row on a waist height bar and bench dips respectively. After 1st round had to scale burpees to 11 per round, otherwise i would have totally wiped myself out! So after all that, my time was:

21:21

Not great, but definitely something to build on next time it comes around. I certainly have a healthy dose of respect for this one, it's a beast - as befits a Hero WOD. RIP Ryan.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
Stephen Jackson

Profile:

At your starting height and weight I think you will be very happy with the results if you keep at this program. Your numbers will certainly rise on the pushup department. Good Luck!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:00 AM   #5
Adam Bennett

Profile:

Cheers mate,

really appreciate the encouragement! My upper-body strength has never really been anything to write home about, so i'm definitely excited to see what CF can do for me. Like you said, from where i'm starting it shouldn't take long to see improvement.
Will be doing Cindy tomorrow morning so i will be able to compare against when i did it a month or so ago - think i got 9 rounds...

anyway, take it easy Stephen!
Old 09-03-2009, 06:37 AM   #6
Adam Bennett

Profile:

Evening all, how are we?

Been a week or so since my last post and only two workouts since then
Am trying my best to get more in but my timing is still a work in progress...

Last Friday (28/08/09) i did Cindy again and got a PR, if only just! First time i did it i got 9 rounds, this time made it to 10. Still a long way to go, but any improvement's good, right?

"Cindy"

As many rounds as poss in 20min of:
5 pullups*
10 pushups
15 squats
*subbed rows on a waist height bar

Completed: 10 rounds (previous best 9 rds, 07/2009)

Next time i think i will try subbing jumping pullups instead of the rows, might step up the intensity a bit. Felt a bit stronger in the pushups this time and same with squats - go for 12 rounds next time!

Tuesday night did a WOD i found in the Jan 09 archives (22/01/09). As rx'd the workout is:

22/01/09
5 rounds:
45lb barbell OH walking lunges, 50ft
21 burpees

I modified it to

01/09/09
4 rounds:
8kg (17.5lb) dumbell OH walking lunges, 50ft
21 burpees

Time: 21:00

I think this was not a bad mod, def still a good workout - could have gone the 5 rounds but had to get ready to go out. The burpees were absolutely killing me...

This week also built my first plyo box, came out really nice and super solid. Big thanks to my bro-in-law, Gaz and Les, my father-in-law - cheers for the help! box is definitely solid as f**k, nothing is breaking that bad boy any time soon All that's missing is the rubber on top - fix that later
Old 09-03-2009, 06:56 AM   #7
Adam Bennett

Profile:

Tomorrow morning i plan on doing Angie again. Have done it once before but unfortunately i misplaced my recorded time!

Can't wait to finish cleaning out my shed and get some more equipment so i'm not so restricted by the workouts i can do and when i can do them. Should be ordering my elite rings in the next couple of days - fingers crossed...!

Also, got another BFA(basic fitness assessment) for Army reserve coming up the start of next month - am really hoping to see some improvement over my last results.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:17 AM   #8
Adam Bennett

Profile:

05/09/09

"Angie"

for time:
100 pullups (subbed jumping pu's)
100 pushups
100 situps (w/ abmat)
100 squats

Time: 27:43

no workouts since then, sadly (my wife has been off her feet since Tues so spare time has been tight). On the plus, though, have been cleaning out the cluttered shed at long last. My very own garage gym is a few steps closer...!
Old 09-16-2009, 07:07 AM   #9
Adam Bennett

Profile:

13/09/09

"Karen"

for time:
150 wallball shots (9lb ball)

Time: 14:55

(warmup - skipping practice, approx 10min)

Felt pretty good doing Karen this time, was 2nd time i've done it and improved a fair bit. Had to cut my first attempt short to 110 shots (had to get ready for work) and got 14:29, this time doing the full 150 i was only slightly slower at 14:55!
I tell you what, though - my quads are still a little bit sore from this, 3 days later! Hope to get a workout in tomorrow inbetween dropping kids off to daycare and going to work - wish me luck!
Old 09-19-2009, 05:27 AM   #10
Adam Bennett

Profile:

Nothing further to report as yet

Wait out.