CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-13-2007, 11:15 AM   #21
Jason Tanner

Profile:

Re: A gallon of milk?

Isn't there ALOT of sugar in milk. I just checked it and for one cup it has 12 grams of sugar. I would def. love to try this but I'm just scared my insulin levels will spike like there's no tomorrow.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:14 PM   #22
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Geertsen View Post
Yup. I heard something like we can gain a maximum of 2lbs(muscle) per month if we do everything correctly.
Like Kris said, it does change for individuals based on age, gender, recovery, diet, training, and genetics. You must also include the weight you gain in glycogen (stored in the new muscle), water (stored with the glycogen), bone density, tendon mass, and just the fact that you will have abnormally large amounts of food sitting in your stomach while on a mass-gain program.

Gain weight steadily and moderately, and you'll be okay.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:55 PM   #23
Derek Heinonen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Warner View Post
He advocates this because most young atheletes aren't going to eat 4000 calories a day in solid food. So if they eat 2000 cal and drink a gallon of milk they are almost there. I don't think that drinking a gallon of milk is as important as the extra protein/fat/calories that come from it. It could be X amount of Y as long as you are still getting the calories from it. Milk is really nutrient dense and also convenient. I don't know a lot af 16 year olds who will grill 4 lb of chicken breast at a time so they have food for the next 2 days. If you can get all those calories in the form of solid food or a shake, then do it.
Quote from Rip: "...it has all the components necessary for growing mammals, which your trainees most definitely are. There also seems to be something special about milk that the equivalent amount of calories, protein, fat, and carbs can't duplicate in terms of growth enhancement." ....
Old 11-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #24
Bin Lu

Profile:

If you were looking for a solid-food way to put on pounds, then something we used to say in football for hard-gainers was, "Whenever you're thirsty, eat a peanut-butter sandwich."
Old 11-14-2007, 04:32 AM   #25
Kris Warner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Heinonen View Post
Quote from Rip: "...it has all the components necessary for growing mammals, which your trainees most definitely are. There also seems to be something special about milk that the equivalent amount of calories, protein, fat, and carbs can't duplicate in terms of growth enhancement." ....
There also seems.....not science has proven. Ok so replace 2000 cal of milk with 2500 cal of regular food if it isn't 1:1, or whatever the number may be. You can get protein from much better sources than milk. Most BBers do not touch milk since it as a protein source vs other sources it su cks . Carbs, you mean simple sugars ala skittles? Milk is such a processed food now that it is very different from what the heffer feeds it's young (colosterum...milk straight from the pregnant cow. That's where all the nutrients are at.). I love milk. My best friend owns a factory farm.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:59 AM   #26
Jake Winwood

Profile:

I would personally be aprehensive about drinking 1 gallon a day..

I can't remember the article but I remember reading a study done on the correlation between intaking high dosages of milk and developing autism. Humans are the only species on the plant that continue to drink milk after being weaned. It is a source of nutrition for a new born baby not a athlete trying to put on weight.

I havent done extensive reasearch into the topic but i believe there are better ways to gain nutrition than drinking a gallon of milk a day. If you wanted to gain weight artificially why not try steriods?? it could be just as bad for you and you could get better results..

my 2cents would say take in a higher percentage of protein and fats in your diet from quality foods not just from a gallon of milk
Old 11-14-2007, 05:05 AM   #27
Zac Stutts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Warner View Post
There also seems.....not science has proven. Ok so replace 2000 cal of milk with 2500 cal of regular food if it isn't 1:1, or whatever the number may be. You can get protein from much better sources than milk. Most BBers do not touch milk since it as a protein source vs other sources it su cks . Carbs, you mean simple sugars ala skittles? Milk is such a processed food now that it is very different from what the heffer feeds it's young (colosterum...milk straight from the pregnant cow. That's where all the nutrients are at.). I love milk. My best friend owns a factory farm.
you do realize where whey and casseine protein come from, right?
Old 11-14-2007, 05:23 AM   #28
Kris Warner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac Stutts View Post
you do realize where whey and casseine protein come from, right?
Yes. milk is processed to the which makes it more difficult to digest than it's "protein only" products mixed in water.

Last edited by Kris Warner : 11-14-2007 at 05:30 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:57 AM   #29
Garrett Smith

Profile:

One of my biggest issues in this debate is when people even begin to put raw milk in the same category as pasteurized homogenized factory farmed "milk".

They are not the same. Pasteurized dairy is not good for anyone, it should be treated as a junk food. If you're afraid of raw milk (I'm not), then don't use that either.

CFers are mainly supposed to avoid processed foods. Pasteurized homogenized dairy is one of those.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:46 AM   #30
Kris Warner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
They are not the same. Pasteurized dairy is not good for anyone, it should be treated as a junk food. If you're afraid of raw milk (I'm not), then don't use that either.

CFers are mainly supposed to avoid processed foods. Pasteurized homogenized dairy is one of those.
This is what I was getting at. A friend of mine has my copy of SS, but I didn't think Rip was suggesting raw milk.