CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-18-2005, 03:03 AM   #1
Zach Nikka

Profile:

ever since i have started crossfit, ive simply been taking the hardest ones ive experienced and doing them back to back. is this a good idea, or is it overtraining? right now this involves doing barbara,tabata,2 rounds of the "4 rounds of 400m run with some kind of gymnastic movement in between" thing, a grappling circuit i got out of grappling magazine, and the lions den workout posted in this forum before taking a day of rest. the main thing im concerned about is they all use high numbers of the same exercises. any thoughts? is this a bad idea?
Old 06-18-2005, 05:23 AM   #2
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Do you mean doing them back to back as in doing a whole bunch of them on one day or on succesive days?

Old 06-18-2005, 09:23 AM   #3
Zach Nikka

Profile:

like one on each day right after another. is this overtraining or is it alright?
Old 06-18-2005, 10:43 AM   #4
Russ Greene

Profile:

Let me guess. You're really good at high rep bodyweight exercises, but weightlifting, higher intensity gymnastics, and rowing are you weak points. When people pick their own workouts they often tailor crossfit to their strong points, meaning they don't get the full benefit. If you're going to pick and choose workouts, try to do so inclusively, so as not to lose out on some of the adaptations resulting from workouts like diane, mary, linda, and grace, which are just as important as those coming from the bodyweight workouts that you mentioned above. Having a strong posterior chain will be a big help in your wrestling, and pretty much every other activity, and deadlifts and olympic lifting are the best way to get one.

Almost Forgot He Was Previously Masquerading as Ross Greenberg
Old 06-18-2005, 10:50 AM   #5
Zach Nikka

Profile:

no im actually pretty okay at weightlifting, i used to do it exclusively for awhile...but i have no weights at home and no access to a gym besides my grappling gym which has no weights....so ive always just subbed in a workout i thought was really hard for all the workouts with o-lifting in them, which is how i ended up doing what im doing
Old 06-18-2005, 03:09 PM   #6
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I don't know how fit you are, but my thinking is that until you can do the WOD 3 on 1 off as prescribed with great times, forever; then don't worry about anything else. Make that your priority then build from that foundation, choosing workouts that you find difficult is exactly the right thing to do, repeated exposure to your weaknesses will eliminate whatever aspect of your fitness is lagging. But don't be in a rush to address every little point until you have that big a$$ foundation, you'll find that you conquer your weaknesses much quicker that way.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:34 PM   #7
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Whether or not it's "overtraining" has more to do with your condition than anything else. But it definitely is overtraining your strong points. Getting a good power-to-weight ratio and good lungs is super- but you'll hit a wall. That's the whole point of the exceptional amount of variety- you don't hit the wall, you run a little way around the wall, chip away at the base, build some stairs over the top, back up and get a running start...but I digress. Constantly training the same way has a finite span of usefulness. That's why most fitness sites are filled with pages of "and here's ANOTHER routine to try"- they're randomizing work, but haven't figured out how to max that out. If the issue is a lack of weights, they're still more you can do. Add Chelsea and Cindy to the mix. Get yourself some good handstand and pistol numbers. Where are the knees to elbows, hollow rocks, clapping and/or one-arm pushups? Dips? Alternate round/rep configurations? I too was deprieved of weights till a little while ago, and I mixed in thrusters with a cinderblock in each hand, swings with a bucket of sand, and cleans with a bag of garden bark. You'll get in killer shape doing what your doing, but there's nothing holy about those setups. Infinite diversity in infinite combinations, my friend.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:49 PM   #8
Zach Nikka

Profile:

thanks for the reply kalen. regarding cindy and chelsae, i replaced those with the lions den workout, basically because it felt harder and if i went for enough circuits the pushup/pullup numbers would always come out higher. i do hollow rocks just about every day, also, and i train dips and a few different kinds of pushups also. forgive me if it came off as this was all i was doing, i definitaly add alot of the other stuff crossfit recommends, but those are just the bulk of my work.

thank you all for your replies, i take it i am not overtraining and it is basically the consensus that i need to weightlift more also. appreciate it