CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
Evan Wharton

Profile:
New to FITNESS...!

...Okay maybe not 100% new, but definitely someone who's been doing the "conventional" workout routines for a long...long.......long time. I have one important question I want to ask to those in the the know:

If you could start all over again, from square one, what type of workout routine AND diet would you try to follow?

Straight to Crossfit WODs?

I see a lot of recommendations to doing starting strength first, with maybe some crossfit WODs thrown in the mix. Also came across a neat pullup program that I think would benefit me (I'm extremely terrible at pullups):

http://pull-ups-training.com/pg_routine.php

Any personal experiences/stories/recommendations?

Some background info on myself if you want to read; not necessary though.

27/m/5'9/200

Been doing mainly isolated "lifting" my entire life. Had a bad spell for approx the past 2 years, so I stopped hitting the gym almost entirely until recently. As a result, lost a lot of strength while putting on a lot of weight (was up to 225 late of last year).

Recently (a little over a month ago) switched to a paleo diet, removing processed carbs for the most part. Currently on the last 4 weeks of p90x (yes, yes...I know, but it at least motivated me to get off my *** and workout consistently everyday), so looking for a good workout program to improve my health/life. Challenge is key.

Also, would I still be able to surf 2-4 times/week while on crossfit? The WODs seem demanding, even if short in duration.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
Albert Chang

Profile:
Re: New to FITNESS...!

Welcome! Well... I believe that answer's going to be different for everyone, depending on their history (how much you fit into crossfit's definition of fit, how comfortable you are with olympic lifts, et cetera).

For fitness, I jumped into crossfit right away. I wish I had started with starting strength, practical programming, or powerlifting to focus on form. I was alread questioning the body building method of working out and wanted to increase intensity (I saw there was a conflict of what people were claiming to be the definition of fit). Didn't know what movements to use though, so I was exploring a bit. Found crossfit, and it was everything I wanted, except I didn't have to form the program on my own. So that was the reason I jumped right in. I thought the movements were simpler than they were, and thought I could go off the videos alone.

Diet was the same thing. I decided to eat a meal every three hours having certain requirements for protein, carbohydrates, and fats. It came to about 45% protein, 45% carbs, and 10% fat for me. Don't remember how I figured out those percentages, but it worked really well for me. Also, not quite sure how I figured it out, but I calculated how much of each I needed per meal. I made sure I was eating real food too. I didn't know it at the time, but it's something similar to the paleo + zone diet. I just got a zone book, and am also looking into paleo to better hone my diet. Would I change anything with this? We'll see, but I don't regret the dietary choices I made.

The pull-ups-training website looks strikingly similar to the 100 hundred push up challenge and the 200 sit up challenge. I stopped those at the last week. I had more gains doing 3 second push ups (each push up lasts 3 seconds, add 1 every week) and triangle push ups (form a triangle at your sternum) than that program.

For pull-ups, greatest gains came from jumping right into crossfit. It wasn't something I worked too hard on, so I think I could only do sets of 7 when I started. Second WOD I did involved, I believe, 60 or so pull ups. I broke them into sets of 7 or 8 (really pushed myself) to complete it. I also did the weighted pull-ups as RX'd. Before, I didn't know what I had to do to increase the amount of pull-ups I could do, and thought I could increase by 1 every week or so like the push-ups. Didn't work out quite as well. So greatest gains definitely came from simply doing crossfit. However, I believe it's recommended that you use bands or gravitron machine if you need the help.

As for surfing, my advice would be to scale the WODs, so that if you'd still be able to surf. By all means, don't make it easy, but if you can't continue doing what you like, I don't see a whole lot of benefit. My own personal advice, I haven't been crossfitting for long.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:09 AM   #3
Mark G Griffin

Profile:

Evan, Go to crossfit Oahu and do the elements class. That way you can get some good coaching right off the bat and get an idea about how much your strength is off. If you have to scale down a lot in weight then maybe do SS. Personnally if i did it over I would have gone to the affilate right away instead of doing SS for three months.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:26 AM   #4
Dave Hancock

Profile:

re: pullups - http://twentypullups.com/ wfs

The above site is very similar to your link, except it has a -2 and -1 week for those that can't do a pullup. It explains negative pullups, which can be very helpful for increasing if you are weak in pullups now.

If I could go back, I would train in the Olympic lifts and work towards competing in the Olympics. In this fantasy I assume we get to keep all our current knowledge and experiences gained from our mistakes.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
Evan Wharton

Profile:

Thanks for the advice guys.

Dave - thanks! that program seems easier, or more natural, to follow. And I actually wasn't sure about doing pull-ups to failure 5days/week on that first program I linked...

Mark - Is the elements the same as the free saturday class? I came across crossfit oahu before, but I'll admit the high prices are a huge deterrent.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Mark G Griffin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Wharton View Post
Mark - Is the elements the same as the free saturday class? I came across crossfit oahu before, but I'll admit the high prices are a huge deterrent.
No the elements class is 6 sessions of one on one coaching required before joining the regular classes. For me the $300 was worth it. The olympic lifts require some coaching to really learn plus the coaching I received on the kipping pull ups and the muscle ups helped me a lot. Plus doing modified wods based around what you learned in each session in the affiliate really helps you get a feel for what level the intensity really needs to be at.

I personally feel that people do themselves a disservice if they don't try the kool-aid from the source, at least at the beginning.