CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 01-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
David Jamison

Profile:
David J's CrossFit Log

Ok so here's my first entry into my log. Gonna do the best I can to track my workouts, and also post videos of my workouts when I can for critique by all you knowledgeable folks! I started CrossFit exactly 2 weeks ago, but will post my workouts as of today.

And so here it goes...

HPC 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 rep

65#-65#-75#-85#-95#-105#-115#(F)-115#(F)

probably should have stepped down the last rep so I could complete the seventh rep, but oh well
Old 01-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
David Jamison

Profile:
Re: David J's CrossFit Log

I suppose I should write a tad bit about myself.

I'm a 23 y/o grad student living in Philadelphia. I was introduced to CrossFit by my former roommates in Baltimore. I didn't start the workouts then because I was just coming off shoulder surgery at the time. Now that my shoulder is back to decent strength and flexibility, I figured I'd finally start my CrossFit journey.

Goals: Just to be overall more fit. Have more strength, flexibility, energy, and better overall health. Pretty simple :-)

I am 5'9" and weigh about 185 (last time I checked my weight was a month or so ago). Workout/rec sports activity before CrossFit was moderate.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
David Jamison

Profile:

Quick question regarding charting progress...

in terms of tracking, what are good guages to use? I know pure weight is deceiving, so should I use BMI or something like that? Suggestions are much appreciated!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
Emily Mattes

Profile:

IT'S DAVID J!

I'm sorry your team lost again.

I would use a tape measure and approximate body fat percentage. If the right things are growing (thighs, arms, shoulders) and the right things are shrinking (waist), then you are in good shape.

You can use online body fat calculators like this one to calculate your body fat percentage by taking tape measurements. Keep in mind that the actual number is probably a terrible estimate--it's hard to measure real body fat percentage without something like a DEXA scan or Bod Pod, even that bioimpedence stuff you find on scales and at gyms can be extremely off (like 7% off). However, changes in body fat percentage will be accurately reflected. Think of it as precise but not accurate.

BMI is no good because it doesn't differentiate between muscle mass and fat mass.

The best tracker is the mirror and your performance on workouts, though.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
John Filippini

Profile:

Seconding the BMI being garbage. I will pretty much always be overweight according to the BMI unless I pull a Ghandi.

And yeah, just keep working on your performance, and the BMI/BF%/mirror will take care of itself.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
David Jamison

Profile:

Hey thanks Emily & John!

... and yes I'm still bitter about my team losing. The dozen or so texts/calls from people laughing at my misfortune didn't help. Stupid friends...
Old 01-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
David Jamison

Profile:

Workout 2009.01.19

Today was a rest day. But since I missed 4 days last week (stupid influenza) I skippied my rest day and did something light. I swam 3 (yes, 3) laps in the pool. Now I know you're thinking "wow, 3 laps... that's sad." Well, I wouldn't be able to argue with you... I am a terrible swimmer! Workout was still good though, felt great afterwards
------------

New weight: 179 lbs
Body Fat %: 19.87 (prob inaccurate as Emily said, but I'll note changes in future readings)
Old 01-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
John Filippini

Profile:

It's ok the Ravens lost too, meaning that I'm back to not caring about football (other than the inevitable superbowl party that I'll go to just because). I wanted both those teams to win, for obvious reasons.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
David Jamison

Profile:

Argh! My gym sucks. That's what I should have called my thread. One, CrossFit is an "equipment intensive" program, as I like to call it. Meaning that for any given WOD, you need like 2-5 stations set aside for your use as you go back and forth between them. My gym not only does not have all the necessary equipment, but its frequently in use when I'm there and thus a timed WOD is next to impossible to complete as Rx'd. Two, I need a workout partner. Timing myself and analyzing my own form simply is not going to get me very far. Anyone out there...

Anywho, on to today's WOD.

Mr Joshua (puppy version, modified)

200m on stationary bike (my gym has no indoor track, and all treadmills were in use... I told you it sucked)
10 sit ups
10 65# deadlifts
Time: 12:22

I have no idea how good or bad this time is. I felt comfortable with the deadlifts though, so I consider today a success.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
David Jamison

Profile:

Another note...

Overhead squats... how the heck do you do these properly?? Everytime I try one during the CF warmup (using a meager 9-lb bar) my arms always rotate forward as I'm doing the squatting motion. Is it lack of flexibility in keeping the bar overhead (I admittedly have limited flexibility in my shoulders), or lack of strength (I surely hope not, it was a 9-lb bar!), or something else different entirely??

I will try and record myself doing it tomorrow and post. Then hopefully can provide insight.