CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:08 AM   #21
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:
Re: how did you find crossfit?

A ghost told me about it...really.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:53 AM   #22
Jacob Levin

Profile:

I had just started working out, and these guys with me were debating the benefits of squats over leg presses. I preferred squats, they preferred leg-presses, so I started hunting for things I could do on my own. I was making up my own routines when 300 premiered. The guy I went to see it with was already big into functional exercises, and we found Crossfit later that night.

Randy - elaborate?
Old 01-08-2008, 04:58 AM   #23
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

I was working at the YMCA and one night I had alot on my mind. I was walking out of the fitness room and some "dude" was sitting on the leg curl machine. Now, here's how I remember it - He said something to the effect of "I heard what you were talking about over there. You ever here of CrossFit? You gotta check out there website, crossfit.com." I was talking about how all I did was compound movements to one of the regulars. I didn't give much of a thought to it, but I later that night I was on the computer and remembered what this "dude" said and checked out the site. I was blown away. This was exactly what I had needed for so many years.

Here's why I say ghost. I had never seen this guy before, nor after that night. He wasn't a regular. I don't even think he was a member. The whole incident was a blur. I asked close to 20 people at the Y if they told me about CrossFit and they all said no. I drove about 1/2 hour away to a MMA school to try and track down this one guy I thought it might be, just for some peace of mind, and I couldn't find him. This one person single-handedly help alter the course of my life in a major way. Seems like an apparition to me.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:59 AM   #24
Andy Wagner

Profile:

Dan Johns referenced crossfit on his "Old School Strength Training" website.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:06 AM   #25
Judd Borakove

Profile:

I had been training for years and was getting bored. I had already moved to doing higher intensity compound movements.

THen 300 came out. I found crossFit and the rest is history..... I am drinking the cool aid for life!
Old 01-08-2008, 08:25 AM   #26
Sean Dunston

Profile:

My personal trainer. I met him at a Globo where he was the fitness director, and after a couple months with him, he opened his own Affiliate.

The rest is history.

The koolaid is good, filling and refreshing!

Old 01-08-2008, 08:26 AM   #27
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

I always been into sports.

But with growing up, society pressure that I was too weak to resist, I had less and less time to actually do sports. I then turned to gyms in order to keep in a decent shape while being efficient and having little time.

Years passed. PT to whom Id talk at the gym would come and go. One of them had quite interesting training regimen. At the time I met him this afternoon of august, I was thinking I was in quite the best shape of my life since I was religously coming to the gym 5 times a week since my work schedule permitted it.

The guy asked me: " Wanna do something really bad *** that will leave you sore for the next week? Have you seen the movie 300? Well it's the same training that they did, want me to show you a couple of things?"
Of course I answered: " Bring it on!"

Only a couple weeks before I had seen the movie 300, and was astonished by the level of fitness those guys apeared to have.

So the guy went to get kind of a D-ball that weigthed around 12-15#, and told me to do wall ball, but simply by throwing the ball above my head, not against a wall, and to do 150 reps for time as fast as possible. I was surprised by the simplicity but a bit scared by the 150 rep thing...

Then he made me do 150 slam ball.... I was really starting to feel it. I'm only playing with a little ball and I'm almost sweating like there's no tomorrow with my heart pumping like crazy... I taught I was in shape remember.

Finnally he showed me thrusters. I think I did them only with the bar ( 45#), he told me to do 100, again for time. I was exhausted. I was completely trashed. Barely managed to finish. Thanked the guy for that killer workout and asked him a bit more about it.

He simply told me it was only a little part of the training the actors for 300 did.

Searched for "300 training" on my good friend Google. Found Gym Jones. I was so thrilled. BOOM here it was. The foundation of that gym Jones thing, is here, it's that, it's crossfit, they forge elite fitness...

My life started that day.

After I had a couple of days recovering from the serious DOMS that training gave me. I couldn't go to the gym for 2 days, and I was still sore 7 day later.

I told that PT that He changed my life, and that I'll always be gratefull.

Last edited by Frederic Giraud : 01-08-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:26 AM   #28
James Conklin

Profile:

I was getting my oil changed at a Jiffy Lube a year or two ago. Picked up a magazine in the waiting room and there was an article on Crossfit. Looked interesting so I gave it a try. I have been "trying" ever since.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:24 AM   #29
Gary Maholm

Profile:

Randy, thats a great story.

It's funny how things happen in life. I found this purely by chance (as mentioned above) because some guy was being juvenile on a youtube comment. He has no idea that because of him i'm just beginning what i believe will help re-define me for years to come.

I now look at things in a totally different light.

I had a teacher once that was trying to explain to us that something as simple as the way you act in traffic every morning heading to work can impact multple lives. Never gave it too much thought because I didnt really like the teacher or the class but reading these threads made his lesson pop into my head.

thanks for sharing.

gary
Old 01-08-2008, 10:02 AM   #30
Tom Nguyen

Profile:

I was doing "p90x" and frequenting their community forums. One of the guys on that message board (one of p90x's top transformation) mentioned that he started doing this thing called crossfit. Checked out the website - thought it was crazy... 2 months later, came back to the website and decided to give it a shot. Haven't looked back since.

By the way, that guy who told me about crossfit now has an affiliate of his own in washington!

Check him out:

http://cowlitzcrossfit.typepad.com/ (WFS)