CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-13-2006, 08:46 PM   #1
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Let me start out by saying that I love Crossfit and I have personally and, due to my log, factually seen my performance across the board go up. I just knocked nearly 9 minutes off of my Michael time today, I can lift more weight than I ever have before etc etc etc. My weight has also come off like a jacket. I have lost nearly 35 pounds since starting Crossfit (6-2, 30yo, was 216 now 182) and I have gone down from a 38 pant size to a 34.

Now, you would think that this is all good, in fact great. However, when I run into some people who haven't seen me in a few months, they say I look anorexic or sickly, gaunt, etc(they mostly say that out of jest just because of the large difference). Of course, most of the comments I get are positive but its the "sarcastic" comments that I am a bit concerned with.

I think that I look pretty good. Ill admit that I have become quite slender, more so than I expected. I expected to gain more muscle mass in addition to losing fat and thus not losing so much in terms of overall size. I dont mind being at this weight, however. Like I wrote before, my performance levels are up across the board. There is not one thing that I was better before I started Crossfit.

Am I right in assuming that as long as my performance levels are going up and my health remains good I should ignore the negative vibe?

I would like to gain some more lean muscle mass ala a Spartan from 300, but I figure it will all come in time as I progress in Crossfit.

Thanks for your time.

Nick
Old 12-13-2006, 08:59 PM   #2
Mark Miller

Profile:
Same boat Nick. 6-01 started at 215 down to 202 most days. Friends ask if I have lost weight and most think I have "cut up". They all scratch their heads because everytime they see me I am eating. Benefits I guess?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:27 PM   #3
Jordan Dotson

Profile:
Just pull up your shirt, strike an abs pose & say "Jealous? Yeah I would be too"...

Old 12-13-2006, 10:55 PM   #4
Jeff Dale

Profile:
Yep, sounds like you're doing fine. It's really hard, if not impossible, to gain muscle mass while shedding fat. As long as your energy level is sustaining, you can keep cutting the fat until you're as slim as you want to be, then start changing your diet until you stop losing weight and you'll have an easier time gaining muscle along with a small amount of fat. Good Job!

I have been at it for a year now. I went from 225 to 170! Yes, I was carrying a lot of fat that I allowed to pile on. I was in good shape before so it came of quickly. I no longer want to lose weight so I'm adding fat to my diet and trying to stabilize. Good Luck!
Old 12-14-2006, 05:26 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Jeff got it perfect, start adding fat...your doing great!
Old 12-14-2006, 05:37 AM   #6
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Nick:

A slightly different take on the same issue. I started out 11 months ago 5' 8 1/2", 155, aronund 19% BW fat. PU max 1 (that's not a typo, one). Numbers astonishingly up across the board strengh wise. Weight 154, BW fat around 10, waist 33 now 31 1/2. I get asked all the time how much weight I lost and why. At 46 there's really no need for me to lose any weight or gain any weight, I'm just aiming for 8ish on BW fat. Smile, say thanks, follow Jeff's advice, and enjoy all of the "life benefits" associated with your fitness. Strong work.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:43 AM   #7
Elliot Royce

Profile:
A couple of points: first, ignore the people who make sarcastic remarks. Most of them are just being jealous. And of course, most people are inherently "conservative," i.e. resisting change. They'll get used to you over time. You (and perhaps your training partners) are the one who would determine whether you're too lean. Get an accurate lean body mass test done. I'd say if your body fat is less than 6-8% you may be too thin for optimal performance. Of course, people vary a lot so it's not that precise. But I don't think the incredibly lean, no muscle marathon build is what you want.

The other thought is that you should choose how you want to look. Some people here like to have surplus muscle mass (I play adult hockey and although it's not strictly necessary I like to be the biggest guy on the ice). Does it hurt my CF performance? Absolutely, I've probably got 20-30lbs of extra muscle that I could drop for CF performance.

Great work!
Old 12-14-2006, 06:01 AM   #8
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
1) You're healthy
2) You improved performance on EVERYTHING
3) YOU like how you look

That sums up everything important.

:censored: the naysayers!
Old 12-14-2006, 06:07 AM   #9
Frank M Needham

Profile:
Nick, do you eat zone, paleo, or what? Also, how long have you been at it?
Old 12-14-2006, 06:39 AM   #10
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Health is first priority. Now if you get to a lower body fat % and want to start gaining you need to:

1) Have less Metcon and more heavy lift days

2) Add more calories whether it be up the fat, protein or some carbs post workout

3) Make sure you have enough recovery days as muscles grow when you are not using them

You'll get there, good luck!