CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-26-2006, 11:44 AM   #11
David Werner

Profile:
Martin

Your 800 meter run times are close to what I proposed in the Athletic Skill Standards

http://www.crossfitnorth.com/article..._Standards.pdf

Here is how they were derived. In order to run one mile at a certain pace, say 9 minutes, the athlete has to be able to run 800 in less than half of that. Looking at various track training books led me to derive the following formula.

(desired mile time - 20 seconds)/2 = 800 Meter time.

So, 9 minute mile minus 20 seconds = 8:40
8:40/2 = 4:20. 4:20 then is the target time for 800 meters for an athlete who can run a 9 minute mile. A beginner.

Using the same logic, I came up with the following 800 meter target times;

Beginner 4:20/800, 9:00/mile
Intermediate 3:20/800, 7:00/mile
Advanced 2:50/800, 6:00/mile
Elite 2:20/800, 5:00/mile

These times are not "advanced" or "elite" in a competetive track context, but they make sense in a GPP context. That's why my suggestion is a few seconds slower than yours, but we're in the same ballpark. And these times corelate well with what I've measured at the gym.

Regards
Dave Werner
Crossfit North
Old 05-31-2006, 07:40 AM   #12
Martin Schap

Profile:
David
That's interesting stuff. I had printed off the skill standards when they were posted a week or two ago, and it's nice to see your methodology. I admit that my standards were more based on my experience in competition, although I did try to make it a little slower than the athletes I ran against in college. Thanks again for explaining how you came up with your standards. it makes a lot of sense.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:19 AM   #13
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Thanks for the numbers Martin and David. I've just started running and I was looking for some guidelines. So far I'm a "lessthanbeginner"! :D
Old 03-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #14
Brian Smith brianisrighthere

Profile:
Re: Average/respectable 1km run time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Garcia View Post
just wondering what would be a respectable 1km run time? My friend said that the passing mark is 30 mins for 5km
Respectable, is finishing about 5 paces in front of the person you're racing.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:24 AM   #15
Alex Burden

Profile:

Flyer Handicap Calculator

http://academic.udayton.edu/PaulVand...calculator.htm WFS

It all depends on your age and weight and their age and weight to be able to compare athletes

It is a statistical calculation of your adjusted run time (5K, 10K, 1/2 Marathon or Marathon) if you were 25 yrs old and either 110 lbs (F) or 143 lbs (M) based on your actual age, weight and run time. In this calculation, the Flyer Handicap assumes that not only are you lighter but you are also a scale model of yourself and are, therefore, shorter..
Old 03-13-2015, 09:57 PM   #16
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Respectability depends on the class you are competing in and compared to, that's all. I wouldn't compare your self to people who are born gifted, built a lot different, run a lot, are in their prime (if you are not).

A 200m in 50 and some odd seconds doesn't sound very respectable, but it was a world record for a 95 year old man recently. I guess there aren't many 95 year olds to compete against so that helps too!

In my experience very few people can run a 6 minute mile or a 12 minute 2 mile without a lot of trainig - espeically highly muscled anaerobic athletes.
However, I am sure a greater % of 20-25 year old crossfit competitive athletes could compared to typical moderately active guys on the street.

A 5 minute 1km is I'd guess is about average, but average doesn't exist really.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #17
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I was a 445 mile in junior high and could still do a 440 in HS when only training for the 400 and the pole vault.

Had a few guys who ran 4:15-4:25 and I felt like they were miles ahead of me...

Now 8 mins is perfectly fine for me. I know a few Cf buddies who are sub 5 minute miles and have great engines and don't train for the mile. Rest are 5-6 min on average in decent shape.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:32 PM   #18
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
I know a few Cf buddies who are sub 5 minute miles and have great engines and don't train for the mile. Rest are 5-6 min on average in decent shape.
So you have a track background but can't catch a bus now, and your buddies don't and several clock a sub 5?

If they aren't competing at the crossfit national level they are in the wrong sport!

Last edited by Larry Bruce : 03-15-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:24 AM   #19
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bruce View Post
So you have a track background but can't catch a bus now, and your buddies don't and several clock a sub 5?

If they aren't competing at the crossfit national level they are in the wrong sport!
Well my issues come from being 40 this year and the last 2 years of heart issues. I have afib and my non worki out rate is 90 and it spikes fast from there. 2 years ago I was 270-300 BPM on a bad day/workout with all the fluttering.

So for me getting cardio is really hard. When I crash, I crash hard. Even after the ablations and cardio versions I still struggle to be able to maintain endurance stuff.

A sub 5 minute mile is not "hard" from an athletic point of view. If one has a good enough engine, can endure some pain/discomfort and learns how to pace themselves it can be pulled off.

The issue is most people go to slow and won't past some difficulty. Learning the right pace is key. 75 seconds a lap is a 5 minute mile. That is 18.75 seconds for a 100 yard dash. If someone ran a 12 second 100 that is only 65% speed compared to their lap speed. A 13 second is 70%. So if one can stay in that 65-70% range they should be able to last that 5 minutes. Toss in a "kick" at the end for the last 100-200 yards and you can shave a few seconds off there too.

Lighter guys do better at the mile vs bigger guys. Size matters. Crossfit and national levels require more than a sub 5 mile. I have seen many guys with good engines fail because they lack the skill (muscle ups, chest to bars, DU) to do well in the open.

Would I want to run a sub 5 mile again? Sure, but physically my doctor and my heart seem to believe that would be very difficult to happen again (toss in 5 kids and life and it gets even harder )
Old 03-17-2015, 12:53 AM   #20
Alex Burden

Profile:

Well today I tested the 1km run and did it in 5min 20 seconds which I thought was a pretty good time... now this was not to my max and I could hit the 5min mark with a little more effort.

I'm 45 at hit the scales at 100kgs or 220lbs, 6ft tall, in pretty good shape which also needs to be taken into account.

Now talking with those that actually run all of the time at the gym (tri-athletes) they were quite surprised I could run that fast being the size I am. SO I asked them if I could run 1km in 4 min would that be a good time? their reply was - that would be a really good time considering I am not a runner.

So what is an average/respectable time for 1 km.... it all depends on who you ask and what your focus area is.

If you want to concentrate on your 1km run, then that is what you will be good at, at the cost of strength in other movements.