CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2008, 02:22 AM   #11
Shane Rapp
Member Shane Rapp is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Porterville  CA
Posts: 162
Re: Isometrics - 15-20% carry over off strength so if you do isometrics at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan Parvez View Post
I have read at many places that when you train a muscle you have a 15-20% carry over of strength at a joint in the particular ROM (Range of motion). So if a person used isometrics for a given exercise and used 5-8 different angles he could theoretically strengthen the joint at all the angles right? Wouldn't it be a good way of breaking through plateaus?
Ya, theoretically it could strengthen the joint at all angles. I've seen and read about people using isometrics to help break through a plateaus. What were you thinking about using the isometrics for? Strengthening in general or busting through a plateau? Maybe you should try putting them in your workouts for a few weeks and see how it goes? Just make sure they are intense enough.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:25 AM   #12
Zeeshan Parvez
Member Zeeshan Parvez is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lahore  Punjab
Posts: 59
Re: Isometrics - 15-20% carry over off strength so if you do isometrics at...

Quote:
Training like this would take a LOT of time. I'm thinking 8 different angles in the front lever. How do you go about doing this without overtraining. See, where I'm getting at.

It's much more efficient to just dynamic exercises throughout the rest of the ROM than what is necessary to hold the position.
You have a point, but isometrics allow you exert much more force and hold a much heavier wieght. So there is a dramatic increase in intensity, greater muscle breakdown, and more muslce build up.

As for your point about overtraining. For me it has never cuased overtraining. And the reason is that you don't spend too much 'energy' doing isometics. The dynamic component isn't there. And since you can holde a greater weight, you see much rapid progresses in strength gains than anything.

I think to satisfy my critics I will putting up a log of this workout, showing the strength increases. And why they are superior to any other system I have tried.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:28 AM   #13
Shane Rapp
Member Shane Rapp is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Porterville  CA
Posts: 162
Re: Isometrics - 15-20% carry over off strength so if you do isometrics at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan Parvez View Post
Could you give me the Louie Simmons link on the subject
Ask and ye shall receive. Look under January 2006...

http://www.westside-barbell.com/articles.htm
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:29 AM   #14
Matthew Stafford
Member Matthew Stafford is offline
 
Matthew Stafford's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gaithersburg  MD
Posts: 321
Re: Isometrics - 15-20% carry over off strength so if you do isometrics at...

I don't have access to it at the moment, but one of the Bruce Lee books (out of the series of fitness and martial arts books that are out there) has a section about isometrics. Apparently, Mr. Lee did his research and was a fan of their use for specific purposes (strengthening the weak points of punches). I'm almost positive he provided references, although I thought the angular range was more like 6 degrees total.
__________________
5'9" - 176lbs. - Down 30lbs. since starting CrossFit in July 2008
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #15
David Wood
Departed David Wood is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2002
 
Posts: 3,303
Re: Isometrics - 15-20% carry over off strength so if you do isometrics at...

There was an extraordinary notorious prisoner in the UK named Charles Bronson (not the American actor of the same name). He was widely touted as "the most dangerous prisoner in Britain", partly for his craziness, and partly for his astounding strength . . . which was mostly acquired by isometrics (and having pretty much nothing else to do but train, since he was held in solitary a lot).

He eventually wrote a book, detailed here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solitary-Fit...8723327&sr=8-3 (safe link). Some have debated the ethics of spending money that will ultimately aid a criminal; you can decide that for yourself. I found it "interesting" but not actually all that practical if you don't have at least 4 or 5 hours / day to train.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:08 AM   #16
John Keiper
Member John Keiper is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sciota  Pa
Posts: 34
Re: Isometrics - 15-20% carry over off strength so if you do isometrics at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan Parvez View Post
Could you give me the Louie Simmons link on the subject
I would love to give the link but I am not so good on computers LOL! Westside-Barbell.com under the articles section. Sorry. I really have to learn how use this thing better!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:17 AM   #17
Gant Grimes
Departed Gant Grimes is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 1970
 
Posts: 1,549
Re: Isometrics - 15-20% carry over off strength so if you do isometrics at...

What if you visualized doing 5-8 exercises? You would have super strength and wouldn't have to train at all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:34 AM   #18
Brooks Altman
Member Brooks Altman is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 22
Re: Isometrics - 15-20% carry over off strength so if you do isometrics at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
What if you visualized doing 5-8 exercises? You would have super strength and wouldn't have to train at all.
There was actually an article about, if you visualize your self going through the ROM in an exercise you became stronger. It was in Men's Health, so indeed factual.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #19
Aushion Chatman
Affiliate Aushion Chatman is offline
 
Aushion Chatman's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 3,342
Re: Isometrics - 15-20% carry over off strength so if you do isometrics at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Altman View Post
There was actually an article about, if you visualize your self going through the ROM in an exercise you became stronger. It was in Men's Health, so indeed factual.


Niiice
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:34 AM   #20
Zeeshan Parvez
Member Zeeshan Parvez is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lahore  Punjab
Posts: 59
Re: Isometrics - 15-20% carry over off strength so if you do isometrics at...

Quote:
Ask and ye shall receive. Look under January 2006...

http://www.westside-barbell.com/articles.htm
Quote:
I don't have access to it at the moment, but one of the Bruce Lee books (out of the series of fitness and martial arts books that are out there) has a section about isometrics. Apparently, Mr. Lee did his research and was a fan of their use for specific purposes (strengthening the weak points of punches). I'm almost positive he provided references, although I thought the angular range was more like 6 degrees total.
Quote:
There was an extraordinary notorious prisoner in the UK named Charles Bronson (not the American actor of the same name). He was widely touted as "the most dangerous prisoner in Britain", partly for his craziness, and partly for his astounding strength . . . which was mostly acquired by isometrics (and having pretty much nothing else to do but train, since he was held in solitary a lot).

He eventually wrote a book, detailed here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solitary-Fit...8723327&sr=8-3 (safe link). Some have debated the ethics of spending money that will ultimately aid a criminal; you can decide that for yourself. I found it "interesting" but not actually all that practical if you don't have at least 4 or 5 hours / day to train.
__________________
Thank you for your help. I have supported isometrics and practiced it because I do not want to use weights anymore and the planche progressions made me feel that these isometrics can do a lot of good. Now with these references I feel assured that I was not losing my mind when I used isometrics in weight training and saw massive progress in weight lifting (when I used to lift weights that is!). Now since I do not lift weights, the only way i see of getting stronger is isometrics. Since you really cannot measure progress with isometrics when you do not use weights, these articles will help to remind me that it is working.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS-BS carry over? Daniel Miller Exercises 6 03-15-2007 02:05 PM
Isometrics? Matt Thomas Fitness 6 03-01-2007 05:39 PM
How to carry the shoulder? joseph elberti Exercises 2 02-20-2006 08:15 AM
The New England Three Cord Carry Brendan Melville Workout of the Day 1 11-26-2005 03:16 PM
Isometrics Matt McManmon Exercises 5 07-26-2004 07:08 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.