CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
Shawn Michels

Profile:
GH Sit-ups, Worth The Risk?

So every time I see these come up in a WOD EVERYONE warns about the potential risk with doing this exercise.

Given the risk...I guess my question is... what's the point? Why do GH Sit-ups in the first place? Are GH sit ups so much more effective than regular sit-ups that it offsets the risk involved?

I am not condemning GH Sit-ups... just curios.

Last edited by Shawn Michels : 04-06-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: fixed error
Old 04-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
Warren C Ellison

Profile:
Re: GH Sit-ups, Worth The Risk?

I'm wondering the same thing. Also, do we really need to do situps since we do so many exercises that force us to tighten our abs and core? Such as deadlift, running, power clean, thrusters, wall balls, etc. Too me it's like doing curls. I don't do curls any more because they get bigger and stronger from all the pullups and pushups etc.

I'm not looking to be attacked...just curious.

Last edited by Warren C Ellison : 04-06-2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: me no spell good
Old 04-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
Marcel Zwinger

Profile:

The point is to condition yourself so hight that the dangerous exercise is not dangerous anymore.
What kind of resistance do you think this adds to your body?

of course, I could be wrong, just food for the thoughts.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #4
Wade Smith

Profile:

I have personally had zero problems with GHD situps, even with the hardcore use like "Michael" (3 rounds of 50 GHD situps). I definitely slow down around number 50 or so and have to do sets of tens or fifteens, but never had any physical problem at all. My $.02.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Michels View Post
So every time I see these come up in a WOD EVERYONE warns about the potential risk with doing this exercise.

Given the risk...I guess my question is... what's the point? Why do GH Sit-ups in the first place? Are GH sit ups so much more effective than regular sit-ups that it offsets the risk involved?

The large ROM over which you can build strength/endurance is certainly beneficial.

This is the same exact thing with people going too low in bench presses, dips, BTN pullups, upright rows, etc. All of these can be contraindicated based on the structure of different bodies to where they can potentially cause injury.

If you feel this is not worth the risk, then substitute.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:46 PM   #6
Bert Brams

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Michels View Post

Just a question: why do people think GH Sit-ups are so dangerous?
Because of the risk for hyperextension?

Personally I would find a high-skill exercise repetition clean&jerks much more dangerous(although I love them).
100m sprint: 10:97 - BW:165 My now or never log

Last edited by Bert Brams : 04-06-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:07 AM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

because of the danger of rhabdo, Bert.

Name a workout where you do 150 C&J's.

Wade your numbers are pretty good and look at how long you've been doing something along the lines of CF. For reference, Wade is definitely a L3+ CF'er with a lot of power in the metabolic zone like rowing and KBing ( I think ). Some good big lifts and power generation.

Throw 150 GHD situps and glute ham hip extensions to somebody who is strong and can run but isn't used to that much load and work is damn dangerous even if they can run a mile in 6m and do 20 PU or have good lift numbers ( though those movements are BWx a zillion reps ). Rhabdo is still happening at affiliates though it sounds like it occuring more frequently when CF'ers are on their own.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #8
Michael Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Rhabdo, and I've heard of some injuries because people who are good at doing abmat situps get a little overzealous right out of the gate on the GHD Situps. I can see how some back injuries could happen if you're not used to the movement.

I've never had a problem with them, but I eased into them by starting with a few reps in my warmup.

As for the benefits, it's speculated that GHD situps elicit a neuroendocrine response, whereas the abmat situp does not. This is the reason why you're supposed to put the hip in full extension.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #9
Bert Brams

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post

Name a workout where you do 150 C&J's.

Wade your numbers are pretty good and look at how long you've been doing something along the lines of CF. For reference, Wade is definitely a L3+ CF'er with a lot of power in the metabolic zone like rowing and KBing ( I think ). Some good big lifts and power generation.

Throw 150 GHD situps and glute ham hip extensions to somebody who is strong and can run but isn't used to that much load and work is damn dangerous even if they can run a mile in 6m and do 20 PU or have good lift numbers ( though those movements are BWx a zillion reps ). Rhabdo is still happening at affiliates though it sounds like it occuring more frequently when CF'ers are on their own.
Hmm, thanks Blair. It just sounded odd to me, with all the Girls and WOD's that are much harder metabolically, in my opinion.

Time to program that WOD this week and find out.
100m sprint: 10:97 - BW:165 My now or never log
Old 04-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Bert-
It's not so much of a metabolic thing like with the girls or heroes, but just a matter of doing a large number of a pretty explosive movement that forces a muscle group to work in a very extended range of motion. I think they are worth doing despite the risk--I can't remember where I saw it but there's some benefit in the way they force the hip flexors, abs, and even hamstrings and lower back to some extent to work in harmony. If you increase your capacity for GHD situps, you'll greatly increase your capacity for Abmat situps or knees to elbows, but the opposite is definitely not true. Here's a copy and paste from what I posted on Chad Perry's rhabdo thread on the injuries page--probably good advice for anyone:

Any workout that includes high-rep GHD situps should be prefaced with a Rhabdo warning on the mainpage comments or at least in the WOD forum on here...no matter how many crunches or knees-to-elbows you've done, if you've never done GHD situps, you should limit yourself to about 10 of them for your first few WODs and do the remainder on the abmat. Add GHD work to your buy-in or cash-out every day til you build up a decent tolerance to them...THEN consider doing a workout that includes a lot of them. You'll still probably have a hard time rolling out of bed the next morning, but will hopefully avoid Rhabdo.