CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-14-2008, 02:22 AM   #11
Shane Rapp

Profile:
Re: Isometrics - 15-20% carry over off strength so if you do isometrics at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan Parvez View Post
I have read at many places that when you train a muscle you have a 15-20% carry over of strength at a joint in the particular ROM (Range of motion). So if a person used isometrics for a given exercise and used 5-8 different angles he could theoretically strengthen the joint at all the angles right? Wouldn't it be a good way of breaking through plateaus?
Ya, theoretically it could strengthen the joint at all angles. I've seen and read about people using isometrics to help break through a plateaus. What were you thinking about using the isometrics for? Strengthening in general or busting through a plateau? Maybe you should try putting them in your workouts for a few weeks and see how it goes? Just make sure they are intense enough.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:25 AM   #12
Zeeshan Parvez

Profile:

Quote:
Training like this would take a LOT of time. I'm thinking 8 different angles in the front lever. How do you go about doing this without overtraining. See, where I'm getting at.

It's much more efficient to just dynamic exercises throughout the rest of the ROM than what is necessary to hold the position.
You have a point, but isometrics allow you exert much more force and hold a much heavier wieght. So there is a dramatic increase in intensity, greater muscle breakdown, and more muslce build up.

As for your point about overtraining. For me it has never cuased overtraining. And the reason is that you don't spend too much 'energy' doing isometics. The dynamic component isn't there. And since you can holde a greater weight, you see much rapid progresses in strength gains than anything.

I think to satisfy my critics I will putting up a log of this workout, showing the strength increases. And why they are superior to any other system I have tried.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:28 AM   #13
Shane Rapp

Profile:

Quote:
Could you give me the Louie Simmons link on the subject
Ask and ye shall receive. Look under January 2006...

http://www.westside-barbell.com/articles.htm
Old 08-14-2008, 05:29 AM   #14
Matthew Stafford

Profile:

I don't have access to it at the moment, but one of the Bruce Lee books (out of the series of fitness and martial arts books that are out there) has a section about isometrics. Apparently, Mr. Lee did his research and was a fan of their use for specific purposes (strengthening the weak points of punches). I'm almost positive he provided references, although I thought the angular range was more like 6 degrees total.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #15
David Wood

Profile:

There was an extraordinary notorious prisoner in the UK named Charles Bronson (not the American actor of the same name). He was widely touted as "the most dangerous prisoner in Britain", partly for his craziness, and partly for his astounding strength . . . which was mostly acquired by isometrics (and having pretty much nothing else to do but train, since he was held in solitary a lot).

He eventually wrote a book, detailed here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solitary-Fit...8723327&sr=8-3 (safe link). Some have debated the ethics of spending money that will ultimately aid a criminal; you can decide that for yourself. I found it "interesting" but not actually all that practical if you don't have at least 4 or 5 hours / day to train.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:08 AM   #16
John Keiper

Profile:

Quote:
Could you give me the Louie Simmons link on the subject
I would love to give the link but I am not so good on computers LOL! Westside-Barbell.com under the articles section. Sorry. I really have to learn how use this thing better!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:17 AM   #17
Gant Grimes

Profile:

What if you visualized doing 5-8 exercises? You would have super strength and wouldn't have to train at all.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:34 AM   #18
Brooks Altman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
What if you visualized doing 5-8 exercises? You would have super strength and wouldn't have to train at all.
There was actually an article about, if you visualize your self going through the ROM in an exercise you became stronger. It was in Men's Health, so indeed factual.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #19
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Altman View Post
There was actually an article about, if you visualize your self going through the ROM in an exercise you became stronger. It was in Men's Health, so indeed factual.

Niiice
Old 08-14-2008, 09:34 AM   #20
Zeeshan Parvez

Profile:

Quote:
Ask and ye shall receive. Look under January 2006...

http://www.westside-barbell.com/articles.htm
Quote:
I don't have access to it at the moment, but one of the Bruce Lee books (out of the series of fitness and martial arts books that are out there) has a section about isometrics. Apparently, Mr. Lee did his research and was a fan of their use for specific purposes (strengthening the weak points of punches). I'm almost positive he provided references, although I thought the angular range was more like 6 degrees total.
Quote:
There was an extraordinary notorious prisoner in the UK named Charles Bronson (not the American actor of the same name). He was widely touted as "the most dangerous prisoner in Britain", partly for his craziness, and partly for his astounding strength . . . which was mostly acquired by isometrics (and having pretty much nothing else to do but train, since he was held in solitary a lot).

He eventually wrote a book, detailed here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solitary-Fit...8723327&sr=8-3 (safe link). Some have debated the ethics of spending money that will ultimately aid a criminal; you can decide that for yourself. I found it "interesting" but not actually all that practical if you don't have at least 4 or 5 hours / day to train.
Thank you for your help. I have supported isometrics and practiced it because I do not want to use weights anymore and the planche progressions made me feel that these isometrics can do a lot of good. Now with these references I feel assured that I was not losing my mind when I used isometrics in weight training and saw massive progress in weight lifting (when I used to lift weights that is!). Now since I do not lift weights, the only way i see of getting stronger is isometrics. Since you really cannot measure progress with isometrics when you do not use weights, these articles will help to remind me that it is working.